Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/3/24 8:56 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

I haven't been recording what I'm spending on this project, because I'm sure it's too much.  But I checked the renegade site and here's a quick breakdown.  

local used transaxle $800

trans mount 595

axles 995

Hydraulic clutch kit 495

boxster shifter and cables (eBay) 150

trans mount spacers (fab'd by local shop) 100

I'd love to fab more of the components and piece together some of the "kits" I've purchased from Renegade and other places myself but this project would take twice as long doing it that way and I just don't have the time. 

my coolant leak "fixes" were not successful.  I've gotta drop the engine down again.  Sad.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/3/24 9:16 p.m.
captainawesome said:

Also don't know if you've read it yet but these can be a pain in the ass to bleed the coolant system. Depending on how you did plumbing at the thermostat and back of head lines it can make a huge difference. 

I've actually got a fill location on both sides of the thermostat and a spot on the radiator I can bleed out air.  I believe I'm able to fill the system fully.  I just can't currently keep the damn coolant in it.  πŸ€¬πŸ€¬

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/3/24 9:33 p.m.

So far you seem to be making good progress, I'm sure you'll get the leaks sorted soon enough.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/4/24 9:16 a.m.

35 Crown Vics and 103 total cars signed up so far for FF this weekend.  Pit parking is full and teams are being pushed into overflow.  πŸ˜³. 50% chance of rain πŸ‘Ž

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/4/24 6:26 p.m.

Entry count and purse have grown.  I love the goofy prizes that sponsors throw in. "$50 Waffle House gift card for last place"

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
9/5/24 8:29 a.m.

That turnout and purse is impressive.  Timing worked poorly for me.  I'll be down in a couple weeks (9/19-922).  Wish I could see this race. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/5/24 9:43 a.m.

That's fantastic. Good luck!! 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/6/24 2:18 p.m.

Made a trip to Miami to check out a reasonably priced 987.2 base Cayman.  Crappy dealer intentionally posted a misleading price $7k lower than they were actually willing to sell for.  So instead I'm bringing home this 01 Boxster base with IMS sticker for $5k. It'll need de-slamming but seems solid. My bank account is much happier with this purchase. πŸ˜‚

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
9/6/24 3:03 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Damn! Where did you find an IMS'd Boxster for $5K??

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
9/6/24 3:28 p.m.

Those base Boxster's aren't the quickest things but with the top down the induction noises coming from over your left shoulder make you forget all about that. Enjoy!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/6/24 4:25 p.m.
dyintorace said:

Damn! Where did you find an IMS'd Boxster for $5K??

Boca Raton.  Rich kid from Vegas. His parents just bought him a new Supra. This one needed out of the yard!

he says it's dropped on "coils" but I couldn't get a good look.  Hoping they're something decent quality and I can just spin them up a bit and not have to replace them. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/6/24 7:32 p.m.

This thing is pretty decent!  Front bumper has a lot of chips, Lil crease over the passenger rear fender, test pipe throws an o2 code on hard acceleration - luckily PO has a little live obd reader mounted to check/clear easily - and needs tires.

But the deep black interior is in great shape, fresh-ish glass window top, exhaust/intake noises are fantastic and the low-ness is growing on me a bit. (The "coils" don't look to be anything special).  Looks like stock struts.   Didn't drag at all coming on/off the trailer.  Clean carfax and a folder full of receipts, a/c blows ice cold, 135k miles, don't have to carry full coverage or "worry" about it like I would a Cayman!  Winner!  So far, the best $5k car I've ever bought   Let's see if any puddles form overnight   

*and an interesting little tidbit: one of my dads most memorable cars as I was growing up was his 1987 911.  That car and this both have 217 horsepower, according to Google, and weigh very close to the same.  

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
9/6/24 8:17 p.m.

