4 5 6 7
cheese
cheese New Reader
2/27/24 3:10 p.m.

catching up on this as I research on whether a CD is a good buy for me— can you swap the monoblocs for the 18z which is top-load for 350mm disc? It seems like overall you've had good experiences with the car, and most of your dealer service is under warranty. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
2/27/24 3:43 p.m.

In reply to cheese :

I'm not sure about the brake calipers.  I've never looked into it.  All the service has been dealer done, since it's been under warranty.  Soon it'll go to my Indy for the things I don't do myself.  It's been a reliable car for us, so much so that I just bought the VW equivalent, a Touareg TDI for myself last week

Parker with too many Projects
Parker with too many Projects Dork
2/27/24 4:17 p.m.

In reply to cheese :

You can swap to 18Z calipers, and also the 360mm rotors (Q7 parts). If you want to keep the same 330mm rotors, use the 17Z caliper from earlier Touaregs.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
2/28/24 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Parker with too many Projects :

Won't the Q7 rotors have the wrong bolt pattern?  Aren't they 5x112 vs 5x130?

In reply to docwyte :

Oh, I was unaware that there was a 5x112 Q7!  Looks like it switched to 5x112 in 2015-present, so the earlier 4L and 4L facelift years should fit the Touareg no problem. I've got a set in my garage waiting to go in so this was a mild panic for a second haha.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
3/10/24 10:12 a.m.

The 18z calipers are pretty cheap, I might do this swap the next time my Touareg needs front brakes.  Just to get the larger brake discs...

Anyways, on the Cayenne front, it's recently been tossing rear brake light failure messages, especially when it's cold out.  A little searching pointed at the battery as the likely suspect, which I can believe given that it's 9 years old.  Of course the battery isn't someplace easy to get to, like under the hood, or in the hatch.  Nope, it's mounted underneath the drivers seat.  Sigh.  So I pulled the drivers seat, pulled back the carpet, removed the battery box lid, pulled out what felt like a 70lb battery and went and got a new one.

Then reinstalled it all, then went to my friends house because his code reader will register the battery to the car, and mine won't.  Happy to say that the car definitely cranks over faster, so I think that's job done.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
3/10/24 3:27 p.m.

Up to 2015 the Q7 was 5x130. I ran a set on my manual Cayenne. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
3/10/24 5:47 p.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

There's a snow wheel/tire set locally off a '14 Q7 I'm going to look at in a week or so.  I'm going to measure the wheel bolt pattern just to be sure, but it sounds like they should bolt right up.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
3/10/24 6:13 p.m.

That sounds perfect. I had 18" a Porsche set with 265/65 and the Audi 19" with 255/55 for summer. Fun to mix it up. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
3/11/24 9:52 a.m.

This car runs 20's for 3 seasons and 19's for winters.  The Touareg has 20's for 3 seasons and hopefully I can buy these 18's for winters.

Parker with too many Projects
Parker with too many Projects Dork
3/11/24 10:24 a.m.

While we're on the subject of wheels and tires, would you know anyone in the area looking for a set of 20" x 8.5 Split-7 wheels ? Like this but silver...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
4/20/24 4:56 p.m.

Swapped the winter wheels/tires over today, ironically it's snowing out right now.  Ground isn't frozen though, so it won't stick and it's going to be 60 something tomorrow.  Checked out the brakes while the wheels were off, front pads are really thin.

My wife must ride the brake pedal while driving, because I put new pads and rotors on 2 years and probably 30-40k miles.  Thankfully I bought the rotors/pads from FCP Euro, so I'll warranty them.  Can't do it until the 911 is off the lift though, probably a month before I get the rear shocks back from MCS.

Also need to do an oil change on it, I've got 2 more quarts of M1 ESP 5w30, so ordered another 6 from Amazon.  Next oil change I'll order from FCP Euro, since I've got two cars that use exactly the same stuff now...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
4/22/24 9:37 a.m.

Ordered the brakes from FCP Euro yesterday.  Not that anyone's noticed, but inflation has hit car parts too, when I bought the same brake kit ~2 years ago it was 25% cheaper than it is now.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
4/26/24 3:39 p.m.

