1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/3/24 4:04 p.m.

If you had a "nice" car and have to drive some distance to work in snow, salt & idiots, I would have one!!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
4/4/24 1:32 p.m.

One rugged, capable, 4WD off-roader, and a Toyota

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
4/7/24 2:15 p.m.

Caught up on some much-needed maintenance. Oil change, trans fluid, timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, clutch cable, PCV, a power steering hose, and a general degreasing of the engine bay and undercarriage. During the trip home, the engine was leaking oil from several places I think due to a clogged PCV. I did a temp fix on the PCV and the oil leak stopped, and now a new grommet and correct replacement valve are in. It does burn a little oil on deceleration after winding it out, so hopefully some fresh synthetic oil will help clear that up. Likely old valve stem seals. It was also leaking from a cracked, brittle power steering hose. It should be leak free now, and with a freshly cleaned underside it should hopefully stay that way. A hugely noticeable upgrade was replacing the clutch cable. The old one was stretch and corroded, which made the pedal feel spongey and awful. It's now snappy and light, really improves the driveability.

Belt, tensioner, and water pump were all in good shape but you never know until you get in there.

I love my fluid transfer pump

Also pushed some fresh fluid to all four corners, and it needed it. Pedal is bit firmer now.

Then I got the headlights and wheels shined up. I think now it's time for lift and tires. Maybe some paint correction.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
4/7/24 3:40 p.m.

Update: tires and lift kit ordered. Going up to 215/75R15 (27.7") compared to the stock 25". Planning to mount them to the stock wheels 15x5.5", hence the effort in cleaning them. Lift is MaxPeeDingdongs 2" spring and strut spacers. Should be just over 3" more up!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/24 4:25 p.m.

I'd really like a 2d hard top tracker  or sidekick but they're so few and far between. This looks nice.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/8/24 10:57 a.m.

I like the direction this is going. Lots of various 4x4 threads this year!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/8/24 11:41 a.m.

Fun little rig. I've wanted one but they are few and far between down here.

Y'all keep it up with the Suzukis and I'm going to have to dig the Samurai out of the Conex box and tinker with it some. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/8/24 11:50 a.m.

My buddy bought a new Sidekick, we duned, trailed, hauled dirtbikes, PWC, generally ran the snot out of it for 100k miles.  All it needed was brakes and shocks when it was time to sell.

He was really good at working the twin stick in and out of 4WD and 2nd and 3rd drifting around in the snow. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
4/16/24 4:41 p.m.

Lift kit: installed. It's pretty simple, just 3 pairs of spacers. One for each spring and one between the stut and tower. These cars have McPherson struts with the springs located in the a-arm pocket, like a foxbody Mustang. Of course no instructions were included from MaxPeeDingDongs, so I inferred you have to press out the tophat studs and drill them to accept the thru-bolts. Separately I bought a set of foxbody Mustang rear shocks because they are almost the same but with 2" more overall length.

I also slotted the strut mounting hole so I can fix the impending positive camber gain. 

Shocks were almost direct bolt-on, except the width of the lower metal sleeve is too long, so you have to chop 1/4" off each side.

And with that...it's lifted!

Wow that's weird. Better fix it with more tire!

This is just the stupidest car

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/16/24 4:49 p.m.

The stupidest and the coolest at the same time.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
4/16/24 7:01 p.m.

They don't rub! Or maybe just barely! Lift kit squeaks and clunks though. There are no rubber isolators between spring and spacer, so that's probably the noise. Everything else seems fine after re-toeing the alignment.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
4/17/24 6:59 a.m.

Love it. It looks great. That is the perfect stance for that little thing. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/17/24 11:37 a.m.

It needs a Hot Wheels logo, because it is clearly a full size toy car.

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/17/24 12:19 p.m.

There are a couple well cared for ones running around up here by me. One is the same color as yours. I always feel the designer just put the cockpit on as a after thought.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 Dork
4/17/24 1:18 p.m.

That is possibly the ugliest vehicle I've ever been jealous about...

Neat project!

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
4/17/24 1:26 p.m.

Man, every one of your threads delivers. Keep doing what you do. 

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
4/17/24 7:14 p.m.

There are so many interesting euphemisms for mustache . . .

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
4/18/24 9:51 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Better fix it with more tire!

This is just the stupidest car

If it works it isn't stupid.

I'm also visualizing a bar on the roof with Cibie lights on it.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/18/24 12:15 p.m.

I like this a little too much.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
4/19/24 11:29 a.m.

Went to the local car meet last night. The youths seems like to relaly like the X-90! I parked next to my old car this one replaced - a '21 ND in navy blue over white leather. RIP sad They're both blue, 2-door, 2-seat, manual, 4-cylinder convertibles!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
4/19/24 11:35 a.m.

I'm a little disappointed that there isn't a curb articulation pic in here yet. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
4/19/24 11:39 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

I actually did flex on the curb out front since they were out of spots, but they made me move lol

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
5/3/24 8:56 a.m.

No start this morning sad Didn't spend time troubleshooting, but the battery is only two years old, new terminals, and I could hear the solenoid clicking. So either alternator isn't charging or starter motor is dead. It's done it a few times in the past, but I was able to keep trying until it cranked. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
5/3/24 9:03 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

If you can jump it- Alternator.

If you can't jump it- Starter. 

At least, that's how it's always gone for me...

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/3/24 10:29 a.m.

Could also be the starter solenoid if so equipped. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7g5dzgJy64vN81pIdKlduOVxpo5ISsxzY8KXekeRLv553Dk8chbNKpe5BhG7zHgh