Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
4/20/16 9:25 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote:
buzzboy wrote: That starts to looks pretty PE And I love it
THIS. SO MUCH THIS> Paint your a/c units to look like the turret... PE sticker and all.

I will pay for the planet express stocker if you do this.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Reader
4/20/16 9:31 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Oh, and bad news on the paint. After walking past this for a week or so, I can't stand either one of them. I'm thinking more vintage colors. More along these lines. Stay tuned for that, I've got a lot of primer to get laid down first.

That's beautiful. Looks perfectly vintage yet clean. I don't like the Planet Express scheme on a bus. Spaceship yes, bus no.

java230
java230 HalfDork
4/20/16 9:42 a.m.

Do you not get much rain? Id be worried about those grills letting all kinds of water in

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/20/16 4:23 p.m.

In reply to java230:

It had similar grills on it before in the PNW, the rain capital of the world. On final installation, they will be well sealed to the side of the bus, but I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it comes through the louvers. We shall see.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/20/16 4:30 p.m.

In other news, Sherman Williams has a acrylic paint that works very well on metal surfaces. It's available in a semi-gloss and paintable over any surface. It also has a vintage color line, since vintage is cool again.

I like the greens, my wife naturally likes the blues. Maybe I'll do the greens on one side and the blues on the other.

Still working on this. . . . . . . . I hate picking paint colors.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/20/16 4:49 p.m.

One more thing.

I pulled the tail lights yesterday. I had planned to clean them up and re-use them. That's not going to happen. The turn signals, in particular, are rusted out badly. The brake lights aren't much better, and the tail lights came off of a trailer.

That means replacing them.

Vintage lights are expensive. That's not happening.

In the realm of 7" lights, there isn't much out there other than bus lights.

There is a set of these on the way. Stop/tail.

Turn.

They should be here tomorrow.

java230
java230 HalfDork
4/20/16 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

OK good luck! Water seems to find any crack on mine. Its the driving in the rain it seems.

I like the upper two colors!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
4/20/16 7:33 p.m.

The right two colors with the red stripe just like the futurama ship paint. Then make a Toyman's Express logo with a spitfire instead of a rocket in the middle.

Chadeux
Chadeux New Reader
4/20/16 8:12 p.m.

I keep thinking it needs polished aluminum panels on the side, probably because it's your bus and I think I'm too far away to get conned into polishing them.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
4/20/16 8:38 p.m.

You could polish a strip then coat it with sharkseal, it lasts a season unless it gets rubbed off.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/22/16 11:50 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In other news, Sherman Williams has a acrylic paint that works very well on metal surfaces. It's available in a semi-gloss and paintable over any surface. It also has a vintage color line, since vintage is cool again. I like the greens, my wife naturally likes the blues. Maybe I'll do the greens on one side and the blues on the other. Still working on this. . . . . . . . I hate picking paint colors.

Of these four colors I like the light blue on top and the dark green on the bottom. I also agree that some polished accents would be killer.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
4/22/16 5:34 p.m.

The darker green with a light tan would look good also.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/22/16 6:06 p.m.

The winner is...

The green, and a slightly greener hue of the light blue. The decision is made, the paint is bought. The sun isn't out to take a good picture, but you get the idea.

The card on the left is the original light blue.

I've been thinking about the polished accents. My original plan was to paint the wheels body color, but they do make polished stainless wheel simulators for 22.5" wheels. I could also plan on polished SS or chrome mirrors.

I don't know of a economical way to put a polished stripe down the bus.

I also got the tail lights and turn signals installed. The small tail light below them will be going away and a license plate light will be installed.

I don't particularly like them, but they will do for now.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
4/22/16 6:20 p.m.

Straps of galvalume?

Or maybe just a 1 inch wide piece of flat polished aluminum strip between the colors?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/22/16 6:47 p.m.

I agree, the black arrow is too modern.

So the rub rail down the side, replace it with a polished strip? Too much work for too little effect?

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/22/16 7:03 p.m.

Polished anything is pretty pricey. I'll have to do some digging and thinking on that one.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/22/16 9:36 p.m.

I say paint the bus then look at the wheels. They may actually look good just white against the color you want to paint it, that's going to be as old school looking as the two tone you're about to give it.

I would go body color if anything over stainless covers. That's my personal preference, because every time I see those covers on trucks, they are never flush and always wobbling and dented.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/23/16 7:55 a.m.

Dont they have spray paint that looks like chrome? For either the wheels or the bit down the side.

As for the turn signal arrows, sand them off using smaller grit until you can buff it smooth.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/23/16 11:03 a.m.

A spring cold is kicking my butt today, so progress is slow. I had planned to blast all the paint off the other side, but that's not happening.

I did pull one of the old roof vents and replace it.

Old bent nasty.

Might leak if I left it like this.

New hotness.

Sealed up and ready to roll.

I also pulled all the clearance lights, cleaned up and primed where they were mounted. That's the last of the prep work for roof paint. Hopefully I'll feel better and can get it painted tomorrow.

Pretty sure it's nap time.

More to come.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
4/23/16 11:23 a.m.

Th wanderlodge came with a chrome strip down the middle to cover the steel overlap. You can see it on the Google Image below. I can put you on to a guy who will ship some used ones to you.

http://www.ryanwright.com/wanderlodge/forsale/1.jpg

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
4/23/16 5:43 p.m.

Well, I took these pictures just for you of a great looking rod at the Coker Tire Museum, but you've already bought paint. Too late I guess, but the kind of drab seafoam and light beige looked really cool and classy...

As for cheap polished, they make some chrome, polished aluminum, and brushed aluminum vinyl these days that is amazingly good looking. The stuff that will hold up pretty well isn't dirt cheap, but it's cheaper than real polished metal. I wouldn't go with a 2' wide panel, but some accent stripes a few inches wide might work out.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/23/16 8:56 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

Actually, with the colors he picked, that cream color would look great on those wheels.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
4/23/16 9:06 p.m.

That looks sweeeet.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/24/16 8:55 a.m.

The beige does look nice. That's about the color the interior roof will end up, and it would look pretty good on the wheels.

Decisions, decisions.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/24/16 11:09 a.m.

Coat #1

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0or9bbA2EGt5ec81kpGXL1xihAT8E02Fw1VEtTbANMJuV0gJcmelcfVcCN5D69vA