4 5 6 7 8
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/26/20 6:17 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

From that pic I'd go more upright. It seems like you wouldn't be able to see the apex seated that low?

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/26/20 6:32 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

"Look ahead"

Also, when the whole vehicle is this low, the cones are much taller! 

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) SuperDork
7/26/20 9:08 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

That model doesn't look like an EG33 to me. Revision needed.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/26/20 9:21 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

A racing problem since the dawn of time...

"How much space do we need for the bag of meat that drives?"

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/26/20 10:00 a.m.

The model has his feet higher than his ass. I wouldn't like driving like that. 

7/26/20 10:07 a.m.
gumby (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

"Look ahead"

Also, when the whole vehicle is this low, the cones are much taller! 

I think it would be fine for road course speeds, but on slower corners in autox you might lose sight of the next gate(s)?

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/26/20 12:35 p.m.

I've spent some time in a open wheel formula type cars.  The obstructed visibility is not as big of a deal in practice as it seems.  The MG actually has a similar issue. I can't see much of anything <30' in front of the fenders once I'm strapped in.  For track and autox you are looking far enough ahead that it doesn't matter.   It would be a issue if it was a street car with parking lots and stuff but for intended applications it should be fine. 

Look at this (Videogame) screen shot of the 919 view out

And compare to the projected view out of the LMP360. 

It's similar.  As a test I also moved the eye up 4" (Any higher and the windshield runs out of height). 

I don't think visibility is radically better.   The MG is somewhere in between these two.  For both your eye is above the fenders so forward visibility is possible.  

The seating position I definitely understand can be a preference thing but again from experience it is quite comfortable.   I'm not sure I will go that direction or not again I'm going to mock it up once I get the build table done and body cut down.  

I'm modeling it in a way that is fully committed to the idea of being a interpretation of a modern LMP1 car but built in the 60s.  Look at this audi cutaway and you'll see a lot of inspiration.

Sorry for all the digital stuff.  Technology is wonderful and you can explore things that would require hours of mockup in the garage.  Also the Upload images will be overused by me.  I'm enjoying the discussions.  Peoples comments make me think about things and challenge my decisions.  I might not change my direction but it challenges me to consider things more fully and that's good.  

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/26/20 2:27 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

This may be a wild idea, but what if you had clear windows in the fenders so you could see through them? laugh

7/26/20 5:55 p.m.

I'm serious about buying that SVX and holding the EG33 for you.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/26/20 7:24 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

I'm doing some modeling.  I'm not sure I can fit 6" longer engine but I will see.  What do you think a engineless (And maybe front uprightless) SVX would be worth?  

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/26/20 8:26 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Scrap metal. That's all. 

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/27/20 1:35 a.m.

maschinenbau I appreciate the offer to enable but I'm going to pass on a EG33 after some investigation for 2 reasons.  

1. The extra 6" basically would go into wheelbase and require extending the bodywork by a similar amount.  

2. Weight: The EG33 is apparantly ~400lbs, the EJ22 is 270.  That's an extra 10% of the vehicles projected weight.  

Once I start physical mockups I may find 6" and "futureproof" the car to accept a larger engine.   I'm for sure going to measure the WRX and ensure that the 2.0 DOHC turbo would fit.

Tonights progress was building the frame of the build table.  I tried to do some filming so there may be video of this coming soon.  

I mean not a lot ot say it's a bunch of 2x4's and 2x6's.  

The notched sections are for the wheels, and the 4 legged area is for the engine/trans.

2 more hours, + an additional 3 sourcing parts brings the physical work total to 10.   I'm not sure why I'm tracking.  It's kinda neat to read Robbie's time updates to get some context for how long this takes other people so I'm keeping track of physical work.  The digital stuff I'm not going to track as it doesn't really contribute and it's not required to build the car.

As to windows in the fenders..  I'm getting a McLaren Senna vibe..  that's gonna require a think..

7/27/20 8:08 a.m.

No worries about the EG. It would probably wreck your budget too. As you can tell, I'm very excited about this build! 

Should this be in the Builds and Project Cars section of the forum?

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/27/20 9:11 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

As you can tell, I'm very excited about this build! 

I am excited also.  Very excited. 

I guess it should be in the build forum.  How do I make that happen?  I need an adult.

7/27/20 11:19 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Post a link over in the "report canoes" thread stating you want it moved to the builds page & one of the mods will move it.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/27/20 12:04 p.m.

I too am excited for this build and am having fun tracking the hours on mine. I agree there are lots of hours I spend thinking or searching online for parts or whatnot that is not included (and very hard to track). 

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/28/20 12:49 a.m.

And like that, It's a build table.  I just threw the Jegs seats in roughly the correct spot and happened to grab the decklid to give some sense of bodywork/scale.  The tires are about 2.5" per side narrow right now.  I made the little shelves to narrow I think but I will see.  If i need to I can extend them.  

Next step will be to put the engine on the build table, put the uprights/driveshafts in, then take the body down from the ceiling and prepare to get medieval on it.   I was proud of myself for putting the table in the correct direction to get the engine on with a hoist.  If i put the engine toward the tool box I can't get a hoist in. 

It makes the noise side to side right now, but I have about a .2 degree slope toward the front.  I didn't feel like turning all the adjusters right now so I will do it later.  

Filming continued but I learned a valuable lesson about using my SD card adapter.  Don't.  It corrupted the 1st half of the build table build.  I tried to recover with various "free" software and was unsuccessful so I had a sad and gave up.  I may put something together on the build table or I may start with the body lowering/destruction.  

2.5 hours tonight finishing up the build table, total 12.5.  

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/28/20 1:50 a.m.

This is going to be fun to watch!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
7/28/20 3:56 a.m.
nocones said:
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

As you can tell, I'm very excited about this build! 

I am excited also.  Very excited. 

I guess it should be in the build forum.  How do I make that happen?  I need an adult.

I dunno if I'm an adult, and I can see this in either subforum, so I'll abide the OP's discretion.  Just let me know.

re: seat position...

one benefit to it is, is its similarity to early year car seats, where the body position is inclined.  That inclination should make any unplanned large magnitude longitudinal accelerations much more survivable.

ymmv?

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/28/20 9:04 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

For me it only shows in the $2000 forum.  It seems like it's the only Build thread in that forum so if you could move it to Build threads that would be great.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
7/28/20 9:23 a.m.
nocones said:

For me it only shows in the $2000 forum.  It seems like it's the only Build thread in that forum so if you could move it to Build threads that would be great.

I meant more "I reckon the topic of the thread could be placed in either forum", not "my mod powers indicate it is located in both" cheeky

fixxored as requested

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/28/20 1:31 p.m.

Thank you!

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
7/28/20 2:27 p.m.

I just realized that you made this build bench to allow for actual ride height of the car built in.  Love it.....

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
7/28/20 2:47 p.m.

This looks fun and ambitious; it also looks kind of like a Bug fell in the middle of a Consulier, which is really cool!

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/29/20 10:38 a.m.
rustomatic said:

This looks fun and ambitious; it also looks kind of like a Bug fell in the middle of a Consulier, which is really cool!

LOL it does kinda look like that.  

No progress yesterday but today Ceiling Subaru comes down.  

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6WvX026TScl1jK2dqp3NPnjrsVOqWot73LpEyJrFAvHo7DgnVkDOpVreOVRmZPBu