3 4 5 6 7
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/18/18 5:02 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

My tool kit for this adventure consists of a cell phone with data and you guys. You'll get me home, right? 

I can help ensure your safe passage through Central Indiana.  What's your intended route? You're welcome to stop in and see all my stalled projects.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/18/18 5:10 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty details like route or weather or where my sunglasses went. It's a Miata, I'm just going to point it vaguely south and see how it goes. This is the right time of year for Miatas to migrate, right?

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
10/18/18 5:21 p.m.

If you happen to be passing through Columbus on 71 south and need anything soon into your journey let me know. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/18/18 5:43 p.m.

My guess is 71/65 to Nashville then hang a right.  

mazdeuce - Seth
10/18/18 6:04 p.m.
Patrick said:

My guess is 71/65 to Nashville then hang a right.  

This looks to be correct. In all honesty, I've been over pretty much all of these freeways dozens of times in the past 20 years driving back and forth from Texas to Michigan. If I hadn't just got back from the Challenge and have a plane ticket to go close up the cottage the next weekend I'd probably want to explore a bit. This trip I'm probably going to squander any extra time hanging out with Pat and the family and looking at all of Pat's cool stuff. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
10/18/18 6:44 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Don't be a Bob Costas. I drove Gainesville to Dexter on Sunday. That was 17 hours from start to finish, and Seth, I'm old enough to be your father. Say that last bit in a Darth Vader voice.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/18/18 9:54 p.m.

Yeah, but miatas are slow and loud... especially on the highway and with the headlights up

mazdeuce - Seth
10/19/18 6:07 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

I could be awesome, but I'd rather hang out with Pat and then get home for dinner on Sunday. I have enough on my car calendar this year to feel like I've earned my meager chest hair. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
10/19/18 8:59 a.m.

This is how the day starts dropping the kids off at school. And then no line at all for airline security, AND they built a Which Which at the airport since the last time I was here. This trip is kicking ass so far. 

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
10/19/18 9:23 a.m.

My bet is the airport/flying is the worse part of the trip. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/19/18 9:26 a.m.

I'm going to bet that the wind noise from behind your left ear on the soft top is the worst part of the trip

mazdeuce - Seth
10/19/18 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Pat's picking me up at the airport, so that's going to be awesome. And I brought fun stuff for his kids, so that'll be awesome. And then I get to drive a Miata home. I think I could package and sell this E36 M3 as a vacation.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/19/18 9:28 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I'm going to bet that the wind noise from behind your left ear on the soft top is the worst part of the trip

Dude, hard top. Keith says I'm going to love it. 

wae
wae SuperDork
10/19/18 9:37 a.m.

You will. I was actually a little bit excited that the weather started getting cold and I could put my hardtop back on.  Much better visibility compared to the softtop, too.

I'll extend the offer as well: if your travels take you through I71/I75 in Kentucky, I'm about 10-15 minutes off the Mt. Zion Rd. exit with a warm bed in the guest room and a wide variety of whiskys.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/19/18 9:40 a.m.

I’m going to my buddy’s house now to finalize his new garage plans, then when i get home i’m starting a roast so we can have some good food when you are done flying 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/19/18 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I've just switched my CL challenge car searches to a 100 mile radius around your house. laugh

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/19/18 12:17 p.m.

I do that once a week.  I’m trying hard to stick with what i have, but i won’t turn down a $500 clean miata that I can LS swap.  

Side note:  dinner smells good already 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
10/19/18 1:30 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Dusterbd13 said:

Dude, hard top. Keith says I'm going to love it. 

In my experience the hardtop makes more wind noise than a soft top because it protrudes further beyond the window glass. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/19/18 1:35 p.m.

Our Which Wich closed earlier this year, I have to drive to Slidell now for it. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
10/19/18 3:29 p.m.

Guess I better ship off the other part that I found for you when I unpacked from the move since miata is incoming. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/19/18 8:26 p.m.

If you guys have any questions about how great a guy Seth is, he brought my kids a book and is reading them their bedtime story

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/20/18 7:09 a.m.

I hope the trip goes great!  I know you're not looking for extra stops but if you decide to go through MO on I-70, we're in Columbia and  here for whatever you need (Meals, tools, long rambling stories, a bed, whatever).  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/20/18 10:24 a.m.

Seth has left the building with his new car and 2 jars of homemade salsa.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/20/18 10:52 a.m.

I already miss it

mazdeuce - Seth
10/20/18 11:54 a.m.

The traditional first fill picture a few miles from Patrick's house. I have a million great things to say about my night on his comfy couch, but I'll save that for after I get home. 

50 miles down the road from that and I'm stopped for food, check the oil, give it a once over. It drives nice. There are a few weird suspension pops but I suspect they're all shock top related based on their location and frequency. Motor seems to run great, shifts nice, heat and cruise work. The car is much more comfortable cruising at 55 than 75 which makes sense given it's late 80's origins. And finally the hard top is fantastic. This is the worst Miata I've driven by just about any metric but it's already my favorite. 

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CoJMRCR1a6zRpigFNs9X9Fq5DEDcLRwf1exERMrcJ1i86dcvDxNfbv9p9T4riBoj