1 2 3
ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
5/16/13 12:50 p.m.

I realize this is offbeat, even for us...but I know some will appreciate it. I've got a deal on this neat old Ford 8N Tractor:  photo P1010496_zpsa6e60a20.jpg The back story is that the Mrs. just purchased 16 acres. It will be a future home site, and a place to enjoy our hobbies/lifestyles (hers: Horses and such. Mine: projects that neighbors don't want to see). The tractor (and its fenders, which are included but not installed) should show up sometime next week. The seller has offered to deliver it. For those that don't know...the old Ford "N" Tractors really aren't all that functional when compared to modern machines. On the other hand...I've purchased this one for less than a new low end (or used high-end) riding mower would set me back. $1,550. It will do what I want it to: Mow Grass, Run a "Brush Hog", and some light grading or snow removal. Aside from the low cost of entry...the other major plus I see to this tractor is that I figure as long as there are replacement tractor parts available...there will be parts for the 8N. I can't drive 10 miles down a rural state highway here without seeing at least a couple of these. I've looked at a few of these for sale...and this one had the right combination of condition (not restored, but not lost to neglect), price (I'm buying it with the money from the sale of my E30), location (the delivery REALLY helped...since my trailer is another subject of a build thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1989-car-hauling-trailer-refit/59467/page1/), etc. This isn't a "build thread" but it is a project (...a working project) so I figured I'd post it here. Thanks for looking! Clem

cdowd
cdowd Reader
5/16/13 12:54 p.m.

I think this is very cool.

Chris

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/16/13 12:54 p.m.

And what good is a tractor without something to tract?

So...the first implement is a used 6' finish mower:

Craigslist brand. $325.
 photo FinishMower_zps94d25012.jpg

It needs a u-joint in the PTO shaft and the blades need sharpened. It isn't pretty...but should help knock the grass over. And in a 6' swath...not bad!

I picked this up last night (5/15/13) with the help of SingleSlammer (thanks Jordan). I don't have the tractor yet...but when it shows up, I'll have something to do with it!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/16/13 1:02 p.m.

Awesome! Two of my friends own NAA Jubilees. I really like all the N series tractors. And, of course, you always can swap in a Flathead...

http://www.awesomehenry.com/

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/16/13 1:02 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: the old Ford "N" Tractors really aren't all that functional when compared to modern machines.

True, but the new ones aren't nearly as cool.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
5/16/13 1:09 p.m.

Yeah, 8N's are cool looking, hammer-simple, and really do most of what the average Joe asks of a tractor that size. They just don't have a radio and air conditioning and cupholders and massaging seats and and and.

Dad has had two, one Jubilee and one regular 8N. Still has the Jubilee, I think. I grew up driving them. Great little rigs. The only recurring trouble he ever had was getting water in the points when it rained. Aside from that, its just been minor wear and tear items.

Nice purchase. Congrats on the real estate purchase as well.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/16/13 1:14 p.m.

Yeah...I've had a lot of folks (including the seller of this N) try to talk me out of getting an N.

Mainly due to the lack of "live" PTO.

The thing is...I'm a gearhead...and I like old stuff.

I'll have other tractors (heck...as is my style, I'll probably get another N so I can always have one running)...but this is my first! And I'm happy (says the guy who doesn't actually possess it...yet).

This thing was built about the time my parents were...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/16/13 1:17 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: Nice purchase. Congrats on the real estate purchase as well.

Thanks! It's exciting on many levels. Not least of which is that it gives a reason to own a Ford 8N.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/16/13 1:22 p.m.
Woody wrote: Awesome! Two of my friends own NAA Jubilees. I really like all the N series tractors. And, of course, you always can swap in a Flathead... http://www.awesomehenry.com/

Well, it's already a flat head, just not a V-8 flathead. You can swap in a SBF.

I'm trying to figure out how to graft 8N sheetmetal onto my 3000...Just because it's cooler.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
5/16/13 1:22 p.m.

My dad had one of those back in the 80s. I'm still not sure why....

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
5/16/13 1:24 p.m.

Back40 stuck car un-sticker.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/16/13 1:26 p.m.

8n Valkyrie..

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/16/13 1:28 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: My dad had one of those back in the 80s. I'm still not sure why....

Because race tractor.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/16/13 1:37 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Well, it's already a flat head, just not a V-8 flathead.

Doh! I had NAA Jubilees on the mind. Those were OHV.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
5/16/13 2:29 p.m.

i grew up with Farmall superC/SuperH's but we had an 8N for a while.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
5/16/13 10:37 p.m.

From one 8N owner to another: purchase an overrunning clutch for the PTO if you plan on doing any mowing with it.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
5/17/13 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Yep, Dad's a BIG H fan, but his current ride is an Allis D10.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/17/13 1:12 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: From one 8N owner to another: purchase an overrunning clutch for the PTO if you plan on doing any mowing with it.

Thanks SBF. Good news is that I was aware of this and the better news is that the 8N already is equipped with one! You can kinda see it peeking out underneath here:

photo P1010495_zpsc1104ccd.jpg

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/17/13 1:22 p.m.

Looks like it's set up to turn right...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/17/13 1:44 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: From one 8N owner to another: purchase an overrunning clutch for the PTO if you plan on doing any mowing with it.
Thanks SBF. Good news is that I was aware of this and the better news is that the 8N already is equipped with one! You can kinda see it peeking out underneath here:  photo P1010495_zpsc1104ccd.jpg

Good deal.

I have to ask, what the hell is that behind the seat??

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/17/13 1:47 p.m.

My dad and my father in law both have 8N's of different flavors. Or maybe my father in law has a 9N. Good tractors for doing tractor stuff. I like 'em.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/17/13 7:14 p.m.

They're a good general purpose tractor. My 8N has a front end loader and I've done all sorts of random stuff.

I've plowed, disked, and mowed with it. I've dragged other tractors out if the mud with it.

They serve their purpose well.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/18/13 9:07 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: My dad and my father in law both have 8N's of different flavors. Or maybe my father in law has a 9N. Good tractors for doing tractor stuff. I like 'em.

I believe that is the mechanism for the adjustable seat.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
5/18/13 9:10 p.m.

That is the seat frame with "suspension" (and I use that term loosely).

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/19/13 1:06 a.m.

Mine is a "One Size Fits All"

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MpbX44j13QZoWWRi3Wq0vlvlEaFX8MMes5RxXE3NmzOld5GsNDXrrF1OIOBarIH8