wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
4/7/24 11:35 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No, the main webs overhang the bores by a fair amount.

What is neat is, really old 3 main engines like Flathead Fords were engineered with big long blocks so you COULD assemble and disassemble from underneath.  From watching a old movie taken at a Ford plant, the bottoms of the bores had tapers so the assembly line worker could just jam the piston/rings/rod assembly in with no ring compressor.

Thanks for the info.  I assume you are saying that the bore is too small at the crank end.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
4/8/24 1:05 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No, more that the block has structure between the cylinders that stop the piston from being removed through that path

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/8/24 1:05 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No, more that the block has structure between the cylinders that stop the piston from being removed through that path

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/8/24 1:45 a.m.

Angry, it's still a totally awesome car, and I don't use that term very often.  Take a break, but don't give up, we really want to see you, and MonZora, have a solid Challenge whenever.  We're still behind you!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/24 11:09 a.m.

Thanks y'all, I appreciate the encouraging words. I definitely want to take another run at the overall, just not sure when I'll be able to do so.

4/8/24 11:59 a.m.
Opti said:

Someone please video this thing making a drag pass.

sad face

preach
preach UltraDork
4/8/24 4:50 p.m.
Jim Pettengill said:

Angry, it's still a totally awesome car, and I don't use that term very often.  Take a break, but don't give up, we really want to see you, and MonZora, have a solid Challenge whenever.  We're still behind you!

I'd like to see MonZora built into a street car and get all dolled up. I love it.

Opti
Opti UltraDork
4/8/24 5:42 p.m.

Are we sure its uncle rodney and not something dumb like a loose rocker arm?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/8/24 6:17 p.m.

Loose rocker would cause a misfire, no?  And it wouldn't be load dependent.

4/8/24 7:43 p.m.
Opti said:

Are we sure its uncle rodney and not something dumb like a loose rocker arm?

We are sure the crank is stuck.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/8/24 7:58 p.m.

Yeah, that football has been properly monkey berkeleyed.

4/8/24 10:13 p.m.

Y'all know I bought the donor 94 Corvette from pimpm3 and drove it home, more than 1000 miles, from Jacksonville FL to Canton MI, with no issues. That was December 2018. So you can see why I didn't do anything with the bottom end before Challenging it.

Connecting the dots over the last several months: the engine literally stopping while the starter is cranking it, the "that really sounds like rod knock, I'll change the oil and see if it goes away," the sloooow cranking even with fresh oil and new starter and fresh battery, the broken starter nose, it all adds up to "this engine has been hurt for a long time."

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/9/24 7:41 a.m.

Sorry about the luck on this one.  After exploding a few engines in my younger years I'm now in the camp of quieter exhaust so I can hear the bad before it gets worse.  My current car is on it's third set of mufflers looking for the right amount of loud.  In an engine that sees 6800-7000 rpm on track I need to hear if something gets loose.  

You are probably correct about the engine being a bit tired to start with, also add some baffles.  My E30 M3 went low on oil pressure one day after a 270 degree exit ramp, I immediately shut it down, crossed my fingers and restarted it.  After adding baffles it went a few more years before needing fresh bearings.

At any point did your oil pressure go up?  Had that on an old small block once, the spun bearing blocked a hole, then seized.

4/9/24 7:50 a.m.
akylekoz said:

At any point did your oil pressure go up? 

I don't know, oil pressure isn't in the data stream and I don't have a gauge. 😳

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/9/24 8:13 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

and I don't have a gauge. 😳

Dude...

davefla
davefla New Reader
4/9/24 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Dude, c'mon. Nothing is so annoying as a keen grasp of the obvious.

Angry: thanks for sharing this for all these years. In the most busy of times, it's the one build I've followed. Wishing you the best of luck, whatever direction you take next.

4/9/24 10:15 a.m.

In reply to davefla :

thanks man, i appreciate the kind words. i have a vision for bringing monzora back again, but i'm betting it will be 2026. I just don't see getting it done before winter hits here in MI this year, and there's no "spring training" available up here before an April race date.

4/9/24 10:17 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

and much like B Rabbit steals Papa Doc's thunder for the last battle of Eight Mile, I'm gonna make a preemptive strike by saying "2026? oh, you mean 2030!"

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/9/24 10:18 a.m.

Optimist

AxeHealey
AxeHealey SuperDork
4/9/24 10:38 a.m.

E36 M3 luck man but it was awesome to finally meet you in person and see the glory that is Monzora.

\m/

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
4/9/24 10:39 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Optimist

An optimist sees the glass as half full... an ahole realizes it's the bearing material in the oil filter. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/9/24 11:10 a.m.

This came up in my YouTube feed so I was thinking about you.   Let me know if I need to translate any South Carolina for you.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/9/24 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Fairly sure that's an LS based LT1, at least based on the lead-in image.  Haven't watched the vid

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
4/9/24 11:24 a.m.

I think I missed something....   it went from rod knock to no knock (because no turn)? 
oh no!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/9/24 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yeah it is.  Doesn't mean I didn't think about AC.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oylVb1BjHrAThdDQkLTYUXeo7W2P9wKVFQexFTCETqb7whoWcPVdiiYkbedwmW30