Turbine
Turbine Reader
12/17/22 1:10 p.m.

Its here!

Turbine
Turbine Reader
12/17/22 1:37 p.m.

So what did I buy?

if you know 5 cylinder Audis, you might recognize this as an AAN from a C4 S4/S6. This means a pseudo COP ignition vs the 3B's distributor, and a serpentine belt accessory drive vs the earlier V-Belts. Unfortunately, the cooling system is completely different since the C4 cars had a front mounted radiator vs the T44's side mount. I THINK I've got everything needed to make this work (intake, fuel rail, water manifold, etc) but we'll see. I'll also need to extend the wiring to reach the AAN's cam position sensor-the 3B read cam position using a hall sensor in the distributor. Other than that, it's just a clutch and RS2 style exhaust manifold away from firing up. Maybe. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/17/22 2:22 p.m.

Can you use some of the parts the euro UrQ or S2 used when they put the 20v 3B/AAN in there?  Those cars were still side mounted radiators...

Turbine
Turbine Reader
12/17/22 5:05 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Good call! There's probably some crossover. I'll have to do some cross referencing on the parts. I know at least a few of the coolant hoses don't match up.
Thankfully, after looking through everything, I really do think I've got most of the difficult and hard to find stuff covered. There are probably a few odds and ends I'm overlooking though 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/17/22 6:51 p.m.

I loved the AAN with RS2 stuff in my old UrS4.  That motor has such character and is really robust

Turbine
Turbine Reader
12/17/22 9:40 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

It really is! This one's getting an RS2 rep manifold and a Volvo turbo. It'll be roughly equivalent to the RS2. Maybe a little less top end, but it'll spool a bit faster. Should be fun! 

Turbine
Turbine Reader
12/17/22 9:43 p.m.

I snuck back out to the garage, got the intake and water manifold pulled off, and started to clean things up. I see a lot of degreaser and wire brushes in my future 

Turbine
Turbine Reader
2/5/23 6:39 p.m.

Lost a lot of my motivation after finding the damage to the front subframe, but I was able to pull myself out of my funk and get out to the garage this weekend. 

so far, we've gone from this: 

to this:

The wrinkle coat on the valve cover came out okay. I probably should've waited until it was warmer, but oh well. I still need to modify the coil packs to fit, fit up the CCV, and find an RS2 exhaust manifold. 
I had gone back and forth on whether or not to tear everything down and repaint it, but I really just want to get the car running and driving at this point. The plan is to run it as is for a while and when it breaks, or I get bored of it, I'll build/clean/paint the engine then. 

Turbine
Turbine Reader
2/18/23 9:07 a.m.

Big and exciting day yesterday! I went up to Cleveland and got most of the parts I need to finish the car. 

First, the front subframe. It looks rough, but the rust and dents are just cosmetic. Thankfully it's straight and the bushing pockets are intact. 

Next, the front bumper. When I bought the car, it wasn't installed, but I was promised I'd get it as soon as the P.O. finished cleaning out his shop. I'd been talking with him on and off for the last few months trying to coordinate something, but nothing was working out. Finally, we worked something out with Cary, the owner of a local shop that specializes in these cars (German Auto Pros) to grab one out of his stock. I still don't know what happened to the original bumper and at this point, I'm not sure that I ever will, but oh well. This one's rough, but I think I'll be able to clean it up enough to make it presentable. Thankfully all of the tabs and mounts are intact 

Cary's shop was a gold mine of parts for these cars. I wish I'd had more time to check it out and shop around. I did at least leave with a new exhaust manifold. It's an older STR log manifold, still new in the packaging. Not as exotic as the RS2 manifold I'd been looking for, but this will be more than good enough for the power I'm aiming for, and it was about 1/8 the price lol no pictures of this yet, but I'll get them soon

And finally, as a bonus, I got to see my old car! Remember this thing from the very first post? It looks quite a bit better now 

Cary bought it sans engine from the guy I originally sold it to, installed another AAN, and now it's getting ready for a built k24-7400. 

Turbine
Turbine Reader
2/19/23 7:24 p.m.

Two updates in one weekend? Sure. 

I stripped and repainted the new subframe with POR-15 and installed some poly SF mounts and 034 trans mounts. Hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with a bushing for a while. My lifespan's been shortened a few months from burning the old ones out. Worth it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Bonus shot of the exhaust manifolds. Stock one's on the left

de80q
de80q Reader
2/20/23 3:39 p.m.

Very nice!  I'm glad you were able to find the parts you needed.  

Turbine
Turbine Reader
2/20/23 9:29 p.m.

In reply to de80q :

Thanks! I really underestimated how hard finding a replacement subframe would be. It totally killed my motivation for a while. Even with the engine in the shop 

de80q
de80q Reader
2/22/23 12:02 p.m.

