mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/15/17 9:15 p.m.

Really depends on what the flow restrictions are. The 390 in my wagon runs a two barrel and the carb is in no way the issue.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/16/17 6:00 a.m.

A 4 barrel would help the 0-55 times and the long hill climbs, but it would also probably put a pretty good dent in the fuel economy as well.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/16/17 6:11 a.m.

Fuel injection. The answer is fuel injection.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
1/16/17 6:19 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Really depends on what the flow restrictions are. The 390 in my wagon runs a two barrel and the carb is in no way the issue.

QFT - I had a 390/2bbl in my Ford XL, and was an absolute dog. There was a night & day difference between it, and the 351M/4bbl in our Country Squire wagon - that car would move for being such a land-barge.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/16/17 6:35 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Diesel fuel injection. The answer is diesel fuel injection.

FTFY

One day at least. I continuously keep an eye out for a cheap donor vehicle.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/17/17 4:21 p.m.

SanFord Lives!!!

This afternoon I got the breather mounted with a new air cleaner and decided to take it for a spin. So I packed in a couple of sons and we headed off to the gas station during rush hour traffic. That's the first time it's left the neighborhood since I drove it home almost a year ago.

Man, he drives like a dream now. Accelerates nice and smooth, no jerking or bucking. It actually idles properly as well. The carburetor rebuild was a 100% success.

And for a bonus, I got 3 thumbs ups, a bunch of waves, and a shout out, in the two miles we went.

No pictures though, I was too busy driving.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/17/17 4:47 p.m.

Speaking of rush hour traffic, did you ever go through the brakes?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
1/17/17 5:09 p.m.

Too busy for pictures, isn't that why you brought a couple of sons along? Glad to hear the rebuild was a success.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/17/17 5:18 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

I checked the fluid and topped it off. Other than that, I haven't touched them.

It has a fairly bizarre braking system. I'm almost scared to touch it.

It has two master cylinders. One actuated by the pedal, one actuated by a vacuum booster. The rear axle has 4 wheel cylinders, 2 on each side. The fronts I haven't studied yet, but they look fairly standard.

Lucky for me, the brakes are working pretty well. They seemed to be a little sluggish to engage this afternoon, but had no problem stopping the beast. I have a note to go through the vacuum system and make sure I don't have a leak or a stopped up line between the engine and the vacuum reservoir.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/17/17 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

Here you go, I did take exactly one shot. Nice, big, pretty, breather, sitting on a nasty old engine, in a nasty engine bay.

wae
wae Dork
1/17/17 6:07 p.m.

Huzzah! It lives! Gotta do something about those valve covers though!

What's your target for a first camping trip?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/17/17 6:57 p.m.

You put a brand new ball cap on a hobo.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/17/17 7:41 p.m.
wae wrote: What's your target for a first camping trip?

It's probably going to be the end of February realistically.

Things to do beforehand.

Front turn signals.

Wire and final install clearance lights.

Wire wheel the walls and ceiling in the rear room and paint.

Cut mattress to fit the curved corner in the rear.

Rebuild mattress cover for the cut mattress.

Rewire the rear axle shift motor to remove wire nuts and find or install a fused circuit for it.

Replace passenger side exhaust donut.

Change the oil.

Change rear end gear oil.

That's probably the bare minimum to be able to drive it somewhere and sleep in it.

Might be later than February.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/17/17 8:46 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to BrokenYugo: I checked the fluid and topped it off. Other than that, I haven't touched them. It has a fairly bizarre braking system. I'm almost scared to touch it. It has two master cylinders. One actuated by the pedal, one actuated by a vacuum booster. The rear axle has 4 wheel cylinders, 2 on each side. The fronts I haven't studied yet, but they look fairly standard. Lucky for me, the brakes are working pretty well. They seemed to be a little sluggish to engage this afternoon, but had no problem stopping the beast. I have a note to go through the vacuum system and make sure I don't have a leak or a stopped up line between the engine and the vacuum reservoir.

I guess there's at least some redundancy there and not the worst case single circuit setup. That would still freak me out though, hydraulic brake parts with more than 20 years or so on them aren't trustworthy in my head.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/19/17 7:48 p.m.

No work done today, but I did finally find a set of front turn signals.

The originals were rusted beyond salvation and held together with electrical tape. Reusing them was out. I wanted to stay with the pedestal lights, but didn't want something modern looking.

I've spend a few hours looking for something decent over the last couple of months, and finally found them today. These are the right size and should look appropriate.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/19/17 8:50 p.m.

I dig those, probably would look better black, but chrome works

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
1/21/17 9:01 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Petrolburner: Here you go, I did take exactly one shot. Nice, big, pretty, breather, sitting on a nasty old engine, in a nasty engine bay.

Those wires are giving me the heeby jeebies!

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/21/17 9:20 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

You should have tried driving it 1000 miles after looking at those wires. I wasn't sure what was going to short first, them or my nerves.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
1/21/17 9:59 p.m.

I like the FJ40 lights. They include running lights and side markers.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
1/23/17 1:35 p.m.

Those turn signals are rad.

Where did you find them? I've been looking for something similar for an old trailer I'm restoring.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/23/17 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Crackers:

http://elitetruckaccessories.com/

They have a bunch of really cool lighting. They also have the above lights in red.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/23/17 2:28 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Petrolburner: Here you go, I did take exactly one shot. Nice, big, pretty, breather, sitting on a nasty old engine, in a nasty engine bay.
Those wires are giving me the heeby jeebies!

If it was a vintage guitar amp, you'd be praising how the point-to-point design gives better tone and they just don't build them like they used to

Crackers
Crackers Reader
1/23/17 4:20 p.m.

Sweet! Thank you.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/25/17 4:56 p.m.

I got home early enough to get a little work done on SanFord before dark.

The turnsignals haven't showed up yet, so on to another of the 1000s of projects yet to be finished.

SanFord is getting high tech.

Can you see it?

That little black thing.

Yep, passenger and driver side cameras installed and wiring run inside and down the wall.

One more step closer to being drivable.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/26/17 1:53 a.m.

That's pretty Awesome. A lot of the new Class A motorhome a have them now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U2QHOzOYvyY3NaWjiZ3jVPqpEyflObPr3pfHvvN0t0yy44JkdkutwdvM0BTqBguJ