Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
5/7/17 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

It looks amazeballs, dude.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/7/17 4:30 p.m.

Avoid the Harley Burn and cut the exaust back to the Lower rocker. Between now and October you Will catch so much all you can say HOW,why And OH Crap

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/7/17 4:47 p.m.

Amazing, especially from what I witnessed before work began.

Most importantly, please send all the world and all the best to Dallas from me!

See you guys in a Oct.

coexist
coexist New Reader
5/7/17 4:58 p.m.
Stampie wrote: Looking at it I think a flare like the rears would tie it all together. Could you pull a mold of the rears and make matching fiberglass flares for the front? You wouldn't need to cover the entire tire but just visually tie them in.

This is what my first thought was also. Perhaps you could section the rear and move the flare up, then find another dead Gremlin to scavenge the rear flares and install on the front.

But I don't mind the radius, and bonus to keep the stock paint.

Looks tuff

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/7/17 7:06 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Today I didn't hate the radius wheelwells as much.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
5/7/17 7:17 p.m.

That thing looks mean, like it wants to start a fight! I like it

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/7/17 7:24 p.m.

The cut arches kind of remind me of 70's NASCAR racers, like AMC's Matador, with a lot of tire hanging out each side.

Keep it up!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
5/8/17 8:46 a.m.

I love the car, but IMO it needs the flares

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/8/17 8:59 a.m.

It does. The question is whether or not it gets them pre or post challenge.

Guess it depends on how the budget works out.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
5/8/17 9:02 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: I love the car, but IMO it needs the flares

Agreed - looks mean as can be with the meat hanging out. But, flares would make it look polished and intentional, versus looking like a hurried brawler.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
5/8/17 9:09 a.m.

I agree with mazdeuce. It looks great, but eithEr the front needs flares, or the rear needs the fenders cut. Can't wait to see it at the challenge!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/8/17 9:28 a.m.

Rear fenders get cut friday. After a test run up the driveway and finishing the punch list.

mtmcd4runner
mtmcd4runner New Reader
5/8/17 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13: THANKS FOR THE NEW DESKTOP BACKGROUND AT WORK!!! THIS IS AWESOME!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/8/17 9:50 a.m.

In reply to mtmcd4runner:

You're welcome!

NickD
NickD SuperDork
5/8/17 11:03 a.m.
coexist wrote:
Stampie wrote: Looking at it I think a flare like the rears would tie it all together. Could you pull a mold of the rears and make matching fiberglass flares for the front? You wouldn't need to cover the entire tire but just visually tie them in.
This is what my first thought was also. Perhaps you could section the rear and move the flare up, then find another dead Gremlin to scavenge the rear flares and install on the front. But I don't mind the radius, and bonus to keep the stock paint. Looks tuff

I keep seeing people saying to use a rear flare on the front. Fun fact: On the Gremlin and Spirit, the front fender flare is actually much bigger than the rear. So, a rear flare is going to fit even worse.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/8/17 11:19 a.m.

Yup. WHEN we build flares, the factory flares i cut out will be incorporated into something much larger than anything the factory even imagined.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
5/8/17 12:37 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

I was thinking more along the lines of a girl wearing a thong at the beach. Yes she's technically wearing a bathing suit but all the good stuff is hanging out.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/8/17 12:41 p.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to NickD: I was thinking more along the lines of a girl wearing a thong at the beach. Yes she's technically wearing a bathing suit but all the good stuff is hanging out.

That is the best post this month.

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
5/8/17 12:50 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170506_124625_zpsprsnsflz.jpg.html][/URL]

That thing looks so completely "Mad Max"! I freaking love it!! I like the look just as-is, but I might like the flares just as much, either way, the car makes one hell of a visual statement! My dad had an AMC Spirit, it was the first 4-speed car I ever drove on the highway....legally..... :)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/8/17 12:58 p.m.

Funny thing is that we kicked around the idea of naming it mad max before Gary stuck.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/8/17 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

This has probably been raised before, but with a little interior and ballast added that would be a unique CAM-T car.

Nessumsar
Nessumsar New Reader
5/8/17 2:08 p.m.

Loving the look, and i vote hacked fenders all the way!

Although, I'm a bit partial to the look:

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
5/8/17 2:26 p.m.

This is amazing!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/9/17 10:06 a.m.

Just got caught up on this thread since it was featured as the ride of the week, amazing how far it's come since the early days! Didn't even realize this is the car I changed the color on.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/9/17 10:11 a.m.

Thanks again for that, gameboyrmh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ugyEbxJbIIzWdO8R5OEwAm4Zp4YCEUtQSTOT159xH8y2g87VPz8Ki9tFJiGOnRHo