Unfortunately parts for our old Audis can be difficult to find.  Even parts for my B3's are becoming increasingly difficult to find, which is one reason I e had to make some.  

What are your thoughts on the POR15?  I need to strip my suspension soon for another overhaul.  Figured this time I would do something to help the subframes out.

Turbine
Turbine Reader
2/22/23 2:31 p.m.

I've been happy with it so far, but we'll see how well it holds up once the car's actually mobile.

I've been doing basic prep and it seems to be sticking well. Just hitting it with a wire wheel, spraying it down, cleaning with acetone, then brush painting the parts. I've been buying cheap brushes and treating them as single use lol 

Also, try not to get any on your skin. It'll take days to come off 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/23/23 5:33 p.m.

That body style really aged well, and I love the pearl white. I'm glad to see some being preserved and restored.  

Turbine
Turbine Reader
2/26/23 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks! Hopefully this resurrection won't take too much longer lol I'm ready to drive! 

Turbine
Turbine Reader
2/26/23 1:19 p.m.

Yesterday, I assembled the front subframe and prepped it for install. HPR poly subframe bushings, Powerflex poly sway bar bushings, and 034 Street Density transmission mounts. 

Then, after SWMBO and my daughter went to bed, I went back out and tried to get everything installed. This led to probably the strangest lower control arm install I've ever done. 

The front sway bar in these cars rides inside a bushing inside the LCA. You can kind of see it in the first picture. In order to get everything attached correctly, I had to install the ball joint and pinch bolt into the upright, then lined up the sway bar in all three axes using two ratchet straps and a floor Jack. One strap compressed the ends of the bar together underneath the car while the other pulled the arm and upright forward. I didn't have any strong points to attach the strap to, so The Pumpkin came to the rescue. Looks more dramatic than it actually was. If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid, right? That's what I've always been told at least. 

Turbine
Turbine Reader
3/10/23 3:35 p.m.

Hey, look! I'm doing more brake work on a car with no engine. 

This is the vacuum brake booster from a euro model VW phaeton. A guy in Poland makes kits to adapt these into the c3/c4 chassis cars. This will get rid of the hydroboost brake system that came on the car, and help deal with the parts availability issue. Sure, if the vac booster fails, I'll have to source a new one from Europe, but it's better than a series of totally NLA parts. 
Getting the old hydraulic booster out was fun, and I can only imagine how it's going to be getting the new booster installed. 

But eventually I got here, then stopped for the day 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/10/23 4:30 p.m.

You still have those e36 parts?

Turbine
Turbine Reader
3/10/23 5:20 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Just sent you an email back. I'm so sorry! Your message must've gotten buried in my inbox

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/10/23 6:37 p.m.

Well plus you don't have to deal with the bomb, or stuff breaking in that system and the weird pedal feel etc

Turbine
Turbine Reader
3/10/23 8:16 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Very true! 

jlw3141
jlw3141 New Reader
3/11/23 10:35 p.m.

hey that beatup new subframe looks familar lol.. Yo man!  just randomly stumbled across this thread somehow googling 3b intercoolers (if you google "audi 3b 200 intercooler options" youre like the 10th hit for some reason hahah)..   You've made some great progress even since we meetup in cleveland.   Makes me realize how much im slacking on mine- it looks decent and is on the road, but i have a boatload of the similar parts sitting around waiting to get installed one of these days- 17z's/brackets , vac booster, tube manifold, k24 7400, bigger fuel pump... 

Keep it up looks awesome! theyre fun cars

-Jason

here's my avant for good measure

Turbine
Turbine Reader
3/12/23 5:11 p.m.

In reply to jlw3141 :

Hey man! Thanks again for the subframe lol it worked out great! 
Love the Avant too! That color combo is perfect.

I'm really itching to get mine on the road, but I know that as soon as it's roadworthy, my motivation to fix things will be about zero. Hopefully it'll be all together by this summer/fall though. Progress is gonna slow down dramatically for a bit, now that my daughter's been born! 

Turbine
Turbine Reader
3/20/23 5:51 p.m.

Booster's in and plumbed! Not as big of an undertaking as I'd feared, although trying to plumb the new clutch line was a bit of a PITA. I had to move the fuel lines and remove the PS reservoir and bracket to get the booster in place. The reservoir should go right back in, but I'll have to figure something out for the fuel lines. No biggie. 

It's a mess of wires and hoses in the engine bay right now. Really triggering my OCD lol 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aF5nHX890s15eLKgotqrsL3DvLGKcwOl8EeftpmVk7lORNiwEZnIt8lq1tRUAweU