2 3 4 5
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/24/23 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Will you be going the route of ugly daily driver or parts car?  You have 3 of these Prius (two in the same color.)  

Glad everyone is okay!  

Was this a kid accident or a dad accident?  Fault?

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/24/23 10:13 p.m.

I'm glad to hear that everyone's OK, but that stinks about the accident. Hope it can be fixed quickly and cheaply.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/25/23 9:03 a.m.

Glad everyone is OK.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/25/23 4:21 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Will you be going the route of ugly daily driver or parts car?  You have 3 of these Prius (two in the same color.)  

Glad everyone is okay!  

Was this a kid accident or a dad accident?  Fault?

This has been Indy-kid#1's daily since she got her license, so it was her who got in the accident.  I'm not certain about the legal aspects of discussing it in full here, so I'll just leave it by saying she was hit in the right rear of the car.  No air bags in the Prius deployed, but the other car's bags went off.

I had to pay $275 cash to have the car towed to my house, because the cops already had it up on a wrecker (towing company).  It could probably still have been limped home (about 4 miles from our house).  I haven't tried to drive it yet, so maybe not.

As far as repairs?  Not certain.  The rear hatch still opens ok, the rear door doesn't.  The rear "beam axle" is bent causing the rear tire to have massive negative caster.  I think we'll be able to repaired it and get it functional, even if just barely.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/25/23 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I guess by fault I meant that I was hoping someone else's insurance company would be giving you a check for $3,000 for the car you have $2,000 into.  My greater hope was they gave you a check and you could still drive the car.  It might be a 3 door car or an ugly daily driver.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/25/23 7:53 p.m.

The right rear is leaning in and rubbing on the inner structure.  Yes, it does currently drive. I tested it down to the end of the block and back.

Also, she must have hit a curb on her way into the grass, left front tire has a bulge and will need to be replaced

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/29/23 4:25 p.m.

In our family, if you crash it, you gotta help fix it.  Sooooo, Indy-kid1 and I hit up the U-pull-it yard today.

And here's the haul.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/29/23 8:19 p.m.

Well done!

Did you get the rear door also?  

Is your daughter studying at the Stampie School of Work Foortwear?  Welding in flip flops...junkyarding in Crocks.  

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/29/23 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

What happened to the beard?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/29/23 9:07 p.m.

Thats the way it ought to be.  Sweat equity and time with dad.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/29/23 10:03 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Well done!

Did you get the rear door also?  

Is your daughter studying at the Stampie School of Work Foortwear?  Welding in flip flops...junkyarding in Crocks.  

Doors are super easy to grab.  I'm gonna hold off a bit and see if we can score one in the correct color.

Crocks.   Yeah.  About that, I scoffed at her when we were walking on our way in.  I wasn't sure if they were going to let her through, but they did.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/29/23 10:07 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

What happened to the beard?

I had to stand up for my brother's kid and become her godfather.  I decided it would be good to clean up a bit.

In reply to Dusterb13:

Yeah it was her first visit to a junkyard, so there's that.  She's a good kid & I enjoy spending time with her. yes

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/29/23 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Stampie's number one rule of junkyards is they care more about your tool bag than your footwear.   She get's bonus points from me.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/6/23 6:55 p.m.

Plugged away at it all last night and a good bit of today....

Here you can see the difference and the bend on the old one.

Pretty good comparison of Cleveland rust vs. Indy rust

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/6/23 7:01 p.m.

I pounded out the wheel area and got the door to open. And after bleeding the brakes, went for a successful test drive.

Some of the paint got scraped down to bare metal, so I hit it with some paint to slow down the rust.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/7/23 10:08 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I was expecting a great demonstration of Nohome's tack let it dull then tack again on that fender.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/8/23 8:08 a.m.

I like the Cleveland/Indy comparison.

Just curious, how much did the JY charge for that whole rear axle?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/8/23 2:09 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I was expecting a great demonstration of Nohome's tack let it dull then tack again on that fender.  

I'm slow.  It took all weekend (well Friday night & most of Saturday) to get this far along.  Which makes the car transportation again and not just drive-way eye candy.  At a later date we'll work on the aesthetics, which will include a new door at the same time.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/8/23 2:12 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I like the Cleveland/Indy comparison.

Just curious, how much did the JY charge for that whole rear axle?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/8/23 9:03 p.m.

Not a bad price!  

Since you mention that you'll be looking for a "same color" door...  

I'll add this for reference:

Yours is Magnetic Gray.  It was really the only gray offered in Gen2 Prius so there should be no confusion if a seller calls it gray.  Just be sure his gray is not silver but that is a pretty easy distinction.  The only other "gray" is the green-gray, officially Tideland Peal but it is clearly a green.    

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/8/23 9:19 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge of all things Prius!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/2/24 9:40 p.m.

Quick update, after Lots of trouble free miles, it gave the dreaded red triangle.

Here's what the codes said:

Invertor coolant pump needs replacement.....

So, I contacted John Welsh and he sent me down the correct path.

Thanks John yes yes

Also got a bit of help tonight:

All good now.  While I had it in the garage I treated it to some refrigerant because the AC was getting a tad weak.  Ice cold now ❄️ 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/2/24 10:22 p.m.

Wow, fast work.  It was just yesterday morning that you told me it was broken.  In the grand scheme of things, its an easy job but I'm a procrastinator.  But, at least I'm not a procrastinator right away.  You know, eventually I get around to the procrastinating.    

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/2/24 10:53 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Amazon next day shipping wink

Also, she needs this car to get to work.

wyndscreen
wyndscreen New Reader
7/3/24 11:27 a.m.

So insurance paid out for the wreck a year ago?

your junk yard lets you bring in powered cutting tools?!

We can't do that around here

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z3yLiDpliNaJ0J5VSoKwf9YX86E7Aw0niD6ZdDOcPRekSVHNCvX4I42GE8BvScyP