60 61 62
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/24/24 7:12 a.m.
Racingsnake said:
NOHOME said:

Did you look into the Volvo two speed fans that are popular with the hot rod crowd? 

What model Volvo do these come off?

The good news is that it comes on several models. Have a look at this link or google "Volvo hot rod fan swap".   https://www.240turbo.com/ElectricCoolingFans.html

The nice thing about this fan is that you can grap the relay package that controls the two speeds, making the install very easy vis-a-vis the wiring.

Some of the reading I have done suggest that the rock auto fans look the same but might not be as powerful as the OEM versions. 

It would seem that Ford used the same fan on the Taurus and a few other models. The ford options do not seem to include the relay pack to control the speeds, but it is just some relay wiring and well documented. https://www.240turbo.com/ElectricCoolingFans.html

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
7/24/24 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Did some digging, and the two speed fans apparently came from 240s and other similar models.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
7/28/24 11:46 p.m.

Taking a break from building a raised stone patio....

... and finished sealing the radiator to the rad mount (I had moved the rad back 1.25", but didn't really seal it well) to help cool better.

Also added a license place light, which apparently WAS a reality in 1961, and I don't need a reason for a cop to pull me over.

Adjusted the parking brake. 

That's about it

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
7/29/24 10:32 a.m.

Just because i'm curious, do you keep track of your fuel mileage and has it changed from when you first got the truck back on the road?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
7/29/24 11:37 a.m.

I just did one tank of low throttle driving just to see what I could eke out of it.  I don't check mileage at every tankful, no.

I've tried to add spark timing at cruise here and there, but it doesn't seem to like much added advance.

I followed that high mpg tank by upping the boost and tuning for that.

Lately I've only been using the truck to haul gravel.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
8/12/24 4:19 p.m.
SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
8/27/24 5:24 p.m.

Note to self: do it better next time.

Way back when I put the LSD in, I measured the backlash on the Ford 9" I was using (0.015", spec is 0.010-0.016"), and made sure to put it back the same.

Except at high speeds (> 110km/h on some highways) there was whining in the axle, especially under hard acceleration.

I finally took it out, expecting that setting the backlash at the loose end was the cluprit, though it did not make sense to me.

THIS time, however, instead of holding things by hand to check, I put a chain wrench around the pinion yoke, and butted it against the vice so it would.not.move.

0.009"

Wow.  That's too tight.  Now the speed/load noise makes sense to me.

We're now at a bang-on 0.013", and I need to be more precise from now on.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
9/2/24 7:43 p.m.

A while back my line-lock had blown an o-ring seal in the bottom of it.

I was able to source EPDM o-rings, which apparently are brake-fluid friendly.

Bled the brakes, and ready for testing.

First day of school up here (my day job) is tomorrow....

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/24 11:05 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

You are correct, EPDM is required for brake fluid

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
10/15/24 11:41 p.m.

OK kiddies, new game!

A vehicle appraiser did the once over on the '61 Apache today, in my anticipation of getting good insurance coverage for this.

How much do you all figure this is worth?

The whole build is here, you can see what I've done and how it was built.  It's not Loosecannon's level of awesome, but I'm pretty sure I spent far less than he did building mine.  Still.  I'ma curious.

Begin!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/16/24 6:01 a.m.

40k us

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/16/24 8:00 a.m.

With no prior experience in this area, I will guess $50k USD

golfduke
golfduke Dork
10/16/24 8:16 a.m.

I'm gonna go in the middle-ish-  $47500US.

Either way, I love this vehicle.  I showed my dad this thread a long while back, and he still asks me about it pretty much every time I see him.  He had a 61 Apache in green that was his first truck. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
10/16/24 7:58 p.m.

I will allegedly get the final statement Friday.

Other guesses?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG PowerDork
10/17/24 11:18 p.m.

Appraiser sent me some "comparable" examples he's using for numbers.

He also said "there is no other truck exactly like yours, I have tried to hit the high value points and similar condition."

Flattering.  And yeah, mine is a bit different than the run-of-the-mill Chevy truck.

Other guesses?

60 61 62

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gkRQMXKoLA8C1u8h795FyOy0ZkIQGUtR26uWk4NJaDG7tF3oDjWxrQeoKANVs4sN