prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/9/24 9:23 p.m.

Captains Log
Stardate July 09, 2024 (I'm too lazy to convert)
North Carolina Quadrant

I have acquired a new vessel, The Kia is now gone.  2019 Transit Connect.  2.0, 8spd.  118k miles.  I honestly wanted one year older with the 2.5/6spd, but this one was a good deal and in great condition.  Also it happens to have the window combination I wanted, which isn't super common (glass on rear cargo doors, glass on passenger sliding door)  Pretty extensive service history and no damage.  Drives great.

Honestly, when reading up I was a little shocked to see Ford has stopped selling these.  I see these everywhere.  Its a (very) basic appliance, but very good at what it does.  Drives so much better than larger minivans or trucks.  The only thing I really wish Ford would do (maybe this is in the long term plan?) is build one with a Maverick hybrid drivetrain.

The plan is that this will be my daily driver as well as a weekend adventure vehicle.  "Adventure" in this context means going places, mountain biking, hiking, etc. and sleeping in the back of the van.

I've had it for 2 days, so of course I have a list of upgrades/issues to address:

1. Currently does not have any floormats, and vinyl floor is slick.
  2. Need to remove & sell all of the fleet vehicle equipment.  Cargo/driver compartment bulkhead, shelves, toolboxes, and especially the ladder roof rack, which likely has a big impact on gas mileage.  Hopefully I can get a few bucks out of this.
  3. Need to upgrade the radio to something with Carplay / AA.  Its been a long time since I've upgraded a radio, so I have to make a call to Crutchfield and reacquaint myself with this process.
  4. The windshield is large and untinted.  A tint strip at the top would go a long way.
  5. General camping build out:  I'll address this in a separate post.
  6. The mirrors are... manual?  Not move-the-little-stick-by-the-mirror manual.  Like roll down the window and push on the glass with your hand manual.  Its not ideal, but I can deal with it.  If its a simple upgrade to replace with power mirrors, I'd like to snag the parts and do that.

Things I need to think on some more:

1. Where the hell do I get a CAD model or drawing package?  I'm blown away that there are serious threaded mounting holes pretty much everywhere, but I can't seem to find any manual with dimensions.  Its insane that so many people upfit these, and they are designed for fleet use, yet they don't have CAD or drawings available?  Maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot.
  2. Do I need some sort of silly graphics?
  3. Do I mess with the suspension, wheels and tires?  I absolutely do not need to do this, but it could be fun.
NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
7/9/24 9:31 p.m.

1- I thought for a moment that Pat Sajak retiring really did a number...

2- cool van

3- I'm sure there are some sick suspension mods pioneered by someone who is happy to tell you about it but not field questions and then delete everything.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/9/24 10:11 p.m.
NY Nick said:

Good point.  Can a mod please add "(DD/Campervan)" to the title?

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/9/24 10:46 p.m.

Selling a vehicle with these mirrors should be illegal.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/9/24 10:53 p.m.
prodarwin said:
NY Nick said:

Good point.  Can a mod please add "(DD/Campervan)" to the title?

Done.  

I have a Ram Promaster City as a company provided vehicle.  It's got some quirks and is rather basic but I enjoy the vehicle more than I thought I ever would.  

This Transit, local to me, is riding on 19" Ford Escape Titanium trim level wheels and I think they look good.  Focus ST wheels look good also. 

Oh, how I agree than a Maverick Hybrid drivetrain in this van package would be the near ideal vehicle for my job.  

wyndscreen
wyndscreen New Reader
7/10/24 11:23 a.m.

manual mirrors are just fine!

in fact, get rid of all the screens and cross-tied systems, start/stop. cyl shutdown, everything

ac, power windows, and a double din radio that can be upgraded with a $100 part every 2 years is all we need!

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/10/24 3:00 p.m.

