stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
11/20/23 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I thought it was a Cup car part, thats where the 9000rpm comment came from (final gear 1:1, engines turning 9k). Chevy truck, probably not rated quite as high, but should still do the trick.

Come to think about it the cup cars ran steel shafts up until the current generation... but still large diameter.

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
11/20/23 12:36 p.m.

I shortened a 4" Ford Ranger Aluminum Shaft for use in my Fox Body

The yokes on either end, are not only welded in, but it's a very tight press fit.

Ideally you can find someone to shorten and balance it, but my driveshaft guy could only balance it so my buddy and I shortened it, and then had another buddy weld it up, and then have it balanced.

If you end up having to do some legwork on shortening it yourself, IM me and I'll walk you thru the process I did.  More tedious than difficult

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/20/23 1:14 p.m.

So is there a reason not to use the aluminum shaft? I have a steel shaft I can use. The cup car shaft I bought is too short unfortunately. So any which way we look at it I'm having to have drive shaft work done by a professional, and my thought was to have the aluminum one done to save weight. Would love to get some more feedback before I spend any money

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
11/20/23 1:54 p.m.

Maybe there's another junkyard aluminum one that will fit?

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
11/20/23 1:57 p.m.

2001  ish V6 2wd automatic rangers with the extended cabs are pretty long.  I think we cut upwards of 2 feet out for a Fox Mustang

4" OD, .083 wall aluminum,   1330 yokes

Dusterbd13-michael
11/20/23 2:29 p.m.

46.5 u to u is what I need. Odd size for sure.

The nascar shaft i have is 45, everything else is feet too long.

Dusterbd13-michael
11/21/23 9:17 a.m.

impressive feat of the week goes to race truck ron. From Wisconsin he found me the correct NASCAR drive shaft in the correct length 32 miles from home at 1/3 of the cost of having one of my drive shafts shortened. That's pretty freaking awesome to be done in less than 18 hours. I pick it up next Wednesday when the guy gets back from vacation.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/21/23 11:13 a.m.

Awesome!!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
11/21/23 11:36 p.m.

I've just looked at Nascar parts on ebay late at night a few too many times to know the answer to every strange automotive build is laying in a random warehouse in North Carolina gathering dust

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
11/22/23 8:59 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

I've just looked at Nascar parts on ebay late at night a few too many times to know the answer to every strange automotive build is laying in a random warehouse in North Carolina gathering dust

Sometimes the folks that are hoarding the parts are also hiding in the warehouse collecting dust

Dusterbd13-michael
11/22/23 12:30 p.m.

Ordered axles for the floater today.  Finally starting to get traction

Dusterbd13-michael
12/21/23 11:06 a.m.

The madness Snap-on AI from the other thread generated me a NASCAR Plymouth Duster image that I really like some of the style points of. Figured I'd share with you

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/21/23 11:19 a.m.

Love it!

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick Reader
12/21/23 10:08 p.m.

That's just deeply weird the more you look at it.. the tools from some alien world, the script on the car...  you should do it like that!

Dusterbd13-michael
12/30/23 1:19 p.m.

im actually working on it!!

Dusterbd13-michael
12/30/23 3:29 p.m.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
12/30/23 4:19 p.m.

Now you know where the rear bumper halo needs to go.

By the way I am not building the cage in the AI generated image above. Look at the center node with like 8 tubes coming together.

Also, alien script stickers for even more horse-pressure.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/30/23 6:16 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

i made a start, but im not terribly happy with it yet.  Needs more time to percolate. 

Also:

Dusterbd13-michael
12/31/23 6:08 p.m.

spent all day on the dash. Dont like it, quit and cleaned up.

Not even sure what or why i dont like it, or how to fix it. 

I did start making templates for finishing quarter planel closeouts, and resivoir mounts. But those are percolating more.

Tomorrow i try to reunite the 49 ford cab and chassis for the firdt time in a decade in preparation to sell.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
12/31/23 9:16 p.m.

For dash layout, try some simple images printed out and tape in place while you are in the car in a driving position. Move them around until you like it. A piece of cardboard for the dash face will get you a simple face to work with.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/31/23 9:56 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Not even layout. Its the shape of the whole structure itself. Up at the windshield is slightly domed due to the shape of the car. but then it gets wavy and floppy and then a square break bend to the face off the dash thats a remnant of the original nascar. 

Dunno. Its just.... wrong.

I think tomorrow im blocking the hole with cardboard and gauge pictures taped on, then letting it percolate while i work on other stuff. Mayby the general scruffy and hammerd is whats throwing it. Or the sea of clecos. Or the different colors. Or.....

Dusterbd13-michael
1/1/24 6:38 p.m.

i spent a few hours making the rear window supports and mounting the cab to the 49 today. And stared at the dash every time I walked by.

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
1/1/24 7:29 p.m.

Does it even need a dash? Most of the new late models don't put one in. The gauges go in a gauge pod and that's it, just bars and a firewall. 20 years ago they had full dashes, then half's and next thing they were just gone, extra weight and work. 

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/2/24 8:11 a.m.

Nice progress on all fronts.  That truck is cool. As for a dashboard, how about something like this:

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Then just cover up the existing dashboard.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/2/24 11:36 a.m.

Congrats on getting a feature in this month's Pro-Touring email newsletter!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
05Ff1OPpEIMHMWUVVEQDHnQSSyKOdVqmKbmBHDh90wawbxlr4H165Sjy5YxXdP47