loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/8/24 7:58 a.m.

After about 60 hours of sanding, sanding, sanding I have handed the car off to professionals for final bodywork and paint. If I had just bolted/welded on stock width fenders, there would have been almost no bodywork required but stupid me, I had to run wide tires on the car. From now on, I'm a patina guy

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/8/24 9:16 a.m.

What colour will it be?

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/8/24 11:47 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

What colour will it be?

It will look pretty much like this car but with carbon hood,spoiler,mirrors and door handles

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/13/24 10:19 p.m.

I decided that I do not have the bodywork skills to get the Camaro to the level I want, so I took it to a professional with 50 years of experience. He has already removed one of the fenders and stripped it of the filler and started over. He used a hammer and dolly and has it so straight that it's only going to need a bit of glaze to be perfect. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
2/15/24 9:57 p.m.

The body work world is nuts. People don't realize to go from ok, to good, to great is a boat load of time and money

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/15/24 10:09 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

The body work world is nuts. People don't realize to go from ok, to good, to great is a boat load of time and money

Yes, my bodywork guy said he's glad I am learning to appreciate his trade because so few people do. He told me that my panel gaps were perfect and he also admired the ambition I showed in actually widening the car the way I did. He's impressed how "factory" it looks and how it doesn't look a tacked on thing or like box flares. I'm going back tomorrow to look at the updates, can't wait

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/16/24 8:20 p.m.

I went and looked at it today and the right side of the car is almost ready for primer. He looked at the left side and figures it requires even less work than the right side. Here are the pics I took

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
2/17/24 11:14 a.m.

Gonna look so good sir.  Beautiful work.  I can sense the lack of fingerprints from all the sanding.

RSB373
RSB373 New Reader
2/25/24 7:31 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

I have been following your build and it is very impressive.  I am starting my 1967 build with many of the same ideas you have, in the strip down phase now.  Could you take a few pictures of your brake lines at the intersection/ distribution block at the rear axle and the front to give some ideas / items used? I am running detroit subframe up front and a 4 link with gearfx axle.  I will be using wilwood also all around, 6 up front and 4 in rear.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/25/24 10:34 p.m.

In reply to RSB373 :

Yes, I'll look through my pictures and send what I have or take some pics when I can

RSB373
RSB373 New Reader
2/26/24 10:30 a.m.

Thanks!  Also, what gearing did you go with in your 6 speed?  I have 3.70 in my rear and wanted to mimic the current ZL1 configuration which isn't an option but can be configured.  2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .74 and .50,  wanted the close ratios and then cruising at low rpms.  Curious what you went with, thanks again, Bob

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/26/24 9:28 p.m.

In reply to RSB373 :

4.11 gear with 2.66, 1.78, 1.30. 1.00. .80. .63 gearset. I chose these to minimize shifting on an autocross course (2nd gear is good for 73 mph) and low rpm at highway cruising speed (2100 @ 62 mph). Your ratios seem even better for highway driving

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/2/24 12:10 a.m.

I went for my weekly inspection of the car and the guy is definitely giving me my money's worth. The first gen Camaro has a chrome strip around the windshield and since I am not using the strip, there is a big gap between the A pillar and the fender. I welded in a filler panel and made the gaps nice but my bodywork guy took it to next level. The top image is the way I did it and the bottom is the improved version

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/6/24 8:18 p.m.

My bodywork guy continues to make the car more worthy of the show circuit. He pulled the tailpipes so he could finish the cutouts in the valance and make them pretty.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
3/6/24 8:49 p.m.

This bodywork guy is doing unbelievable work. Hope he doesn't bankrupt you. 

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/6/24 9:42 p.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

This bodywork guy is doing unbelievable work. Hope he doesn't bankrupt you. 

He's charging me $80 Canadian per hour and so far I've given him $5500, I think it's halfway to being finished. Obviously this is more than I expected to be spent on bodywork/paint because I thought I would do all the hard work myself. I shot a video about this but it's not ready for release yet but after many, many hours of me doing my best on bodywork, I had to admit that I just don't have the 10,000 hours of experience necessary to get the bodywork to the level that the car deserves, so I handed it off to someone who did. The guy says my metal work was excellent (the wide body work and welding in of panels,floors,dash,etc) and my panel gaps were spot on but I just needed some help with the hammer and dolly and English wheel part. Once it's primed and assembled, I will get some more video and complete the video I have already started.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/7/24 8:53 p.m.

Painter sent me pics of the car in primer and guidecoat today, I'll go look at it tomorrow

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
3/9/24 8:02 p.m.

How many prime block seasons are you guys planning? 67 hours of mud work really is not  bad at all. Your metal work was pretty good to go that quick.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/10/24 10:31 a.m.

That amount of work for ~11k is a screaming deal.  I was thrilled to be into a respray with almost no body work for 2k.  

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/10/24 4:29 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

How many prime block seasons are you guys planning? 67 hours of mud work really is not  bad at all. Your metal work was pretty good to go that quick.

I don't know what you mean but I'm guessing you're asking about what my bodyman is doing about sanding? If I remember correctly, it was sanded with 80 grit, primed and will be block sanded with 120 grit, primed again and sanded with 240 then primed again and sanded with 320 then painted with single stage paint. I am definitely getting a good deal. I work in a restoration shop and know how much some of those owners have spent on paint and my car is costing a lot less.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/13/24 11:22 p.m.

It's so close to being painted!! See full video Click the link

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/21/24 7:42 a.m.

Pete the Painter has perfected the body on the Camaro and paint is getting sprayed on, here's a sneak peak 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/21/24 8:56 a.m.

Ooooh almost ready!!!

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/21/24 9:06 a.m.

The wide-body mods you did turned out fantastic!

Probably 95% of the people who see this car will never notice it being wider than normal.

Excellent work, sir!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/21/24 9:42 a.m.

SCHWING!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VYbQNevPtrJiW6u7omi6uCjAFqcr0qqd1t7cCYsRdeQN7FS6jhnc17W2TAuxiWW4