2 3 4
MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/11/20 8:18 p.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

I think your doing a great job with this car. I'm almost certain that you are having way more fun than I have had with my M5. I wish I could let go a little more and have fun with the car, but I've always put the E39 M5 on a pedestal. Keep up the good work and the good times!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
5/11/20 9:09 p.m.

Thanks for the encouragement and yes I am having fun! Plus the car feels better with everything I do to it.

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
5/12/20 8:46 a.m.

I love this car and thread!! 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
5/13/20 11:17 a.m.

Took the 5 out for a morning rip and snapped a few pics. Sunroof gone!

MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/13/20 11:27 a.m.

Looks great! Did you do the paint work yourself or did you send it out to a pro? Either way it really looks like it came out nice.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
5/13/20 11:53 a.m.

Thanks!

Yeah, I had a pro do it. I broke out my harbor freight gun to spray some primer and I did such a shoddy job I decided not to do the paint. Plus, there is the cost of supplies, fumes to the neighbors, ect. 

spandak
spandak HalfDork
5/13/20 11:57 a.m.

Hi neighbor! 
That thing looks mean

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
5/13/20 12:03 p.m.

Thanks manyes

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
6/5/20 2:50 p.m.

I call this one - Me now and also Me at 17  

(minus the Moroso stickers and lakewood traction bars) 

Had to put in a windshield, broke the old one when welding the sunroof. I am always taking steps backwards when trying to fix stuff. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/5/20 3:45 p.m.

Looks good 

was at Ojai valley sign and outdoor book store last week 

as much as the restaurants there were packed, you would think Covid never hit Ojai 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
6/5/20 3:53 p.m.

Nice, did you bring a car or motorcycle here? Some good driving roads. 

Yes, Covid has not really hit here. Most people are being careful but no real cases. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/5/20 4:22 p.m.
OjaiM5 said:

Nice, did you bring a car or motorcycle here? Some good driving roads. 

Yes, Covid has not really hit here. Most people are being careful but no real cases. 

When I was there last week I had my Elise with me. Few months ago, I was on my 998. Yeah as I was in the park in my mask, people all stared at me as I was from a different planet.

Dentists on Harleys and all the Jeep BroHos were in full attendance. There were 2 Singer Porsches as well and a Jonathan Ward FJ

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
8/21/20 4:20 p.m.

I hope this questionable choice doesn't come back to bite me in the arse. I installed my powerwheels battery today (Odyssey pc680). Car starts great so far.  The size and weight difference is amazing and comical. weight loss of 60lbs. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/21/20 4:43 p.m.

Batteries like that work great but don't have the capacity to crank for long. If your car starts easily, you're in good shape. If you let it sit with some dark current and/or have a starting problem, you may draw it down too far to get the car started. I'd probably run the 925 for the high compression V8, just in case.

One really nice thing about them is that they'll hold a charge almost forever if you disconnect them. So if you're not driving the car regularly, put in a kill switch and you'll always have battery.

The stock M5 battery is a beast. I'm surprised it's only 60 lbs.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/21/20 4:45 p.m.

Also, reading back - Axis Power is still around? And what did you do with the nav/audio stuff you pulled? I may be able to find a home ;)

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
8/21/20 6:43 p.m.

I think Axis power is still around. last I saw they were doing really unique stuff like carbon musical instruments. I like how they do one-off stuff for people. 

I gave all the audio equipment away on the M5 board. Trying to buy friends over there because of the dislike of me changing the sacred  M5smiley

The suggestion of disconnecting the battery is a good one. I will keep the elusive 10mm socket in the trunk. 

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
8/23/20 8:13 a.m.

I've been using a super popular multi-branded quad/motorcycle battery (I think Deka is the manufacturer, but it sells under different names in like every auto parts store for around a hundred bucks) in an LS-swapped car for years.  It usually sits for a couple of weeks between drives, and while there is a battery disconnect, the PCM is always powered directly.  These things work great, even if they only last two years (happens when doing lots of engine work/starting).  The weight reduction is ridiculous.  Nice M5, by the way!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/23/20 11:56 a.m.

My comments were not about small batteries but the Odyssey batteries and those that use similar chemistry. I have a PC680 in my CRX and a few other smaller cars. The LS Miata runs a PC925 and can sit for months and months between starts with a kill switch. The camper has two of the bigger ones -11-something. They last for years and years if you disconnect them for storage. Even if you flatline them, they come back. 

But if you're in a hard start situation that requires a lot of cranking, you do need that reserve.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
1/1/21 8:52 p.m.

Picked this up over the holiday as a family car and I am pretty sure it would smoke the M5. It is a 535xi with the infamous n54 with downpipes, charge pipe, intake, JB4 software and M5 brakes. I can put 4 gallons of e85 in it and the tune will adjust accordingly. It is a true Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde wagon. It is so tame until the turbos kick in yo! My only gripe is the transmission and I guess there is a tune to make it more responsive. It is really damn fun for a family truckster.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/1/21 9:27 p.m.

The AWD virtually guarantees that the E61 N54 will dust the E39M5. It would probably be close stock for stock, but the goodies you mention make it a lock.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
1/1/21 9:43 p.m.
OjaiM5 said:

Picked this up over the holiday as a family car and I am pretty sure it would smoke the M5. It is a 535xi with the infamous n54 with downpipes, charge pipe, intake, JB4 software and M5 brakes. I can put 4 gallons of e85 in it and the tune will adjust accordingly. It is a true Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde wagon. It is so tame until the turbos kick in yo! My only gripe is the transmission and I guess there is a tune to make it more responsive. It is really damn fun for a family truckster.

Beautiful

didnt Know these are faster than your m5! 

wow 

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
1/2/21 8:01 a.m.

You sir, have impeccable taste in cars.

Thank you for this thread.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/2/21 8:03 a.m.

I looked into those a few years ago, did a lot of research on them.  I hope you don't have the experience that most did but that's a highly unreliable car.  All the dme's are in the rear hatch floor, which apparently fills up with water regularly, then all the N54 issues with turbo's, hpfp's, etc.

I came to the decision that without a warranty, one sadly wasn't for me, which is too bad considering it's exactly what I like, a good sized awd, turbo wagon.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
1/2/21 8:42 a.m.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yes Doc I figure it will not be a totally reliable car. Thankfully I always expect the worst with cars and am willing to deal with their bs. 

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NsIB0kJXKDIpRgvLLUtwhRrelOucJCT8SJYtdRr1xqJF1hZNwhCaoJOYaIJhIGAz