speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/12/19 10:22 a.m.

From spending time lurking around the forums I've noticed a trend where people create build topics before they actually start their project. I figured I may as well follow the norm.

I do have another topic that is for another Starion I own and have slowly modified over the last 10+ years but this one I will try to do a bit differently. What will make it different? Well first and foremost I would like to put an honest effort into regularly updating this topic. If you've seen my other one its severely lacking in details and regular posting. The second thing I'd like to try is creating time lapses of the work I do. I've always really enjoyed looking back on pictures I've taking from past projects and this seems like a possible continuation of that. No how-to's, no concerns about likes or subscribers, no fancy editing. Just a simple single view video documenting the basic flow and feel of the build for my own edification. That being said I'll post it on Youtube and if you find them entertaining feel free to point your eyeballs at it.

Finally let me lay out what the plan for the car is...

For a very long time now I've been wanting to build some kind of approximation of what Mitsubishi might have sold to homologate the Starion for Group B rallying back in the late 80's. If your not familiar they did build a few, but I'm sure you can guess why that never happened. This project will be my attempt at doing just that.

I'll be starting with a rust free shell with a full interior that's really only missing an engine, transmission, and some other basics. The car was previously an automatic so that definitely will be changing. I've got lots of parts hoarded away and plenty of plans in my head. Only time will tell exactly what will happen lol.

I'll include two photo's of the car to reward you for reading that wall of text haha.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/12/19 10:50 a.m.

subbed

ebelements
ebelements Reader
11/12/19 10:59 a.m.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

My first car was an 86.5 Starion. At ten years old it was already a free range nightmare to keep happy but man did I love that car. I'd own another in a heartbeat even though I shouldn't.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/12/19 11:21 a.m.
ebelements said:

Can't wait to see where this goes.

My first car was an 86.5 Starion. At ten years old it was already a free range nightmare to keep happy but man did I love that car. I'd own another in a heartbeat even though I shouldn't.

On the contrary dude, you definitely should! haha

275nart
275nart Reader
11/12/19 11:24 a.m.

I don't know where you are but I have an 86 Starion roller just needs an engine/trans I'd let go cheap if you want a 3rd!  It is a manual chassis. and I'm in SC

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/12/19 11:43 a.m.
275nart said:

I don't know where you are but I have an 86 Starion roller just needs an engine/trans I'd let go cheap if you want a 3rd!  It is a manual chassis. and I'm in SC

I appreciate the offer, but I don't even have space for THIS car let alone another one lol.

shagles
shagles New Reader
11/12/19 11:44 a.m.

I've got a huge soft spot for Group B stuff. Definitely subbed.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/12/19 11:47 a.m.
shagles said:

I've got a huge soft spot for Group B stuff. Definitely subbed.

Go take a look at my other build thread then ;)

shagles
shagles Reader
11/12/19 1:49 p.m.

In reply to speedyquest :

Oh, I have. I love the turbo-fans and the headlights.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/12/19 2:13 p.m.
speedyquest said:
275nart said:

I appreciate the offer, but I don't even have space for THIS car let alone another one lol.

sure you do.   look UP!

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/12/19 2:15 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

LMAO!

Sadly I no longer have that work space. That was two years ago me...

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/13/19 7:50 a.m.

Small Update: Monday is the day planned get the car over to the workshop. What will be cool is the level of satisfaction from transformation will be pretty significant. I've already got an engine, transmission, wheels, and a few other cool things that can probably be installed the first day! Things will move quick.

I just can't wait!

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
11/13/19 8:03 a.m.

In reply to speedyquest :

I've always enjoyed your builds. Subbed! 

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/15/19 11:50 p.m.

I've been thinking through the plans for this build so I figured I'd list out what I've got worked out so far. So here we go...

1) Depower the stock steering box and remove all the silly power steering stuff

2) Remove all of the idle control stuff. If your not familiar with Starions, the idle control servo can be a major pain when trying to get the car to run well once it wears out. I'll accept some rough idle until warmup, I don't mind.

