19 20 21
jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
7/16/24 11:35 p.m.

I've got a horrible alternator whine in my m3/4/5 and am hoping it is these cheapo homemade crossovers that someone gave me years ago.   I bought some  nice focal ones and need to install but reading about your fiasco has me hesitant that they will fix my issue....   know of any lines on another p01 headunit or something that has Bluetooth and no whine??? 

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
7/17/24 6:57 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

I've got a horrible alternator whine in my m3/4/5 and am hoping it is these cheapo homemade crossovers that someone gave me years ago.   I bought some  nice focal ones and need to install but reading about your fiasco has me hesitant that they will fix my issue....   know of any lines on another p01 headunit or something that has Bluetooth and no whine??? 

As I understand things, crossovers are rarely the source of whine; it's usually related to a ground loop, or speaker/RCA cables being run next to power/ground cables.  I'd be wary about installing some nice, but random, crossovers that weren't designed for the speakers you're using.  How do you know if the crossover points and slopes are correct for your speakers?

The Japanese P01 doesn't actually have BT, but the US version DEH-P99RS does.  The only problem is the US versions cost almost double what the P01 does, and at that price I'm not sure they're worth it. 

Do your due diligence in tracking down the whine before buying other parts, I just got lucky that mine was coming from the headunit.

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
7/23/24 10:19 a.m.

Alright, let's get back to the project.

After installing the CLD on the roof, I covered it all with 3M Thinsulate.

And was just barely able to install my badly deformed headliner.  It's ain't pretty, but it's a lot better than the bare metal I'm used to!

So here was the first draft of my amp/crossover board:

I started trimming it down and rounding off the corners

I had to glue another piece to the back since the back of the back seat has all sorts of high and low spots, and I needed to change where the bolts were going to go.

That center section goes up against the center pass through, which was barely held in place with one or two tiny tack welds.  That wasn't going to be nearly enough to support the weight of the amp rack, so I welded it up.

And painted it real quick

Added some CLD

Painted the rack, mounted up and amps, and did a better job at cable management

Added some CLD to the bottom of the speaker grilles to try and get rid of rattles.  It's an improvement, but it's not solved.

And then I finally got to play around and try to set the gains properly.

More on that a little later!

19 20 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eGnn67gRm1lY9J25aPaOSSt4md9r8T61ce2qC5UhiRvVoSl4Y1EkvJ1npobSEmUf