NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
3/9/24 2:44 p.m.

I thought I started a build thread on this before but I don't see it so maybe I didn't. In calendar time this started a long time ago, in hours spent it's just starting...

I picked this up on October 30, 2021 for $200. Seems like it is good shape, no batteries but tested and shown to be functional. I was thinking another picnic table type thing but fix a couple of design issues I don't like. 

the picnic table rocks but it's long which makes it hard to transport. I was thinking a little shorter, better turning radius. I called it the Chair-e-iot because I was thinking Adirondack Chairs and a cooler and umbrella. Now a couple years later maybe that, maybe not 🤷‍♂️. 

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
3/9/24 2:57 p.m.

I just did a golf cart build back in the fall. It was a fun discration for a few weeks and suprizingly cheap to do compared to any other projects I would have otherwise been doing. Plus the family loves it. Cruise around the neighborhood on nice days.

Picnic table wise...my brother build one out of a zero turn mower. Didn't turn well so he moved the rear axle in front of the driver (on mower at back). I turns great...also requires someone to weigh down the front in order move it, AND will rip wheelies with 8 people on it!

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
3/9/24 3:04 p.m.

I really did all the work so far in 2 spells. Over the first few weeks that I had it I took off the plastics, cut off the dash and then relocated the steering. I also took some pics for documentation. 

plastic off

then I cut the dash area off and relocated steering up, not sure if that's going to work or not, that's why I didn't not have it bolted. 

I added some wood to see what the deck could look like on it. 

I also flipped it on its side to know what is under it for structure. 

Then I lost interest, parked it in the shed and left it. I didn't want to spend the money for steel for the new deck. About 6 months ago I came across a steel A frame that held a street sign for $5, grand total $205, still not sure where I'm going at this point but I know have some scrap steel to go with my butchered golf cart. This got my interest up but I had a few other projects in front of this. 

About a month ago I got it back out and started to work on it again. I'll cover that in the next post and we will be up to speed. So I am 28 calendar months into this but probably 3 weeks of occasional work. 

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
3/9/24 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Asphalt_Gundam :

Agree, golf carts are cheap and fun to work on. My picnic table does no wheelies but it does 20 mph smoothly and quietly down the road. Wheelies would be fun though!

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
3/9/24 4:43 p.m.

Over the past few weeks I put the cart back in the garage and started cutting up the sign board. I made a perimeter frame and some cross members. I want to keep it as low as possible but still retain the running gear and a flat platform. I like to make a move and look and think. 

cart in the shop with the a frame behind it

got half the frame there and took some measurements to see how much I had to extend it. 

then I got it setting in place and I can think about supports. 

now got the first support bolted up and tacked onto the perimeter frame. It's a little flimsy so there will be some reinforcement coming. 

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
3/9/24 4:47 p.m.

One thing I keep trying to figure out is what am I building? Pit cart, another picnic table, chairs, bikes. I still haven't got there. Thought of the whole cycle bar thing and then maybe something like a rail road bicycle thing but none is it yet. 
I'm open to suggestions from the hive here...

Pirate ship?  🏴‍☠️ 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
3/10/24 3:08 a.m.
Asphalt_Gundam said:

I just did a golf cart build back in the fall. It was a fun discration for a few weeks and suprizingly cheap to do compared to any other projects I would have otherwise been doing. Plus the family loves it. Cruise around the neighborhood on nice days.

Picnic table wise...my brother build one out of a zero turn mower. Didn't turn well so he moved the rear axle in front of the driver (on mower at back). I turns great...also requires someone to weigh down the front in order move it, AND will rip wheelies with 8 people on it!

Not to derail Nick's thread but I have a spare electric zero turn chassis and drive system... pictures please.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
3/10/24 10:35 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

The only picture I have of it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tp3Twh8CJR9oGrTxzMHwP2xCBhrAEJcYo4afOwUAmw8kBeW7FBkItu5T7x1MIirh