Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
5/31/21 8:09 p.m.

This thread is getting me motivated to get my FE going. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/31/21 8:30 p.m.

Bellflower tips are side pipes for your trunk LOL

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
6/3/21 9:53 p.m.

Mercury to the rescue! Got a call from a buddy who was out of gas near my house, bopped down there in the Mercury and filled the tank. Had some trouble getting the bug started because it was slightly downhill and the mechanical pump wouldn't suck the fuel up. A little trickle of gas down the carb and it fired right off. Beautiful little car too, it was satisfying to get it running even if it was as simple as putting gas in it. 

keepin em on the road!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
6/21/21 10:21 a.m.

Had a fun weekend with my dad and the cars. Went to a really big car show here (back to the 50s) and had a great time. Unfortunately the cutoff for that show is 1964 so my 65 Mercury wasn't eligible but that's ok, the 64 Cutlass is. I drove my car back and forth to my dads a bunch and cruised around. I hit this fun odometer milestone on one of the runs back and forth 

Look at all of those 5's! 

On Sunday I took my wife, brother and father in law and father in laws girlfriend out to lunch in the big Merc. We fit 5 full-size adults comfortably in it!

All in all I think I put almost 150 miles on the car this weekend and it worked great. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
6/21/21 8:19 p.m.

I love the shape and color of this car so very much.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/23/21 7:55 a.m.

Glad your having fun! Hope to be joining you in boat car life soon! 

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
6/23/21 8:51 a.m.

Every time this thread pops up to the top I get the urge to buy '60s something as a daily driver.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/23/21 10:09 a.m.

I haven't checked in on this thread for a while - those Supreme wheels were a good choice.

I don't know Mark Moriarity but have followed his exploits on the HAMB, he does have an amazing collection of cars and memorabilia.  For those who aren't familiar, there was a discussion over there devoted to his collection with many photos: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mark-moriarity-ultimate-collector.1066221/

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
6/23/21 10:10 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Aye Aye Captain! I assume you'll be sharing what you acquire with the class. Good luck! 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
6/23/21 10:11 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Thanks! His collection is pretty intense. Definitely a glimpse into a very specific time & style. Also an incredibly nice guy. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
6/25/21 9:43 a.m.

Here's a very over saturated photo of the car after a bath last night. 

I also pumped the tires up to 34 psi from 28. I realized I never checked them after we mounted them. 28 felt a little too squishy, 34 seemed better on the drive in to work this morning.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
6/25/21 8:18 p.m.

Tire pressure made an improvement. Cruised around tonight and made a bunch of friends with the car. Also discovered it'll do 70 in 2nd. The ol 390 still makes some grunt.

I don't always feel like socializing but its sure fun the experiences or memories people share with the old cars. And the immediate friendship of those who know or have one of their own. Got a high five from the dude working at my favorite liquor store because he liked the car. We talked for like 20 minutes when I left and he showed me pictures of his Riviera. Really nice guy and it's cool to meet people and have this immediate common ground of these old vehicles. 

What a fun day! 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/2/21 7:38 a.m.

Not a lot to report here since my last post as far as the car is concerned. Personal life got really busy in July, but the basic end result is my wife and I bought a new house together and moved! The Mercury is in it's new (2 car!) garage safe and sound and was a pretty useful moving vehicle with that big trunk. Since we now have a 2 car garage and a 2 car wide driveway I have a little more convenient access to the old car and will likely drive it more. 

Speaking of driving it more, I did go to a fun car show with my dad yesterday. It was put on by a car club called the Spartans and it was real mellow, no trophies, no judging, as a matter of fact they gave YOU a dollar to bring your car in. It's a kinda small show and I think they don't advertise it much specifically to keep it mellow.

I'm having some weird issues with Imgur right now so I'll try to add pictures from my phone.   

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/2/21 7:43 a.m.

Here's the Merc one last time at the old house. 

The show was really fun, got a coupon for a burger and fries at the host bar, talked to some people I haven't seen in a while, etc. A nice break from moving. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
8/2/21 4:12 p.m.

What is the gray-blue car in the ultra foreground of the photo with the matt green 32 roadster pickup? 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/2/21 4:27 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

41 Ford coupe - it's a beautiful car. 

I should probably apologize as there were many more photo-worthy cars at the show, the problem is that I'd seen them many times before so I didn't think to snap a picture. The 41' is a good example, I've appreciated it for years but never grabbed a picture. 

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
8/2/21 5:23 p.m.

That Chrysler wagon is amazing. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/3/21 7:19 a.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

Isn't it? The late 50's early 60's Mopar stuff is incredible. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/9/21 10:04 p.m.

Something this car has been lacking for the last year is any kind of side view mirror. I've been casually perusing eBay for something and I think I found one I like for around $20. We'll see how it works out when it shows up, it fits the part in my mind at present. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/9/21 10:06 p.m.

Oh and I might add that I wasn't in a hurry to put one on it over the last year of ownership because it barely fit in my garage. Well, I have since moved and the Merc now has a much larger garage that won't be crowded by the addition of a side view mirror. 

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/9/21 10:16 p.m.

You just made me look through the past few pages of this thread. Can confirm you do not have side mirrors haha car is looking amazing! Glad to see you are still enjoying it!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/10/21 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Boredom :

Sure am! Drove it to work this morning. I stopped for some coffee and had a quick chat with an older gentleman who was admiring it as I came out. Unfortunately I was running a bit behind so I had to be kinda abrupt, but it was nice to share some quick words. 

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/10/21 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

That is the best and worst part of an old car. Everyone wants to talk, for anti-social me it is a nightmare! 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/15/21 3:42 p.m.

Hey I did a thing!

My eBay mirror showed up, it is awesome. It's old, it's kinda cruddy, and it has a super cool shape. It fits the car perfectly and it's functional. Good way to spend $20 for sure. Install was eyeball location and drill 2 holes for some sheet metal screws. 

Here's some closeups of the mirror in its new home. 

Smashing. Supposedly it's a CCC aftermarket mirror but I have no idea who that would be, so I'll just have to vaguely hunt for a match for the passenger side. 

Bonus points for practicality!

Boredom
Boredom New Reader
8/15/21 4:46 p.m.

Nice! We need a pic from a few feet back when you get a chance to see how it plays with those wild body lines!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9LJLmwdaIRCrBHjwVxNrFXegr887EH22sOukcOeSmBkvtJFdBz5KHyoXoLsWzhrZ