TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/25/23 3:38 p.m.

Carb together, new European spec needle etc, new fuel inlet ID larger than original's OD, cleaning turbo housings.....

Before pic for comparison (It's the same carb)

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/30/23 4:49 p.m.

Billet compressor wheel, new turbine shaft etc.....almost together.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/2/23 4:49 p.m.

Wastegate actuator bracket not even close to right...country of origin wasn't listed but I am pretty sure where it came from...had to mod it ....

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
10/2/23 8:04 p.m.

That's a really cool Stromberg setup. Are there any specific things needed for it to work with the turbo, aside from enlarging the fuel inlet?

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/2/23 9:06 p.m.

It is setup for an adjustable needle (has a threaded adjuster which gives a finer adjustment than the grooves on a motorcycle one) and running a Euro B2AR needle. 
May play with damper oil viscosity once it is running to tune fueling under acceleration and I have a couple of other ideas....will be using wideband on it to monitor air/fuel ratio

You can use them blow through also (Volvo did this in Europe) but I am keeping it draw through in the spirit of the original build in the '70s.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
10/3/23 9:06 a.m.

Thanks for the info.  I'm having thoughts about using a similar setup for my Midget 1500. I think there might be enough room to fab something similar. 
Cheers, Paul 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
10/3/23 10:14 a.m.

Neat!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/3/23 10:02 p.m.

In reply to eastpark : there was  a MG Metro turbo with a blow through SU carb....

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/6/23 5:05 p.m.

I am fortunate to live near Ocean City MD where there are hot cars everywhere twice a year!

and a hot Lotus!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/10/23 9:29 p.m.

Went to mount my small alternator because the original was ugly and heavy, only to discover the vertical faces for the stock alternator mount were machined by a blind person using an angle grinder as they weren't square to anything useful to me  :o 

Then I thought about making a new mount ... And then "simplify...then add lightness" entered my thought process and I decided to use one of the bell housing bolts and a spacer from the hardware store 8)  

Trying to figure out the exhaust as I am seriously constrained by the radius of the mandrel bends ....  first effort will not let me use the luggage bin... I will search for tighter radius bends for my "touring" exhaust that will allow luggage bin usage  ;)

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/11/23 4:56 p.m.

$4 belt tensioner....revised "touring" exhaust allowing use of luggage bin .

The turbo is the muffler :)

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/11/23 9:47 p.m.

Holy E36 M3 that alternator's gonna be spinning fast!

edit: maybe not. It's driven by cam, so half crank speed.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/16/23 4:15 p.m.

Exhaust finished with O2 sensor bung, support brace bracket, welding etc. Support made, Festiva throttle cable disc/pulley/lever(?) fits Stromberg with slight modification.

Need to make a custom throttle cable and bracket.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/16/23 4:41 p.m.

The new turbo system and exhaust is 40.8 lbs lighter than the original build's system:)

Nukem
Nukem Reader
10/16/23 5:49 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

That's a serious reduction!

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 Reader
10/16/23 11:28 p.m.

Can't wait for videos of it running.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/17/23 6:26 a.m.

In reply to chiquito1228 : It seems like the list of "one more thing to do" never ends....

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/23/23 5:23 p.m.

My fourth grandkid(3rd grandson) showed up this past week so minimal Lotus work :)
Drilled new hole in compressor housing to move water/methanol injector farther upstream to minimize bias going into intake manifold (that's not the injector). Using a Harley air filter until a later date to design something better (like everything on this project , not a bolt on, fabricobble involved)...decided to add a v-band flange to up-pipe as it is a nightmare to get to the turbo exhaust flange bolts and removing the pipe in the future to facilitate a starter change etc. will be a nightmare.... V-band on order

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/30/23 4:08 p.m.

V-band clamp added to up-pipe , now hopefully I can assemble the exhaust with the body on....throttle cable pulley needed more wrap so I added a piece of tubing I bent and split open to extend it. Working on adding breather hose to air filter base.

Grunion
Grunion New Reader
11/1/23 2:03 a.m.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your build! Nice work.my only concern is the torque on that giant pulley might wear the cam bearings and seal prematurely? I must have missed something? Keep up the great work!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
11/1/23 6:34 a.m.

In reply to Grunion :that is how the factory did it....I believe people only use enough belt tension to keep it from slipping to minimize any possible issues. I am pretty sure Chapman borrowed it from Renault....

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
11/6/23 1:30 p.m.

Exhaust can now be assembled with body on the chassis  :) Finished air filter setup for breather etc.
Working a new throttle cable….boy is it fun to get that little cotter pin out of it way in there , where it attaches to the pedal, glad the doors are still off !

I have probably had the turbo on and off the engine 20 times now....

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/6/23 1:56 p.m.

Nice work! Two things:

1. In this installment of "Americans will use anything to avoid the metric system," I see your car is almost exactly 5 NJ license plates wide.

2. Exhaust looks great! What finish did you use?

gixxeropa
gixxeropa Reader
11/6/23 3:06 p.m.

Nice stuff, that exhaust sure is pretty.

I'm gonna have a radiator right behind the license plate, so I might have to do something similar to you in terms of cutting out that panel. Haven't decided if I'll cut it out and put some steel mesh in there or just drill some speed holes in a grid over it. Would you do it the same way if you were to do it again?

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
11/6/23 9:35 p.m.

I used VHT 2000 degree  Ceramic paint with the same clear coat over it....it may hold up as it didn't burn off the up-pipe adjacent to the heat affected zone when I welded the v-band flange to it....fingers crossed

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8O1FmUylgyarnrmwJC3h9VI3M3qdGa7fgte8N0X5xxQCFBzXiE1uQRV1LLy8FwtQ