3) Removing both swaybars. We want that suspension articulation!

4) Fabricate upper strut mounts to replace those weak rubber isolators. I can use these to also raise the car up a bit. Maybe I'll even reinforce the strut tops.

5) Remove the stock A/C and heating stuff but fabricate a simplistic heat/defrost box to replace it. I plan on driving the car in the winter and defrost is always nice.

6) Remove anything else that's not needed. That includes  removing cruise control, tasteful back seat delete, remove audio equipment, etc. The interior, carpet, and all the stuff that makes it feel like a complete car will stay, but I do want to lose weight where I can without compromising it feeling like a real street car.

7) Fabricate sump guard, gravel guards, underbody guards.

8) Reinforce control arms

There will definitely be other stuff I'm sure but so far that's my basic plan.

Also if any of you have good suggestions feel free to let me know. I'm always open to ideas and constructive criticism.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/17/19 1:24 p.m.

Another small update, and frankly I feel a little embarrassed about how poorly I treated the car just letting it sit outside for a year. But this is reality and we live with our actions so here it is as it sits today.

Tomorrow it will be home and get cleaned up like it deserves.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/18/19 11:24 p.m.

After several hours of work the car is where it needs to be, back in the shop and ready to be shown some love. It was late so I didn't stick the wheels or engine in it. I'll dig into it Wednesday and I think it will transform pretty quickly. Here are some obligatory pictures! You can see the wheels that will be going on it in the second one.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/20/19 8:27 p.m.

After several hours in the garage and what seems like very little progress I figured I'd put the wheels on the car for some motivation haha. Here are a few pictures of the condition of the car before I seriously start clean up, tear down, and changes. I'm really looking forward to getting this car put together so I can drive it!

And here is the condition of the inside of the car. It certainly had some rodents in it but thankfully its not too bad. Also... steering wheel is awful and is DEFINITELY getting replaced!

And finally the business end of the car, whats under the hood?

Needless to say I've got work to do, things need to be reworked, fixed, and fabricated but I'm looking forward to it.

mbruneaux
mbruneaux Reader
11/20/19 8:47 p.m.

Does this mean your grey rallye car is "done"???  lol

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
11/20/19 8:50 p.m.
mbruneaux said:

Does this mean your grey rallye car is "done"???  lol

HAHA no and I think you probably know me well enough to know that ;)

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
12/9/19 2:39 p.m.

Its been awhile since my last update but I've not been sitting on my hands. As soon as it gets cold here my motivation to work in the garage slows down haha. Anyway I've been ordering parts, planning things out, and maybe most importantly making small amounts of headway on the car.

First and foremost I needed to clean the car up pretty badly so on a decently warm day I both vacuumed the car out and gave it a wash which helped a ton!

After that I spent some time in the engine bay sorting through all the wiring and other stuff. Removing what I wouldn't be using, cleaning up all the crap under there, and preparing to do any paint touchup that it needed.

And then I moved on to what I was definitely not looking forward to... removing the dash so I could both simplify the heating system and also install a clutch pedal (the car was originally an auto).

So now that I finished that and since I'm still waiting on a few parts I'll be putting the engine in next. Here is how the car sits now.

java230
java230 UberDork
12/9/19 3:19 p.m.

Nice to see some progress, I have a soft spot for these too.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
12/10/19 8:21 a.m.

Holy E36 M3 those wheels are perfect!

Can't wait to see where this goes.  4G63 swap in the future??

shagles
shagles Reader
12/10/19 9:35 a.m.

I agree with engiekev. What are they? I can't seem to find them.

speedyquest
speedyquest New Reader
12/10/19 4:19 p.m.

Yea the wheels really complete the "rally look" probably because they actually spec rally wheels haha. They are Fifteen52 Integrale Gravels.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lA4X07kcG0Xi4qps2tknZMGrVgUPrkqEp2rrcq6GPOu9yjZdYpKscDjZJhy3IcUJ