3 4 5 6
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/23 11:49 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

I would like to subscribe to your brand of insanity, please.

Welcome! 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/20/23 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks!

I would also like to apply as the western extension of the BDT, as my history with projects is replete with terrible ideas... cheeky

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/4/23 2:14 p.m.

Well, we've got a motor that at least runs!

I'm building a test stand for this old 12a.

Next steps are going to be seeing how poorly the renesis engine mounts bolt up, and also maybe improving the stand to run a radiator and some gauges and stuff so I can make sure we hold coolant and the carb sort of works and that other kinda semi important stuff that's useful in endurance racing.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
10/4/23 3:41 p.m.

Don't 12a have the mount WAY at the front and the Renesis is towards the back / middle?

nocones
nocones PowerDork
10/4/23 4:31 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Yes 12a have 4 bolts right at the front. 

I'm confident welding the engine in will be the least of our issues.  

also I take no responsibility for any improper modifications to that carb that I did when I was 17 TWENTY THREE years ago.  

nocones
nocones PowerDork
10/4/23 4:34 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Dangerously inadequate number or Braps in that video.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/6/23 9:14 p.m.

This project is soon heading East & changing hands,  Well, Looks like I'm going to be combining the Free Hoosiers

with the Free RX8

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
11/6/23 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

The perfect accompaniment to your fleet of prii. Good work. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/16/23 9:09 p.m.

Gumby sent this:

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
11/16/23 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

So what are your plans?  Gonna do a build thread or just show in 24 and kick behind?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/16/23 9:55 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Plans are fluid at the moment.   Obviously it's gonna need an engine. 

Probably an LS variant, because that's how I roll, but who knows.  Also my 16 year old son and his best friend are excited about it and the prospect of fielding a High School entry.

Edit: One thing is certain, it'll be a "down and dirty"  build. Because no title.  It's life after the Challenge is limited 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
11/16/23 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

There's a few $200-300 5.3s floating around on the local marketplace if you struggle to find something cheap around Indy.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/17/23 5:41 p.m.

If this gets to the challenge as a high school entry I will be so happy. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/17/23 10:20 p.m.

Barely Functional Racing is now in possession of the Free Junk RX8:

Thanks Gumby and NoCones for delivering it.  

And a quick test fit of the wheels that might be on the car for Challenge purposes:

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/18/23 6:53 a.m.

Here I stand in between two Challenge Champions with my (stalled out) LS swap project in the background.

We brainstormed a plan that will just have to be flushed out:  use the LS that's currently sitting in the TR4 for the free Junk RX8.   Long time readers may recall the engine came from a $350 GMC Envoy named Humpie.

gumby
gumby Dork
11/18/23 6:58 a.m.

RIP Humpie.

Good hanging out last night. I'm ready to see SOMETHING accomplished using this rx8.

Just wait till you see it in the daylight!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/18/23 11:46 a.m.

I approve of this plan. 

Also, Indy Guy, we can talk as your plans are forming up. I still have a few things that you might want that have been shuffled around and were not with the car. For example I think the electronic power steering works as long as you plug in the stock engine crank sensor and put the trigger wheel on the engine's pulley. I have those things if you want them. Wvumtbiker knows more about what is needed I think.

I've got a $5 tach I was planning to use with this car, an aluminum seat (that is not usable as is but could be fixed), etc. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
11/18/23 3:00 p.m.

If you keep the mazda ecu in there and feed it oil pressure, water temp, and the crank signal, the power steering works, as do the tach and all other guages.  

The speedometer works and the ABS work if you keep it in the car.  It is mostly standalone and works well.

What wheels are those and how well do they fit?  I need a set of challenge wheels as well.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/20/23 1:16 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I approve of this plan. 

Also, Indy Guy, we can talk as your plans are forming up. I still have a few things that you might want that have been shuffled around and were not with the car. For example I think the electronic power steering works as long as you plug in the stock engine crank sensor and put the trigger wheel on the engine's pulley. I have those things if you want them. Wvumtbiker knows more about what is needed I think.

I've got a $5 tach I was planning to use with this car, an aluminum seat (that is not usable as is but could be fixed), etc. 

Robbie,  Thanks.  And yes, I'd be interested in the sensors, (and maybe the seat).  At the moment, we're just searching for a set of replacement stock seats.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/20/23 1:18 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

If you keep the mazda ecu in there and feed it oil pressure, water temp, and the crank signal, the power steering works, as do the tach and all other guages.  

The speedometer works and the ABS work if you keep it in the car.  It is mostly standalone and works well.

What wheels are those and how well do they fit?  I need a set of challenge wheels as well.

I'll be knocking in on your build thread to pick your brain for more info once we get some preliminary things accomplished. 

Wheels:  They are Bullit style from a 2000's - ish Mustang.

gumby
gumby Dork
11/20/23 6:00 p.m.

Those are s197 Bullit wheels. sn95 are et30

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
11/20/23 7:44 p.m.
gumby said:

Those are s197 Bullit wheels. sn95 are et30

What years should I be looking for?  

Thanks!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
11/20/23 7:51 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

197 started in '05 with the retro look.  The SN95 platform was '94-'04? I think?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
11/26/23 2:29 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Ok, let me try and put my mits on the oil pressure, water temp, and crank sensors for Indy guy. 

Where does the speedometer signal come from? Trans or diff?

Indy guy, we never had an ECU unfortunately, just FYI.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
11/26/23 3:21 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Ok, let me try and put my mits on the oil pressure, water temp, and crank sensors for Indy guy. 

Where does the speedometer signal come from? Trans or diff?

Indy guy, we never had an ECU unfortunately, just FYI.

Speedometer signal comes from the Wheel speed sensors for the abs.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HtZQ6GPP8SA72IEwxSl9n4kPKeSm7ZhNwnU3M6byrQbqqe54AaC6y22BsZiCDkyw