1 2
Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
5/7/24 7:07 a.m.

Wow, completely missed this....

Couple things, buy the appropriate energy suspension swaybar endlinks in about the same size in length. $20 for a pair vs 40 each. I put skf xtracker front hubs on. Do NOT impact the axle nuts on unless you want to do them again soon. Trans pan will come off without berkeleying with the exhaust. Drop the filter into the pan and a small prybar to move things out of the way. Also expect to either replace a trans soon or just wait and E36 M3 $4k later. Torque converter will likely be the culprit because of programming. I didn't think dod/AFM hit until DI in the 6.x's.

Currently still rolling my 13 Avalanche with 254k. One transmission and many oil changes later...

Edit-the engine oil cooler lines really aren't that bad to replace. Take the lines off the front, unbolt everything, raise the engine via hoist, and remove from the trans side.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
5/7/24 8:19 a.m.

Is it normal for the front end links to just up and disappear on these?  And just 10k miles after you replaced it?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
5/7/24 8:25 a.m.
RedGT said:

Is it normal for the front end links to just up and disappear on these?  And just 10k miles after you replaced it?

I think the plastic cracks, falls off, then just the bolt is left to fend for itself, pops a head off, and poof gone. It's also always the passenger side one.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
5/7/24 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

I'll look into those Energy swaybar links. I bought a pair of the Delphi links and only installed one because the left side was still intact.

The 6.2 got the DOD in 2010 on the SUVs, the HD trucks might have waited until DI to start the DOD.  Do you have anymore insight on the converter programming? I have the Escalade licensed on my HP Tuners account so I can make tweaks to that if it will help the life of the trans. I'm planning on doing another filter and fluid change this summer as I'm coming up on 50k miles on this fluid.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
5/7/24 2:47 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Greg Adams on TikTok just did a video, torque converter failures, on this yesterday or the day before.

My 6L finally died after a converter failure at 210k and 60(?)k of full on max pressure shifts. 😁

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRwX7f31/ Direct video link.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
5/17/24 11:48 p.m.

Yay!!! This is fun! I just finished "patching" the trans cooler line I should have replaced before we left for Gulf Shores. One of the crimps was weeping a little bit of trans fluid, turns out there was a rust pin hole in one of the cooler lines and it was pissing trans fluid on the cross member all the way to Paducah, KY today. I caught it about 3 hours in to the trip and grabbed some hose, trans fluid, a bottle of Lucas and some hose clamps from Oreillys. We stopped to add fluid once between Champaign and Paducah and we always had fluid on the stick and mostly wear it should be but it leaves a puddle in the parking lot and glazes the back window with fluid. Free undercoating!!!

Luckily I never go on a trip like this without a Milwaukee Packout full of tools, tire plug, zip ties and JB Weld. So the JB weld, a few hose clamps and a piece of hose have become a patch on the rusty line hopefully gets us to my FIL house tomorrow. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞

My FIL just picked up a 4 door JK wrangler as a second car so we might commandeer that for a couple days. Also my FIL's neighbor has a center post lift in her barn so I'm going to Amazon a set of cooler hoses and see if I can use the lift. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/18/24 2:15 p.m.

Yikes, that is rough! Good luck and I hope you don't lose the transmission before you get there!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
5/18/24 2:17 p.m.

Good News! No leak from the cooler line from the JB Weld patch. Still some slight weeping from one of the crimps closer to the radiator. Cooler lines have been ordered and should be delivered by Wednesday in Alabama. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
5/23/24 5:35 p.m.

Got the new lines swapped over today and should be all good for the drive home on Sunday. The JB weld held up really well but having these finally replaced is great peace of mind. I did use my FIL neighbor's lift and the +50 year old center post lift was not up to the task of the 6000lb Escalade. It wouldn't even lift the tires off the ground and got in the way of the transmission so it was not as easy of a job as I had hoped. 

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
6/7/24 9:39 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I've never seen those plastic handles for hose clamps and now I wish I had one in every size..

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
6/7/24 10:01 a.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

They were all the FLAPS had. I tried to pop on off and it had a square protrusion rather than a recessed phillips drive.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JaYzyYgTBzkDcrJ1vEU4z8siV46dxP25JWXqV3PNO6OJTmBIUHDQhOLwu82cQ8Ks