AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/24 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

i don't know the specific rotation directions of the Porsche transaxles that you're talking about, but as long as you're driving the drive faces of the ring and pinion (not driving the coast faces), and everything is properly lubricated, you're probably OK.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
4/2/24 12:14 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

The better question for me to ask is what is the best budget-minded option for such a swap? I know Kellmark used to sell mid-engine swap kits for the Corvair but I don't think they are still around. I don't need 5+ gears, but I would like at least 4 gears in a manual transmission setup.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/2/24 12:44 p.m.

Google Charlie Friend Corvair and you'll get to a description of Charlie's open road race V8 Corvair with a 930 transaxle and also to the V8Registry site about V8 Corvairs.

4/2/24 12:58 p.m.
Wicked93gs said:

The better question for me to ask is what is the best budget-minded option for such a swap? I know Kellmark used to sell mid-engine swap kits for the Corvair but I don't think they are still around. I don't need 5+ gears, but I would like at least 4 gears in a manual transmission setup.

you're not going to find a cheaper answer than the Audi 01X that i'm using in MonZora:  it's a Getrag piece from 2005-2008 Audi A4 FWD, code GVD.  Gearing isn't perfect for a V8 car -- first is a granny gear 3.66:1, second is pretty close to a close-ratio 1st at 2.05:1.  the saving grace is the 3.75:1 ring and pinion.

car-part.com says they're available from crack-pipe $1300 to several examples at $500 or less, including a few under $300.  I paid $250 for mine about 3 years ago from a JY in Detroit.

In other parts of the world, the 01X was used with other engines (US was 2.0T 4cyl only), so there are other gearing combinations available.

NOTE:  there was a typo in some info on the internet that a lot of people use as reference, stating the code for this transmission was GVT.  That is 100% incorrect, but it still gets referenced all the time.  even on car-part.com there are listings that say "GVD GVT" or "GVT".  Those are wrong.  If it's from a FWD 2005-2008 A4 in the US, it's a GVD.  I have a pic of the GVD stamping on mine, but i can't find the pic ATM.

preach
preach UltraDork
4/2/24 4:34 p.m.

How much time and how much white board left?

4/2/24 4:36 p.m.
preach said:

How much time and how much white board left?

two evenings and one morning to go

preach
preach UltraDork
4/2/24 4:52 p.m.

Looking good.

Pos motivation:

You got this Patrick  you rock \../

Neg motivation:

If you don't have this Patrick you berkeleying suck .l..

Not sure what works best for you so I did both.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/2/24 7:12 p.m.

Mucho mental support coming from my place in Colorado!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/2/24 7:17 p.m.

Im looking at where to eat lunch on Sunday....

4/2/24 8:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Im looking at where to eat lunch on Sunday....

I made you a reservation at Dee's.

JT
JT New Reader
4/2/24 9:10 p.m.

Known worldwide for them Nutz

4/2/24 11:31 p.m.

4/3/24 12:35 p.m.

final* budget per 2024 rules: $1,962.18

* as final as it can be at this point

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/3/24 1:58 p.m.

Really excited to hear how you do this year with the car.  Fingers heavily crossed.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/3/24 3:19 p.m.

Safe travels, lots of caffeine, and all the speed to you and John tomorrow buddy!

Opti
Opti UltraDork
4/3/24 3:48 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Wicked93gs said:

you're not going to find a cheaper answer than the Audi 01X that i'm using in MonZora: it's a Getrag piece from 2005-2008 Audi A4 FWD, code GVD. Gearing isn't perfect for a V8 car -- first is a granny gear 3.66:1, second is pretty close to a close-ratio 1st at 2.05:1. the saving grace is the 3.75:1 ring and pinion.

Thats a steep 1st. 4L60e is 3.06 IIRC and those 60' real well in a mid power 3600 lb car, then they drop to like a 1.6.

4/3/24 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

2840# with me in it

62% rear

she should fairly scoot

4/3/24 4:50 p.m.

3PM: trans mount off car and marked for mod:

4:45PM: three trims later, clearance to 25mm bar has been achieved. Now to mod the frame brackets. One bolt hole has to move, and they're too tall.

4/3/24 5:08 p.m.

5:03PM looks like 7/8" off bracket height will be dialed.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist HalfDork
4/3/24 5:35 p.m.

"If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done." - Every racecar builder ever

4/3/24 6:41 p.m.

6:40PM about an hour and a half ago I decided it would be faster to cut bushing spacers from an old hockey puck, using a manual jig saw, vs cutting and welding the brackets. May have been wrong, but bottom line is MonZora now has a 25mm rear bar where last year there was none.

time to go get a cheap set of end links to butcher. 

4/3/24 7:56 p.m.

7:45PM with a belly full of pork tenderloin and grilled veggies, I returned to the garage and had a vision of welding tabs to the ends of the 25mm bar (it's a C4 front bar) to make it use the stock C5 rear bar drop links. Pix to follow.

4/3/24 8:05 p.m.

8:04PM bar off car and old end link bushings punched out. Now to put bar back on car and begin the fabricobbles.

4/3/24 10:10 p.m.

8:30PM: I didn't have any M12 flat washers, but I had a chunk of the material i sleeved the C5 rear bar with, and I had a chunk of the C5 rear bar. So, bar inside sleeve with a little stick out for weld, and into the bandsaw they go:

then I cleaned up the holes in the bar with a big step bit. Nice thing there is the next step makes a nice chamfer, again for weld:

10PM: all sparked together and just waiting for it to cool so I can install it.

EDIT 10:19PM I'm not mad at this at all.

And let's go to the whiteboard, shall we?

And with that, I'm calling it. Time to shower and go to bed. Loading begins 8AM-ish!!!

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
4/4/24 1:39 a.m.

Go, AC, go!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CBtNjFtqYRo4WvDOzXIMWlZp20kXBcLiVTt7su66hAFMlEZlkAzFJdqkJepesoAi