Put my friend stock rear shocks in the 996 yesterday afternoon so I could get that car off the lift this morning and the Cayenne on.  Then I replaced the front pads/rotors.  Drivers side caliper retaining bolts didn't want to thread.  I didn't have a thread chaser or tap that large, so luckily with the caliper off I was able to thread the bolt into the knuckle and use it to chase the threads.  Assebly after that was easy.  Old parts went into the boxes the new stuff arrived in, printed and filled out the form for FCP Euro and dropped them off at UPS for warranty return.

Then I did an oil change on the cayenne and bedded in the brakes. Brakes feel great!  Next up is front/rear diff oil change, transfer case oil change and transmission fluid/filter.  Then this will be all caught up.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
5/3/24 4:15 p.m.

A few nights ago my wife came in and said her tire was flat and people on the way home were honking at her and pointing.  Why she didn't pull over and call me I'll never know, other than she's the most mechanically oblivious person I know.  This is what I walked out to see.

Holy shiznit!  After I got done reading her the riot act, I jacked it up so I could put the snow wheel/tire on.  Then moved all the cars around so I could get this one on the lift and put the rest of the snow wheels/tires on.  Today I took that wheel to Discount Tire and thankfully it's not bent or damaged.  Ordered another set of tires that'll go on next Friday...

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
5/3/24 4:26 p.m.

Amazing the wheel is not damaged! 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
5/3/24 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Yeah, no kidding!  I was very fearful of it being taco'ed, as it's a Turbo S techo rear wheel, so 10" wide and only available on the Turbo S's.  In other words, if it'd been damaged, there was no replacing it...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
5/17/24 4:12 p.m.

New set of Conti DWS06+ installed about ten days ago.  FCP Euro gives store credit for returns now vs cash, which sorta stinks but also makes more business sense for them.  Since I had a large credit from returning the front brakes I used it to buy front/rear/transfer case/transmission fluid+filter kits for the cayenne, plus an oil change kit and oil dipstick for the touareg.  Today I did the front/rear/transfer case fluid changes on the cayenne.

Super easy, all the plugs came out no sweat, each part took about 1 quart to fill. 

Thought my scan tool wouldn't read the transmission temp, so I waited on that.  Grabbed a scan tool from a friend today that will, then figured I should plug mine in to see if it would too.  Yeah, it does.  Oops.  Well, I'll do the transmission fluid tomorrow morning.  At that point this thing will be more than caught up on maintenance...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
5/18/24 12:44 p.m.

Went to my friends house in the Cayenne to see if his scan tool would read the trans temp.  Turns out he has several scan tools, including a newer version of my icarsoft por tool.  All of his worked, so he loaned me one, but when I got home I wondered if my old icarsoft would read the trans temp too.  So I plugged it in and once I found where it was, it does, sweet!  So I thought changing the trans fluid was on for this morning.  Haha....

FCP Euro had told me the CTA tool that threads into the transmission fill would work with my Motive Power Fill, so I bought it.  This morning I went out to make sure everything worked, before I dumped the transmission fluid.  I'm learning, slowly, to check things like this before incapicatating a car.  Anyways, the CTA tool doesn't seat into the Motive, it's too wide.  Here's the Motive tool

Here's the CTA tool

The plastic ferrule that goes over the Motive tool also won't fit over the CTA tool, so no way to seal up the CTA tool.  The CTA tool's OD is 10mm, Motive's is 9.50.  Yes, I could file the CTA tool down some, but I'm not keen on spraying pressurized transmission oil all over my garage if it doesn't seal correctly.  I also discovered that the plastic ferrule for the Motive tool is all chewed up, so I need a new one.  My local Ace didn't have anything like it, so I checked out the Motive site.  They do sell parts and interestingly, also sell a fitting that'll screw into the Motive that has a barb on the end of it.  So I might be able to use that and buy some tubing to connect from it to the CTA tool.  I'll call them Monday and see.

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
5/18/24 12:56 p.m.

A few questions:

1. Do you need to recalibrate the transfer on the Cayenne after a fluid change?

2. Do you have a link to that CTA tool?

3. Can you get a picture showing the whole tool?

Thanks! Great work!

