java230
java230 SuperDork
2/15/17 4:08 p.m.

Can you provide links?

Im using some small ones, but I am not sure they will be bright enough....

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/15/17 4:18 p.m.

In reply to java230:

Certainly.

6 watt LED lights. They also have 9, 12, 15, and 18 watt. The diameter and price increases as the wattage does. The 6 watt are 480 lm and I'll be running 6 of them.

12v to 24v Converter. These come in a couple of sizes as well. This one is 288 watts or 12 amps.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
2/16/17 7:16 a.m.

LOVE the rheostat idea. It'll pay for itself with potential night driving and passenger happiness. This is seriously awesome, and I want it in my life immediately.

java230
java230 SuperDork
2/16/17 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Thanks!! The ones I have are only 3W, 120lm each. I do have 10 of them though.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/20/17 10:19 a.m.

Ahem https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/5987202972.html

Want to drive another one back from Wisconsin?

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/20/17 10:50 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

That would be a good buy. Not for me though. I'm pretty sure one is enough.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
2/20/17 11:08 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Hell, I'd buy that just for those overhead interior cabinets.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/20/17 11:32 a.m.

I know this ship has sailed, but here's another low-profile option. I've put one of these strings in my garage, it puts out a lot of light. Runs off 12v, you could hide it in various places for diffuse lighting if you don't want so see it. Found out about this from the garage lighting thread.

Actually, for camping you could put it outside to act as a patio light.

LEDMO LED strips

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/20/17 12:34 p.m.
RossD wrote: Ahem https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/5987202972.html Want to drive another one back from Wisconsin?

Is it just me or is that speedometer optimistic at best:

I can't imagine what it would be like going 90mph in one of these.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/20/17 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Those are still a option for some indirect lighting. The overhead lights I picked are more to fill existing holes with something useful rather than trying to repair the holes.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/20/17 2:42 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

I am certain mine could attain 90mph...if you shoved it off a very high cliff.

60 mph is doable on flat ground, if you don't mind listening to a BB Ford turn 3-4K+ rpms. That is surprisingly unnerving after a couple of hours. I really want a overdrive transmission and/or a set of rear end gears.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
2/20/17 2:47 p.m.

I really want that other bus to take to MTB events all over the Southeast labeled up for my jersey company....but that ain't gonna happen.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/20/17 2:51 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

I'm gonna guess that it's a standard cluster used across the entire F series, 90 in a stock 56 F-100 is probably possible, though it sounds just as terrifying

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/22/17 7:59 p.m.

I've figured out placement for the first A/C unit.

The return air will be in the step well. Cold air will be about where the rectangle is drawn on the floor. This location has the advantage of the step well protecting the unit from trash thrown off the front tire.

It will require moving the fuel tank back about 15", but since the tank is just strap mounted, that won't be a problem. Except for the fact that I just filled it up.

More to come.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
2/22/17 8:08 p.m.

You now have me considering a 91 International ex church bus. Carry on good sir!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
2/22/17 8:17 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:

Your real world innovation is as astounding and entertaining on the bus as it was on the jet boat. Bravo, Toyman.

Off topic, do you keep bees?

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/22/17 8:21 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy:

I don't, but that is something I am interested in. Honey is the nectar of the gods. I'm keeping that hobby on the back shelf for now. My next move is going to take me well outside of town, I'll probably tackle bees then.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
2/22/17 8:33 p.m.

I could be wrong, but that blue pry bar looks just like one I have, and is fantastically useful. I was told it is a beekeeping tool. So, maybe you're one step ahead on all that sweet, sweet honey.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/22/17 8:50 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy:

They are sold as hive tools on the beekeeping sites. Most of theirs seem to be yellow.

I pick them up at the local hardware store. The are made by Dasco. They call it a trim pry bar. I have 4-5 of them and use them for everything. They are amazingly strong, and don't bend easily. They also make great gasket scrapers.

Edit: If you like bees, check out JPthebeeman on Youtube. Fascinating stuff.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
4/7/17 3:24 a.m.

Saw this on CL and thought of Sanford. If someone wanted to build a Sanford Jr.... If I lived in Dallas and wanted my own Sanford Link

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
4/7/17 4:26 a.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: Saw this on CL and thought of Sanford. If someone wanted to build a Sanford Jr.... If I lived in Dallas and wanted my own Sanford Link

Glorious Hound of Hades I would put a late model rattle can drivetrain under that as it sits, update the interior and dragbthe kids to every end of the world in that thing!

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/7/17 6:59 a.m.

That's pretty cool, but damn the high price. That's well over what I paid for SanFord and it doesn't have a engine or a title

I do love the 40s era front ends though.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
4/7/17 5:47 p.m.

been following from the beginning of the rescue, and just thank you for taking the time to share.

what is the ceiling height at the highest point? also, did you get the turn signals to blink? They were on solid in the preview vid.

and how many projects do you have going on at the moment? I see the Samurai (build thread?)

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/7/17 6:46 p.m.

In reply to onemanarmy:

Ceiling height is right at 6'. Unfortunately I'm 6'2". Since I'm not planning to throw a party, it's not a problem. When I'm camping, very little time is spent in the camper, I would rather be outside.

The turn signals are about 90% done, all they are lacking is the final wiring and the flasher. I'm trying to get all the wire under the dash and then spend a day hooking everything up. Other things keep getting in the way.

It also does me good to step away from a project for a week or two and come back with a fresh perspective. That the reason this thread has been quiet for a while. If I get to the point I'm stuck or unhappy with how things are progressing, I usually take a break from it.

Other current builds are mostly the Abomination. It's been dusted off and is headed to the next level. Less weight, more tire, more horsepower. I'm headed to Delaware in two weeks to pick up a fiberglass bonnet.

The Samurai build thread is here, but it's as far as I'm going to take it for now. Samurai.

The only other notable build thread was the Jet Boat.

There are others out there, but most of them are small or abandoned like the gas turbine.

I'm sure there will be more of them in the future. I'm easily bored and when that happens, I look for something new to build.

java230
java230 SuperDork
4/7/17 8:41 p.m.

FWIW the jet boat is what originally brought me to GRM!

Love your build threads Toyman01

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qKAK6nB9KyTrOrPNZFiiHFA7XLedoNt2T5nA2PDN9eQ7F1qDJPk1c2VwOPaiBnSB