No Time
No Time UberDork
7/22/24 10:57 a.m.

Delving into the world of MINI with the recent acquisition of a 2009 Cooper S with approx 20k miles. It's a 6 speed with the only options being sport package and xenon headlights. No cruise, radio controls, or other options  

The car was my father in-laws baby and after his passing my BIL cared for it for 10 years. It has now moved on to our household and will be used as a pseudo daily during the salt free months in NE. 

It needs some TLC, but nothing major, so this will be more of a maintenance and use thread. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/22/24 11:13 a.m.

There's a few things on my to-do list so far:

- New key fob (non replaceable battery). One sort of works and one doesn't work, so I think it's safest to buy one new (cry once) then try replacing the battery in the one that doesn't work. 

- Rear hatch handle needs replacement. The rubber part of the handle deteriorated to the point of failure, and the switch sort of works. (new one in order). Looks like it will be changed from body color to chrome since the latch is all part of an assembly with the license plate lights and trim. 

- Headlights need adjustment. It's almost like they were adjusted with the high beam on instead of lows. The xenon's go through their leveling cycle, but are set too low. I can drive with highs on and no one flashes me. 

- Phone mount to be able to use gps and see screen. Not high priority, but annoying on drives where I need directions. 

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/22/24 11:24 a.m.

Make sure it's had the recall for the timing chain, if it hasn't and they won't do it now due to its age, spend the money. A timing chain failure on these sends the car to the scrapyard.....either as a permanent resident or for a used engine, and I guarantee you won't find one with only 20K on it!

I had a 2009 and had mine done under the recall at 50K, and at 115K it was still working fine. so it's worth doing if you want to keep the car (on the road) smiley

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
7/22/24 11:27 a.m.

It's missing a sticker

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/22/24 11:32 a.m.

That is a great color!

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/22/24 1:05 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

I'll check with dealer when I go there for the fob. I know it had the HPFP recall done, but I don't think the timing chain has been replaced. The few videos I watched make it seem like it's possible to DIY, but not fun to do. 

Is the timing chain a case of when, not if, it will fail? Do they provide warning?

Are the failures defect related, or a result of extended service intervals specified by the manufacturer?

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/22/24 4:11 p.m.

So first experience with Mini dealer was not great. 

I called to see about ordering a new fob and getting it programmed. The first dealer I called was in Warwick, RI. They wanted me to drive an hour there to show them the registration and my license just to order the fob, then go back again to pick it up and have it paired with the car. 

The second dealer was a bit more reasonable, and I was able to email a scan of the documents to place the order. Still an hour drive each way to Rockland to get it when it arrives, but better than having to go in person just to order.  

I'll bring SWMBO with me to get it and we'll go someplace near the ocean for some seafood and harbor views. Just need to figure out where to go to eat. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
7/22/24 5:58 p.m.
No Time said:

In reply to MiniDave :

Is the timing chain a case of when, not if, it will fail? Do they provide warning?

Definitely a case of when, the chain tensioner doesn't provide sufficient tension on the chain, causing the chain to stretch.  The stretched chain is then even more under-tensioned, until it damages the chain guides and breaks.   There is a rattle at idle from the chain area of the engine that can be heard when the chain is not tensioned properly.

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/22/24 8:59 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

Sounds like I need to plan for it, but if the engine's quiet on cold starts then I have time.  Once it's starts to make any rattle on a cold start then the timing chain needs to be done asap. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/22/24 9:06 p.m.

Tonight's project was fixing the latch for the hatch. I ended up going with chrome, even though the original was painted. I didn't see any good way to move the painted cover from the old to the new. 

It was easy enough to do with just 4 screws and one electrical connector. It was surprising to see how much dirt was trapped behind it. I saw some spots where there is bare metal under it, so I'll need to touch them up to prevent rust. 

Photos showing before and after:

Original:

New:

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/22/24 9:20 p.m.

Oh yeah, there was a minor repair I made the first day with it. 

The vents had all lost the ability to hold a position, and within a minute or two would be pointing at the floor. The temp fix when I got it was business cards tucked between the vent and the dash socket. 

The more permanent fix was to use the soft side of self adhesive Velcro. I cut small (3/16"x 3/8") pieces of Velcro, rotated the vents all the way up, then stuck the Velcro to the top inside of the dash opening as far back as I could place it. It took a bit of wiggling to rotate the vents back down past the first edge without peeling the Velcro off, but now they all stay where pointed without any sign there was ever a problem. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
7/23/24 10:16 a.m.

Pretty smart fix!

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/23/24 9:21 p.m.

This evening I did some reading and went through all the paperwork that came with the car.

There was some good news hiding in all the inspection and service receipts:

- oil has been changed annually in September with when the state inspection was performed, so approx 500-800 miles and 12 months.

- brake fluid has been changed a couple times

- new oem pads and rotors installed at approx 15k miles.

- The recall for the auxiliary water pump was completed.(no evidence of HPFP replacement, so this may be the pump my BIL was referring to).

- The recall for the timing chain was performed at approx 15k miles. Based on the paperwork it was done just in time. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/23/24 9:24 p.m.

I also found the window sticker. The option list was short:

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/23/24 9:34 p.m.
dculberson said:

That is a great color!

It feels like the correct color a mini should be.

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/23/24 9:37 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:
dculberson said:

That is a great color!

It feels like the correct color a mini should be.

That's how my FIL felt when he ordered it.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/24/24 1:12 p.m.

When I ordered my 2009 Clubman S, I got roof rails, zenons, cold weather package (heated seats, mirrors and washer nozzles) sport seats in std vinyl, metallic paint (Laser blue), automatic gearbox with flappy paddles and roof in body color. Clubby's were quite a bit more money than a standard S and mine stickered out at $29,500 IIRC.

Glad the timing chain was done, the new kit seemed better engineered and I don't know of anyone who ever had a problem after getting the new stuff installed - but prior to the "kit", they tried several different tensioner designs (3 - I think) and even 1 new chain. The kit has all new guides, tensioner, sprockets and chain in it - all good stuff. Good enough that the N18 engines that followed never had a t-chain problem.

I've run into the issue with the key fobs and needing proof of ownership before they would sell you one, but I guess that's not a bad thing......I wouldn't want someone able to get a key to my car just by asking. I don't understand why the battery isn't replaceable, although it is a rechargeable type - it charges when the key is docked in the car.

No Time
No Time UberDork
9/16/24 2:32 p.m.

Next on the to-do list, clutch replacement. 

I'll add more information in the future, but for the moment here's some photos:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
njibvOiTfdU4RBZCb94DgJascW12oJAPyXSq56VrPhXZVrnZW8CXjAKyIWgCOZIP