tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/27/24 9:55 a.m.

I see I'm not the only one having trouble with the forum! 

So I've duplicated that a lot, but I'm not going to go back and fix it now because I have to go work on the truck!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/27/24 10:01 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/27/24 11:14 a.m.

Body color repaired on fender and door and cab. The traffic jam is when I push the cab back in (in the rain) the garage and then push the rack back in (with the door and fender hanging) to push the bed (around the front of the cab) into the tent for its body color repair.

If I had a second gun for clear then this would be eight times easier. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/27/24 12:29 p.m.

Globs. For some reason the gun threw globs at two areas, wrecking them instead of fixing them. The paint pot life is reported to be one year. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/27/24 12:55 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Globs. For some reason the gun threw globs at two areas, wrecking them instead of fixing them. The paint pot life is reported to be one year. 

Pot life must not mean what I thought.

When disassembling the gun I found ribbons of cured paint. 

I'm stuck with bedsides which still need more work. I'll move to clear now. If I can get the fenders in clear and attached today I'll be pretty happy. I don't se m to have the door bolts anywhere so I'll wait on those. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/27/24 2:34 p.m.

Hood just sitting there and fenders not aligned yet. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/27/24 3:02 p.m.

I recognize I'm like talking to a woman currently in labor about having more kids, but I never want to do this ever again. I tried to put a coat of clear on the doors before I had to leave today, but I scratched them trying to hang them up and I need to put base coat on again. I had forgotten that I cleverly hid a hanger in the hinge hole, and so I tried to hang it by the window channel again. I forgot to clear the two patches I had to fix on the cab before putting it all away, even when I had more clear mixed up and ready to go. Again, just a failure of timing. I have a business trip tomorrow so I have to put away the tent tonight and then take it back out in 2 days to finish. I didn't have anywhere to put the hood so I decided to put it where it goes, and of course we scratched a fender putting it down there. I stare at it from the front and I can see way too many mistakes and issues. I still have to resand the bed and hit it with more body color because of my misunderstanding of what pot life meant.

It's getting closer, this was all positive progress, but it's mind-bogglingly frustrating.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/27/24 7:56 p.m.

My painting videos are all voice-overs, so you don't hear me screaming profanities from the mask over the top of the gun and compressor running.

I hear you loud and clear.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/27/24 9:36 p.m.

To be fair to yourself, you are doing this while multitasking the rest of your life. That adds an  order of magnitude to the difficulty level.

To the eternal frustration of my wife, I have never been a multitasker nor understood those that are. For me, painting a car is like driving a transport truck  full of radioactive waste around a road course; if my mind is not in the zone, fully focused on the task, it won't end well. I do have the advantage of being able to cuss in three languages, so that does come in handy.

It is looking good and do note that if you were not pointing out the flaws, we would probably  never notice them. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/27/24 9:54 p.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/27/24 9:57 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Thanks! 

I'm really trying. I'm fixing at much at I can as I go, for sure. Today I had a moment. I went to start bolting the inner fender on, and I remembered painstakingly painting the frame with chassis saver, back when a $50 can was as valuable to me as the $532 can of Motobase. I painted the firewall, cleaned up the wiring, made the engine pretty and painted nicely and ready for the rest. Those tasks happened over years, now they all look shoddy against the brilliant shiny yellow inner fender (even with no wet sanding). Then again, everything bolted on, so something went right. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/29/24 10:06 p.m.

I am home now from my business trip. The plan was to take tomorrow off, I had ordered the base coat that I needed to finish off the a-pillar repair at the door and the bedside repair from my gun splatter problem, then attach the doors to the cab after clear coat and then think about getting people over here to put the bed back on after its clear coat. 

In actuality, the base coat is not here yet, maybe it will arrive tomorrow afternoon. I have a tiny bit left which I may use because I have the day anyway, but I'm not sure it's enough. 

I could not find the bolts for the door hinges and the doors, so I can't attach the doors until that comes on Saturday. 

All in all, the plan is not likely to come to fruition tomorrow.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/30/24 11:49 a.m.

Basecoat doesn't arrive until Friday, so that's sad. 

Kid 1 helped me attach the inner fenders to the fender, and to bolt the hood to the hood hinges and get it on right. It's not aligned, but it's all fitted. It's a wild mess to bolt all of those together, and very difficult with shiny new paint. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/30/24 1:41 p.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/30/24 1:42 p.m.

The grill is just sitting there

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/30/24 1:56 p.m.

" I cant stop looking at that".... Says it all.

Ignore any and all of the minor blemishes, you are, and should be,  pretty proud for seeing this to the end.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/30/24 2:01 p.m.

I really like that color combination Period I think the grill may need to be darker, but I'll Reserve that until I see it all in the daylight. It's looking freaking amazing Brian. You should be proud of what you've done

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/30/24 2:08 p.m.

Thanks guys!!!

Right now the grill is just primer, it still needs a bunch more work before it's ready. I'm still thinking White but I'm not really sure anymore. I know that the field behind the GMC letters on the tailgate needs to be white. I know that I want to do some sort of dark nickel cerakote style coating on the mirrors, door handles, and interior Chrome stuff. 

The grill could go either way honestly. So could the bumper. Right now the white grill and the cerakote type coating on the bumper sounds perfect but I'm not sure anymore.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/30/24 2:37 p.m.

Food for thought. Everything is just sitting there. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/30/24 4:21 p.m.

I think we all start assembly at the headlights. Same as when I bring the wiring to life, headlights and then running lights are the first to come on line.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/31/24 9:26 p.m.

I had a bare spot come through the basecoat on the cab. I sanded an area I taped off, then hit it with more basecoat, cut the tape line with a razor, then recleared the area. 

I can see the line through the clear. 

Help. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
5/31/24 9:30 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I can't see it from here! 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/31/24 9:52 p.m.

There are lots of clear runs because the gun messed up and the painter didn't notice. Don't mind them here. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/31/24 9:56 p.m.

Now to the gun. All the sudden I looked at the gage and saw 15 psi. What? Crank the regulator and that's as high as it goes. What? Pull apart the filter post regulator. It's fine. What? Apparently the air control knob keeps walking on its own and I don't notice until I've put runs everywhere. Now I have tons of sanding to do before the next coats and also a gun knob which won't stay put. Thoughts?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/31/24 9:59 p.m.

Nice work, Tuna!  FWIW, I vote for white grill with body color accents!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tpGC5Y5smFkEHjqMskU6rGGBhzamvqlWruPfCMu77qNxv1VdI2jzmozuAnTyyPMe