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
5/18/24 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Nope.  But you need to check the transmission fluid level between 35-45 degrees Celcius.  So you need a scan tool to monitor that, then with the engine running and transmission in park, you take out the lower drain plug and let it drain off the excess.

Here's the link....  https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/atf-filling-adapter-cta-manufacturing-7414

That pic shows the entire CTA tool, it's maybe 3-4" long, with threads on one end that thread into the transmission, then the other end is supposed to go into the tool.  CTA does sell a tool just like the Motive Power Fill, I just didn't want to buy it since I've already got the Motive tool.

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
5/18/24 1:13 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Thanks for the CTA link!

I was referring to the transfer case and not the transmission on the first question. On BMWs that use ATC transfer cases you need to recalibrate the clutches once the fluid is swapped. I know some Cayennes use the ATC transfer as well, but not sure your's does. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
5/18/24 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Ah, nope, ours doesn't have anything special for the transfer case or the diffs.  Just drain and fill all of them and you're good to go.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
6/30/24 11:22 a.m.

Finally got off my butt and did the transmission fluid change last weekend.  Figured out how to adapt the CTA tool to my Motive power bleeder, got a male to barb fitting, some surgical tubing and two hose clamps

Pop the drain plug out and let it drain

Remove the inner plastic drain plug and let it drain even more.  Now take the eleven 10mm bolts that hold the pan on out, leave two in so you can crack the pan and drain more

Remove the pan and try not to get fluid everywhere.  Drain the rest of the pan.  Remove the four 10mm bolts holding the trans filter on, drain even more fluid.  This is an extremely messy job!

Put the new transmission filter on

Clean up the pan and magnets, put on the new gasket

Put the pan back on with the eleven 10mm bolts, the three bolts near the front of the car are a real PITA to get on, need a swivel to have a chance.  Annoyingly Porsche has holes in the cross member to give you access, but they didn't make them large enough to give you a straight shot

Now to fill the transmission.  Dump the fluid in the power fill, screw the adapter into the pan, pressurize the Power fill, open up the valve and let it do it's thing.

Here's the crappy part.  You need to fill the transmission, but the fluid temp needs to be lower than 30C.  You're supposed to run through the gears until the fluid is between 35-45C, then drain the excess fluid out.  Well, I filled it and the transmission fluid temp was still well over 45C.  Even with a fan on the transmission for hours, it still didn't get low enough.  So I left it on the lift over night, next day it was still 32C.  Screw it!  Went ahead and started it up, ran it through the gears, started to drain the excess fluid when it hit 38C.  Had to turn it off when it hit 44C and put a fan on it to cool it down again.  Argh!  An hour later, went back out and did it all over again, this time I was able to drain out the excess before it hit 44C.

Lessons learned...  I needed more cardboard on my garage floor.  I should've done this when the SUV was stone cold.  My wife had driven it and I'd let it sit for an hour, that wasn't nearly long enough.  Only put in 8 bottles of transmission fluid, not 9.  I had way too much fluid in it.

Glad this is done, this was the last maintenance item to do to it.  It's coming up on 120k miles, so I'll probably have to do the serpentine belt again soon....

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/6/24 9:53 a.m.

I've been yapping at my wife for YEARS that she needs to tell me when this car throws some sort of message at her on the dash.  Since it's a modern diesel it uses DEF.  If it runs out of DEF, it literally stops moving.  Right there, like in the middle of the freeway.  Car gives you a count down starting at 1000 miles, so you've got plenty of warning.

My daughter mentioned to me last night that my wife's car had some sort of "AdBlue" warning?  Sigh.  Went out to the car and the countdown was at 150 miles!  Argh!  The way my wife drives, that's really only a few days.  Sigh.  Trip to the autoparts store and I bought 5 gallons.  I had maybe 1 gallon at home already.  Put that in, put in another full 2.5 gallon box and then some of the last box.  Oil change is up in 1000 miles so I'll top off the DEF tank then. 

Also saw that the right rear tire was a little low, at least the tpms said so, so I put some air in it.  It's almost out of warranty, I need to put it on the lift and remove the belly pans and make sure there aren't any oil leaks...

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j2ae6iwJ3KtsOxNsvhbYCbvJghwGNXzugXtwO9xeufqXu8dLkodX5iLPjWNGHUf7