4/14/24 12:25 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

https://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/rotary-buzz-re-amemiya-20b-europa/

I always thought re-ameniya did the flares look right especially the rear

Slow_M
Slow_M Reader
4/14/24 1:50 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I don't know about 13" wheels, but I have come across "Centerline Forged" wheels in 15" size and they were under 11 lb.  I've had my hands on two sets over the years and in both instances I bought them pretty cheap.

Centerline used to design their wheels for drag, not road racing, if you tried using them for road racing, they'd crack the spokes under load. Easier to make it light if you can ignore certain load conditions, like any lateral loading. They were garbage back in the day, so TO ME, they still are. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
4/14/24 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Evanuel9 :

I like the round wheel arches on that, looks good

rdcyclist
rdcyclist HalfDork
4/14/24 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Slow_M :

Exactly. IIRC, the SCCA in the early '70's banned them from road race builds because of the cracking around the lug holes. As stated they were drag wheels and didn't take kindly to side loads. I believe these were billet wheels so the forged ones might not be crap but I'd keep a close eye on them...

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
4/26/24 11:24 p.m.

shaved the brake pedal down on the mill at work. Rounded it over on the bench grinder after. Getting those last few millimeters of foot space is critical on a Europa

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/8/24 3:12 p.m.

What did you end up doing for seats? Mine are quite rusty and I would like to do the "easy" button I think .....

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
5/8/24 7:21 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Honestly I still haven't settled on anything. I'd really like the Tillett seats but the price is hard to swallow

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/8/24 9:13 p.m.

I'm a cheapskate building a Lotus .....

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
5/22/24 4:56 p.m.

in its new home. look at all that space, seems like I need a new project or three 

also nice is that it fits the trailer super well. can get in and out without any more gymnastics than is normally necessary for a Europa. Also found out that it handles off-roading admirably, due to the locked rear diff , almost wanna put big tires on it and go on some trails

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/23/24 7:21 a.m.

Love your new garage space! 

You want to take the Europa off road?

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
5/23/24 8:01 a.m.

Not really, but it did climb a slippery, steep hill in my yard super well. One that my truck sometimes has trouble with 

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/23/24 10:05 a.m.

So it should hook up pretty well on pavement then!

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
5/23/24 12:37 p.m.

Now that I'm a bit more rural I'm hoping to test that

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
5/23/24 3:21 p.m.

Testing is always fun ....

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
6/13/24 7:51 a.m.

been experimenting with vacuum bagging carbon fiber and made this plate. Not sure what I'll use it for, maybe blocking off where the radiator used to be in the frunk. Gonna try to make a hood for the Europa at some point because for some reason mine is way heavier than the ones I've felt from twin cams. Like at least twice as heavy.

Also, pulled out the body stiffening frame/ half cage to repair the firewall and mold a new footwell 

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/13/24 5:27 p.m.

My "hood" weighs 11.5 lbs and decklid 13.3

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
6/13/24 6:42 p.m.

I think the twin cams felt lighter than that. Maybe 5-6 pounds

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/13/24 9:13 p.m.

Mine is a Twin Cam that has never been wrecked so original parts.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
6/13/24 10:23 p.m.

Maybe they started laying up the fiberglass on mine at 11:50 and dipped off halfway through to go to the pub

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/14/24 7:18 a.m.

Sent you a PM on the Lotus site ...

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/16/24 9:20 a.m.

Did you decide how you are going to flare your fenders?

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
6/16/24 9:42 a.m.

Not really, but I kind of like the tires poking out so I may leave it like that for a while

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
6/19/24 11:43 p.m.

Firewall all patched up

I just made a template of the rotten panel, then made a correspondingly shaped flat plate of fiberglass using a piece of whiteboard as a "mold" then glassed it in. Could have used some core material if I felt like it but I didn't have anything suitable and it's plenty stiff without

gixxeropa
gixxeropa HalfDork
6/19/24 11:45 p.m.

I needed to trim the firewall anyway because it was interfering with the roll bar a bit, so I knocked out two birds with one stone on the repair and made the new panel flush instead of standing proud of the surface

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
6/20/24 6:31 a.m.

I will be doing this at some point!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FnxajakTg8tZbH8jgxgt7IXUK1vObgC2ctb73IieiPFQtbcX6yKkogp9Lt7uDrlc