Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/12/23 4:22 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Rebalancing all the wheels will take a lot more time than grinding all the caliper ribs down, though.

who said anything about rebalancing? i'm going to remove these weights and apply the same amount about 1.5" inboard of current location. Bubble balancer wouldn't know the difference. wink

Moving the weight closer to the center will greatly change the balance, though.

If you are doing a static balance on that kind of equipment, you may not notice it. Neither one is going to be perfect, and if it's going to be imperfect without a way to quantify that imperfectness, who's to say which one is better or worse?

I would still want to grind those ribs down on general principles, to future proof against use of other wheels smiley

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick Reader
8/12/23 4:46 p.m.

Edit: bilge fan is pretty loud. One per side is gonna be louder still. Might have to ponder on a quieter solution for 2026.

Hoovair?

I think you're gonna get tired of that pretty quickly if you street drive it.  Autocross, maybe OK.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
8/12/23 4:57 p.m.

Edit: bilge fan is pretty loud. One per side is gonna be louder still. Might have to ponder on a quieter solution for 2026.

Forgive me if you already mentioned and/or dismissed this idea, but would a pair of heater blower motors do the trick? Squirrel cage fans move a fair amount of air even against a restriction and are far quieter than those bilge fans.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/12/23 6:22 p.m.

What about used nascar brake fans?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/12/23 6:44 p.m.
Kendall Frederick said:

Hoovair?

That name sucks

8/12/23 6:46 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Forgive me if you already mentioned and/or dismissed this idea, but would a pair of heater blower motors do the trick? Squirrel cage fans move a fair amount of air even against a restriction and are far quieter than those bilge fans.

Yeah, considered then forgot, ordered bilge fans. Might not be able to hear them when engine is running. Will monitor the situation.

8/12/23 6:47 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Much like birthin' babies, I don't know nothin bout no nascar brake fans.

8/12/23 6:49 p.m.
ExcessKuma said:

Don't mind me just strolling by to make sure the corvair is in one piece. I see my Vinyl job has held up

Your vinyl installation is outstanding and will be kept for as long as possible*.

*I have a new idea for 2024 but might not get to execute it til 2025.

8/12/23 7:05 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I would still want to grind those ribs down on general principles, to future proof against use of other wheels smiley

The brake is C5 front and the wheel is C5 front. I put the weights in the wrong place. I have already test fit the only possible near term alternate wheels, no issues. And as a brake guy at the OE level, I can assure you there's no extra material just hanging around on an aluminum casting. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
8/12/23 7:09 p.m.

Put the bilge fans further back and make them suck?

8/12/23 10:21 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Put the bilge fans further back and make them suck?

I'm afraid the temperature of the air they'd be sucking would cook them in short order. V1 will mount them to the front of the engine crossmember. It'll probably be fine.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/13/23 7:36 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195919554750?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rb66jz5yT2S&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=N3Kq44JHRkW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

A lot like a bilge fan, but made for high heat.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
8/13/23 11:04 a.m.
papamilad said:

Some late comp content

Quoted for awesome. That's a badass pic of Michael.

8/13/23 12:32 p.m.

badass Michael is redundant 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
8/13/23 7:47 p.m.
maschinenbau said:
papamilad said:

Some late comp content

Quoted for awesome. That's a badass pic of Michael.

I'm just laughing and taking pics of the safety gear.

8/13/23 10:22 p.m.

that's where I left off tonight. I'll get the fans mounted tomorrow or the next day. Past me was smart enough to keep a couple spare fused circuits in the stripped-down C4 harness:

I'm thinking of tapping into the output 12V from the fuel pump relay as the switching 12V for a bilge fan relay. Seems clean to me, and would run the fans whenever the fuel pump is running. Any advice against?

Opti
Opti SuperDork
8/14/23 1:56 p.m.

Route them to a Y and use only one bilge fan? Colin Chapman and all that

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
8/14/23 2:07 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The brake fans used by NASCAR teams USED TO BE bilge fans. Nearly every team has moved to more efficient, programmable hardware now. The programmable part means they are set with delayed start, ramp up times, and other stuff. They are almost all brushless now. There was an engineer from another manufacturer (four letters, starts with F) that nearly lost a finger to a brake fan when he checked for flow and it sucked his finger tip into the spinng blades...

Opti
Opti SuperDork
8/14/23 4:10 p.m.
8/14/23 10:37 p.m.

Didn't have a lot of time tonight, only knocked out a couple tasks:

and here's what it looks like in place:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/14/23 11:01 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The brake is C5 front and the wheel is C5 front. I put the weights in the wrong place. I have already test fit the only possible near term alternate wheels, no issues. And as a brake guy at the OE level, I can assure you there's no extra material just hanging around on an aluminum casting. 

Are OE castings in brake calipers really that good?  I've seen a lot of core shift and a lot more casting issues in a lot of OE stuff, but never really disassembled any safety items like brakes for a closer look.

I wanna do a tour of some OE casting facilities. 

8/14/23 11:30 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

In aluminum, yes. In cast iron, pretty much also yes. Material costs money.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/15/23 4:49 p.m.

Just because somebody else wanted it there doesn't mean I want it there smiley

They couldn't flex any worse than the aluminum calipers on the front of late N bodies.  That creaking lets you know they are working!

8/16/23 3:31 p.m.

Took a long lunch today to do some shopping:

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
8/16/23 7:09 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Is that a full set or four 17s?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CvTSlbhdJUWXSJi7QNMAJuOAQmOzsj1Bx45ehLJFOaTHZU8vMKo9SpiGISGUN3U9