Adding a few more mental notes to myself:

1. Seats are vinyl... they do not breathe well.  Even though the A/C works quite well, my mid back is damp when getting out of the car, especially when its upper 90s & humid.  Might want to get a beaded seat cover.
  2. Windshield sun shade would probably be a good idea
  3. I wonder if there is a door handle that can open the rear doors from the inside (besides sticking a finger between them)
eedavis
eedavis New Reader
7/10/24 3:58 p.m.
prodarwin said:

<snip>
The only thing I really wish Ford would do (maybe this is in the long term plan?) is build one with a Maverick hybrid drivetrain.
</snip>

+100.  Or even better, Toyota, are you listening?  How bout a city van on the RAV4 platform? 

(Nice score, OP)

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/13/24 9:34 p.m.

Updates:

• Utility vehicle stuff removed.  Going to put it up for sale shortly.  My highway mileage immediately jumped by like 4.5mpg, which doesn't surprise me as that ladder rack could catch a lot of wind.
  • Weathertech mats ordered
  • Trying to resolve the stereo situation, but that is going on the backburner for a bit because its a pain in the ass.
  • Did some test fitting with my bike... its a tight squeeze with both wheels on and the partition in place.

Not sure what the plan is with the partition.  I want to have one for typical daily duties as it makes it a lot quicker to cool down, and reduces cabin noise.  But I would like to remove when in camping mode for a variety of reasons.  I might try and make something removeable.  A curtain might work, however it is nice to be able to see through the rear windows.

Here's what the back looks like now:

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/13/24 9:52 p.m.

Here is the basic layout I'm shooting for.  The blue areas just represent shelves for miscellaneous stuff.  LH will probably be biking/hiking/etc. related stuff, RH will probably be a place to charge a phone, empty pockets, etc.

One thing not shown in this terrible paint drawing is where I will put a cooler, and thats partly because I haven't figured it out yet.

Solo travel:

2 person travel:

I can also utilize the backside of the doors for storage as well when I have a better idea of what my needs are.  They both look like they have panels I could easily replace and make more functional.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/30/24 9:10 p.m.

Well, its going slower than I'd like it to, but its going.

I pulled the floor out yesterday so I could take a photo and digitize it today:

Hopefully I'll be doing a test fit tomorrow of this (just a paper test).

The vinyl is pretty heavy, but definitely has significant sound deadening properties.  I'm going to try to keep it in place and put the wood floor over top of it.

Also found while the floor was out that the front section is just a false floor in the cargo version.  You can see in the vinyl floor below it the cutouts for installing the passenger seats in the "wagon" version of the van.  I haven't 100% resolved how I'm going to approach this, but I think my plan is to keep these areas accessible (although maybe not rapidly), and use the space for an extra battery as well as maybe another tiny cubby or even lockable/hidden storage on one side.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
8/17/24 9:59 p.m.

Been a while, but again slow progress.  Now I am 99% confident in my floor layout, so the pressure is on me to get the design done in CAD so I can cut it.

Test fit of rev4 (1-3 were paper):

And rev 3 of my phone mount, soon to be replaced with a more robust (PET-CF or similar) material:

Daraku
Daraku New Reader
8/29/24 7:24 p.m.

I'm currently building out a Transit Connect as a touring vehicle. I won't be living in it, mainly just need a bed on wheels instead of having to be in and out of hotels on the road. So for my situation, fuel mileage was the biggest factor, so that's why I went the micro camper route.

I'm 6'2" and it is cramped. It's tight quarter's no matter your size. I prioritized having a really comfortable bed and a nice sized fridge, so those two things eat up most of the space. It's a bit of a pain to change clothes in and I spend a lot of time moving stuff around to get to other stuff or to transition the bed to a bench. But it gets much better mileage and drives like a car, which is nice in the city and when parking. It's a great road trip vehicle.

However, if you're considering vans to live in permanently or for extended camping, and fuel mileage isn't a top priority, you'll be much more comfortable in a full-size cargo van with extra storage.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pIN4yJs4ZYwMmVGzbnJolYOFhniy3XEyjSXUUNC9ovfvIMBV3aC9NKXNjidoYHs5