kellym
kellym New Reader
4/3/16 5:41 p.m.

Looking great.

Have you looked for replacement tips from TP tools? You might be able to find a ceramic tip that will fit there.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/3/16 5:41 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: If you're just using cheap alkyd oil paint from lowes or whatever it's not like you're out a lot of money if you change your mind later.

You are correct. There is a good chance this won't be the last time SanFord gets painted. It may, one day, get a better quality paint paint job. I'm not doing any body work at this point. This is strictly a cover it to stop the rust job and make it usable.

Future plans include replacing several bent panels, as well as some filler work, new rear bumpers, access doors for the propane tank and the future generator. So I don't want a perfect paint job now, just to cut it up later, but I also don't want to leave it ugly for the years it will take to finish all the projects that are in the back of my head.

Call this a compromise paint job. Get it usable, get it stabilized, get a easily repaired, easily touched up, and cheap paint on it for the interim. After I get everything done, we will look into a killer paint job.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/3/16 5:44 p.m.

In reply to kellym:

I just found some ceramic tips on Amazon that look promising and ordered a pack. The dimensions are very close and I have a lathe and mill that can make them closer if necessary. I need to get them in my hand to see.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/3/16 5:45 p.m.

You can buy catalyzed tractor paint for a fraction of what car paint cost. No idea what it is and you need the respirator to spray, but it does come out nice.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/3/16 5:58 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

My top coat will be Makic Truck, Tractor and Implement paint from Tractor Supply. I've used it before and it does a pretty good job for an enamel. Their hardener helps a lot. I used it when I restored my South Bend Lather. It also plays nice with the primer I used.

It also has the advantage of being available in spray bombs for touch ups after changing things.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/3/16 6:19 p.m.

Trying to picture you spray painting the sides...Loooonnnngggg walk one way holding the trigger and a Loooonnnnggg walk back! Maybe get one of the kids on a skateboard and two others pulling him back and forth at a steady pace.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/3/16 8:22 p.m.

Thoughts?

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/4/16 5:16 p.m.

I spend a little time playing with the spray bombs today.

The Wife likes the Gulf colors. Go figure.

MrChaos
MrChaos HalfDork
4/4/16 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

You need a lighter blue for the gulf livery. I think instead of ford blue you need New ford blue/NH Blue. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-tractor-truck-implement-spray-enamel-11-oz-new-ford-n-h-blue

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
4/4/16 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

The wife is a keeper.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/4/16 6:06 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Future plans include replacing several bent panels, as well as some filler work, new rear bumpers, access doors for the propane tank and the future generator. So I don't want a perfect paint job now, just to cut it up later, but I also don't want to leave it ugly for the years it will take to finish all the projects that are in the back of my head.

One thing to remember is white or other lighter paint colors will hide body damage better, dark colors will make them more obvious.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/4/16 8:50 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Thoughts?

I like it, but I'm a bit biased.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/4/16 8:58 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Thoughts?

Awesomeness!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/9/16 2:56 p.m.

I like the black lined up with the windows. Some light window tint would really help it match too. Light window tint on my Motovan windows is great actually. If tint wasn't so expensive I'd go darker with the rest of the windows.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/14/16 8:43 a.m.

Saw this and thought you might get a kick out of it:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2016/04/14/unrestored-1929-studebaker-house-car-shows-how-to-get-away-from-it-all-without-getting-away-from-it-all/?refer=news

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/14/16 9:05 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Saw this and thought you might get a kick out of it: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2016/04/14/unrestored-1929-studebaker-house-car-shows-how-to-get-away-from-it-all-without-getting-away-from-it-all/?refer=news

Cute

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
4/14/16 9:21 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Saw this and thought you might get a kick out of it: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2016/04/14/unrestored-1929-studebaker-house-car-shows-how-to-get-away-from-it-all-without-getting-away-from-it-all/?refer=news

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/14/16 7:28 p.m.

There is entirely too much cool in that thing. I do like the way they raised the center of the roof on that for headroom. I'll have to remember that for possible future use.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/19/16 7:28 p.m.

Due to laziness, life, fixing other peoples stuff and helping my dad change a power pole, not much has happened with SanFord. I did spend a hour or so on it this afternoon.

The vent for the back of the refrigerator was pretty beat up and covered in nasty old paint. It was also flimsy aluminum. It didn't even survive a week in the shop before it got crushed. Plan A was to order a 18X18 steel vent and screw it to the side of the bus. Plan A didn't really work. A 18x18 vent grill is actually almost 20" square and too big. Rather than ordering another one...

Cut, welded, notched for the rub rails, and painted.

Installed.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/19/16 7:30 p.m.

I have no idea how people can live without a welder in the house.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/19/16 7:32 p.m.

Oh, and bad news on the paint. After walking past this for a week or so, I can't stand either one of them. I'm thinking more vintage colors.

More along these lines.

Stay tuned for that, I've got a lot of primer to get laid down first.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/19/16 7:59 p.m.

The Gulf colors are a bit harsh. I would look At maybe an off-white/cream and a darker green or maroon. They were popular in the 50s on bigger vehicles to not stand out much and look classy. I can't seem to get pics to post

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/19/16 8:43 p.m.

I'm thinking a teal and white, or maybe something like this.

buzzboy
buzzboy New Reader
4/20/16 9:01 a.m.

That starts to looks pretty PE

And I love it

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
4/20/16 9:22 a.m.
buzzboy wrote: That starts to looks pretty PE And I love it

THIS. SO MUCH THIS>

Paint your a/c units to look like the turret...

PE sticker and all.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oGevrZylsBSM31AsMazRHxobRlfgSwRZ7AqOsh6yvfZn4ysgXxdP0W8wdAcK9OzR