2 3 4
ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
6/20/24 10:02 a.m.

I did half of a rallycross last weekend and ended up with a single good run.  I couldn't back it up and my co-driver raw timed me by about 2 tenths over the session.  The site was pretty wet due to all the rain in south Florida.  I think Fort Pierce got 6 to 7 inches in the second half of the week.  The course designers did a good job working around the standing water but I still had to plan around not steering through the muddy parts.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
6/20/24 4:01 p.m.

I had a feeling it was going to be pretty wet out there, but not as bad as I expected.  The mud puddles are less fun when you're wearing the mud after you go through it!  lol

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
7/15/24 3:34 p.m.

I finally got a real skid plate on the Z3 and took it to St Lucie.

The ruts were pretty serious due to narrow gates and minimal course changes between heats.  I lost a front and rear bumper.  I was expecting the front bumper to crack eventually but the rear was a surprise.

A photographer got some videos of the event and it looks like my outside rear is sitting on the bumpstops on acceleration.  I like the weight transfer but I am not sure the correct change to increase the ride height at full throttle.  I can't really raise the static height because the rear suspension has non-adjustable toe/camber.  Springs are about 50% stiffer than stock.  Is it time for extra bump stops?

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
8/16/24 4:09 p.m.

I raised up the suspension, repaired the bumpers, and drove to Huntsville for the Sediv regional event last weekend.  My truck is gigantic when you don't have a full family worth of stuff in it.  The drive up was uneventuful except for the usual Atlanta traffic jams.

The competition went well.  I set the fastest time for the class on each of the three courses.  I still need to work on staying off the cones.  I hit 5 over the weekend including 3 in one run.  Only 1 was due to a real driving error.  The rest were due to optimism about the edges of the car.

I am vaguely concerned about the missing center valance that I destroyed at the last local event.  I need to decide if extending the skid plate into where it used to be is enough to avoid the rules lawyers.  I have the pieces that fell off and tape if it comes down to it.

Here are my quick runs.  Looking back, they were a little choppy.  There was much more front grip than I was used to.  I kept pushing harder in corner entry and it kept sticking.  Managing the rear in this car is always work though. 

The best part was some central Florida people finally came out to a regional event.  I caught a few of them on course.

Overall, we ended with three 1st place trophies, a 2nd place, and one broken master cylinder.  The one negative of a totally sweet right hand drive 22B replica is you can't get parts in Alabama at 6pm on a Saturday.  Hopefully our winning ways continue through the increased competition at nationals in a few months.

I have now been doing this long enough to have a collection of Leon trophies.  They might be a primary motivator to continue.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
8/16/24 8:50 p.m.

Sweet collection!

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
8/20/24 10:37 a.m.

I ran a local rallycross this weekend at The FIRM.  It was dry and hot.  Grip levels were among the lowest I have seen on the skid pad.  It feels like all the medium sized aggregate is gone and we are just running on fluff on top of hardpack.  I think I am going to switch to street/snow tires only for future events there.

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
9/19/24 11:57 a.m.

I just got back from the muddiest rallycross I have ever done at St Lucie.  There was exactly the right amount of water for it to pool and flow back into the ruts.  The course held together to get everyone 5 runs.  I wasn't expecting that.  These conditions usually mean we have to cancel the event.  Maybe we have finally hit the critical mass of construction sand.

Driving a RWD car on course was rough.  The obvious line was full of water most of the way around the course.  The mud outside the ruts was pretty soft.  I had the best tires and diff on the day and ran away with the class by about 10 seconds per lap.

I am putting the 3 series up for sale soon.  I was going to prep it for stage rally but I need to hold off for a few years.  The money is mostly there but the time commitment is tough with two kids.  Four days of transit for each rally is a lot for a vacation that only I am enjoying.  I have a few things to take out of the car like the steering wheel I have owned for 12 years and three cars.  Otherwise, I am selling it as it appears in this and previous videos.

Is anyone interested in a stripped out 318ti that has about 7 seasons of rallycross on it?

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
10/7/24 9:55 p.m.

We just had our last rallycross of the season.  I was back in the Z3 after repairing the coilover sleeves.  Ground control sent me the wrong sleeves for my Bilsteins and I wasn't savvy enough to figure it out.  On the first big compression on course, the sleeves became a stressed member of the suspension.

The new ones are the correct height for my shocks, the correct diameter for my shocks, and significantly thicker.  Looking back, I don't know what I was thinking.

We connected the east and west fields at the rallycross to run a long course.  The whole venue was pretty soggy after all the rain we have been getting.  I was happy to run first.  I don't often get the chance to practice the grass -> topsoil -> dirt change over a run group.

I bought new tires for the first time in two and a half years in preparation for rallycross nationals.  I forgot how much grip new tires have.  It was so nice to be able to turn in and have the car follow instructions.

With the new tires, I was putting about 15 seconds a run on the rest of the class running street/snow tires.  The big win is how awesome the car sounds at the top of the rev range.  The fast section into the finish lights felt great in the car.

After ripping the right side bumper mounts off the car a few events ago, I ripped the left side mounts off at the end of the first set of runs.  I probably could have taped it up and finished the day but I didn't want to spend a week sourcing a prepared legal coupe bumper for nationals.  That turned out to be a good idea with the hurricane in the gulf.  Now that the mount is gone, I can jb weld in some aluminum flat stock, drill holes in it and bolt the bumper on with metal instead of plastic.  Maybe I will remember to take a picture this time.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YXB2Y4MmY5eEmEaSP4Znc41LOS07u7LLMluI3x9S7VGS5HW9VcsQSZZXqixYk9ql