914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/7/24 7:42 a.m.

Fresh flywheel, new clutch, new pressure plate, almost ready except I don't have one of those plastic alignment tools.  Did the best I could with a 1" dowel.

IknowIknowIknowIknowIknow, I KNOW - - If it doesn't go, don't force it.  I know that.  After two days of tussle, frustrated, I tried pushing it.  NFG.

Now we all know.....

84FSP
84FSP PowerDork
6/7/24 7:55 a.m.

That'll buff out.  Ouch - maybe weldable if you fully dissasemble?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
6/7/24 9:07 a.m.

Could you use the transmission without the bell housing to line it all up and tighten, then remove trans, and then install bell hosing and trans??

hopefully that's an easy-to-find bh....

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/7/24 9:30 a.m.

ugh, that sucks.

I've done most clutches without an alignment tool, just a calibrated eyeball. 

Are you sure it wasn't the pilot bearing giving you trouble?

zordak
zordak HalfDork
6/7/24 9:47 a.m.

You are not alone

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/7/24 10:26 a.m.

Ugh sorry to see that. On the plus side I thought it was the transmission case. Glad it's "just" the bell housing. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
6/7/24 11:05 a.m.

At least it's just the bellhousing and not the engine block. I've done that on an auto trans with a buddy. We had the wrong torque converter spacer and cracked the starter ear of an aluminum LS3 block.

preach
preach UltraDork
6/7/24 12:42 p.m.

Well, that sucks Dan.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/7/24 12:47 p.m.

Isn't that the one with the bellhousing cast into the engine block? Either way that absolutely berkeleying blows man

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/7/24 4:34 p.m.

I have another trans and bell hang, just a PITA.  The 346 housing gives a little room; I can hang the flywheel lightly on the pins (one loose bolt to keep it there) and slip the housing down behind it.

322 bell housing fits the block but with less comfort,flywheel  has to go in from the bottom. 🤬

Flywheel & housing are on, oh look what time it is! 🍺

Flywheel slid off the boss, down the wheeled cart the engine's on and stopped at my arch. That set me back an hour or so and two ice cube trays.

Safety First !!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/7/24 6:11 p.m.

Intergal bellhousing?

FUUUUUUuuuuuu....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/7/24 7:13 p.m.

No, not integral.

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/7/24 8:20 p.m.

Ok I've never seen that before. That looks like it takes some over torquing of something to do that. I've had very good luck with a dowel and ductape. Dowel fits the pilot bushing and then just wrap the dowel with duct tape to fit the disc. Works like a charm. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/8/24 7:36 a.m.

I spoke with a guy 3 hours away that has been doing Cadillac & La Salle stuff since he was a kid.  He's got another bell housing if necessary.  He suggested aligning the clutch-pressure plate as well as possible and leaving it very loose.  A little patience and a lot of wiggling it's in; then go back and tighten the PP up.

He's coming to this area in 10 days or so to drop off an engine for machining, he may stop by.  Will bring parts if I need them, but so far so good.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8rvFBMT7KAeYxGkSBkDUTMLXWPMNMFjfUK3WDUwfpJTd1uzp70J6P6sdDQOZmfgn