I feel like you need more cars.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/6/24 9:11 p.m.
captainawesome said:

I feel like you need more cars.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Challenge mr2 Spyder is on the chopping block if anyone wants to make an offer!

the reason for this purchase: wifey and I had planned an overnight stop at Deal's Gap/tail of the dragon on the way up to the WV hillclimb, but at the last minute, I was informed I needed to attend a novice orientation at the event, a day earlier than expected.  Our reservation in NC could not be refunded, but it could be moved. So we opted to take a couple days in December to go up to the Dragon.  None of my sports cars are comfortable distance cruisers or have air conditioning...until now!

next day update - not a drop of fluid under the car!  I think I'm going to leave the stance alone for now.  It rides quite well.  I think my immediate "mods" will just be some wheel studs and new tires. I'm likely going to try one of the cheap options from Tire Streets/Accelera.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/7/24 1:44 p.m.

It's like Days of Thunder out here!   Hot as balls too!  Most of these teams spent the night and were running practice yesterday.   I'm here just in time for the 2pm drivers meeting. 

hobiercr
hobiercr UberDork
9/7/24 2:30 p.m.

I recognize that tech shed.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/7/24 3:45 p.m.

40th/48 Vics in the first 5 min practice session.  Didn't get a clean lap in that 5 mins but I'm fairly sure I'm not gonna get into the top 25 for the A-main.   Good news is the B-main has trophies and payouts too. 

our next 5 minute practice counts as qualifying.  I'm gonna give it hell.  We'll see!  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/7/24 5:47 p.m.

Welp, moved up to 38th in the qualifying session πŸ˜‚. So B main for me.  But my pit neighbor gave me some solid air pressure help (he qualified 16th).  So maybe I'll be a bit faster.  The field is super tight.  The top 16 qualifiers are within 1/10th of a second. 
I'm 8/10 of a second back from the pole sitter.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/8/24 12:25 a.m.

Car felt better with the new tire pressures.  Started 10th, finished 7th.  No prize money or trophy but had a great time!  

*edit. I just read positions 1, 2, 3 and 5 got DQ'd in tech after the A main.  Lol 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/8/24 4:46 p.m.

Going backwards πŸ‘Ž

wiped the brake dust off the wheels πŸ‘

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/9/24 9:05 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

Car felt better with the new tire pressures.  Started 10th, finished 7th.  No prize money or trophy but had a great time!  

*edit. I just read positions 1, 2, 3 and 5 got DQ'd in tech after the A main.  Lol 

So you got 3rd then?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/9/24 10:42 a.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:
Lof8 - Andy said:

So you got 3rd then?

Unfortunately, no.  I was in the B-main (slower half of the total entries).   Those DQ's happened in the A-main (faster half).   I don't know if they even do a tech inspection for the B-main.  But they'd surely find some DQ-able offenses there too.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
9/9/24 11:52 a.m.

What were some of the offenses?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/9/24 12:30 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

What were some of the offenses?

Most commonly, it's an aftermarket tune on the ecu. Basically everyone runs it because tech inspections are inconsistent.  But I've heard of people getting popped for illegal suspension modifications as well - trying to get more camber.  I didn't hear what these guys specifically got DQ'd for, but I'd bet they're all tuned computers. 

it probably wouldn't be a terrible tactic to shoot for a 6th place finish in one of these "big purse" races.  Top 5 finishers go to tech after the race.  When those guys fail, I don't believe track officials go searching for 6-10.  I think the prizes just shift down the line. 

*im pretty certain I smelled someone running race gas in the B main. πŸ˜‚

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
9/9/24 5:29 p.m.

I did a little more investigating on the Boxster's setup.  Off-the-shelf Eibachs, oem shocks and some ECS wheel spacers - nothing too extreme.  I guess I'm just not used to how low these cars are.   So I'll not be doing any fiddling with the suspension. That's a plus!  I ordered a set of Armstrong Blue Trac tires from TireStreets, barely over $600 for the set and some extended wheel studs and nuts from MotorsportHardware.  Hopefully that's about all I'm gonna do to it.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ZvqHB6x8y1dpAVp0aZRhoerXP4tKl9ACHf2X13kRRW6u03IdYKdAwCqvqhCnmHl