759NRNG PowerDork
8/13/23 9:57 a.m.

Push you in the seat acceleration?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/13/23 11:17 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Push you in the seat acceleration?

Not really. But then I have been driving it for a while and the novelty of it accelerating has kinda normalized. So probably so for anyone who had not driven it. This was  only the second or third time I have "launched" the car from a standstill. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/15/23 10:37 p.m.

Might not look like it, but had a good evening at the local test and tune. Got down from a 14.8 to a 14.0. 

Sadly the alternator decided to quit and with a long drive home and no idea how long the battery would last, I hitched a ride with a friend who just happened to be there with his tow truck.

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
9/16/23 4:21 a.m.

Phew.

At least that is easy to fix. Not so quick if you decide to do a round of "since I am here...", but you will get no complains from us if you decide to go down that road!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/16/23 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Piguin :

I do have a spare alternator. I just happens to be attached to a freshly rebuilt Ls L33 that I have sitting around. Don't give me bad ideas.

Seriously, I think the chassis and power level are well matched as-is with the Molvo. If I want to work on the launch I think I could get into the 13 second bracket, but I now have an idea of the cars potential and will probably just go back to cruising around.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
9/16/23 9:57 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

That's a darned handy friend to have!

What kind of trap speeds and 60' times were you turning?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/16/23 11:31 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

trap speed at 1/4 was just under 100 mph for all four runs that I did. The timeslip is out in the shop so dont  have that data. Will check tomorrow.  Pretty consistent @ 75 mph at the 8th with around 25 mph  gain on the top half.

If there is time to be saved, it would be on the launch.  Seems a bit relaxed in the video

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/17/23 9:10 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Sparta?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/17/23 9:59 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Yup. As you know, not far from home.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/17/23 10:10 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:

In reply to NOHOME :

That's a darned handy friend to have!

What kind of trap speeds and 60' times were you turning?

run 1-    14.34 et     2.27  (60 ft)     95( trap)                                   

run 2-   14.21 et     2.149                 99

run 3-   14.67 et     2.58                  98     (two people in car)

run 4-   14.08 et     2.167                98

So with such a tight spread, I don't think there is much left in the car. There might be something left in the driving/launching. I think the message is if you want to go fast and consistent on the track run an auto.

Pete

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Dork
9/17/23 10:54 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Yep, there it is, right in the 60' times. That's a 13-second car with a better launch. Pretty quick!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/19/23 10:10 p.m.

The last two days have been spent reshingling the shop. Good for another 15 years I hope. Posting it here as a timestamp

java230
java230 PowerDork
9/20/23 8:54 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

roofing is a 100% hire it out job.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/20/23 12:00 p.m.
java230 said:

In reply to NOHOME :

roofing is a 100% hire it out job.

Maybe right for next time, but at 64, its nice to know I can still do this E36 M3. It helps to have friends who have some experience and others to help carry heavy stuff up the ladder. Big shout-out to the group that normally hangs out INSIDE the shop.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/4/23 8:58 p.m.

Well, the alternator fix did not take and had to do a tense drive home at night with the alternator ight staring me in the face. The new fuse did not fix it this time so the alternator came out and went back for a rebuild.

I have a theory that I have a grounding issue. The car recently got a new battery that I felt failed too early and now the alternator. Might want to add a ground or two and measure some voltages.

While the car is  undergoing alternator surgery, decided to take a stab at fixing a coolant leak. I bought a new pump, but have a feeling that it is a case of the existing bolts not being tight enough.  The weep-hole is dry. Have to say now that I have been exposed to doing water pump changes on LS engines and Ford modular engines, I am not a fan of the 302 parade of rusty bolts holding the pump on to the timing chain cover.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/24/24 10:10 p.m.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Dork
6/25/24 2:24 p.m.

Rad! Looking forward to the review

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/28/24 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

The Review:

Took the car out for a brake pad bed-in. Not something I have ever taken this seriously. Right out the door the extra lever action from the larger disc was noticeable.

Was a few mile drive to a  quiet road where I knew I could do some serious 70mph  braking. I put maybe 15 of these stops on the new brakes and they got better after each time. 

Checked with the heat gun and all 4 were around 310 F.  No idea if this was good or bad but they were starting to get a bit stinky. I took the equal temps for a win.

The proportioning valve for the rear was a waste of money. I am running full pressure to the rears and don't see where I will want to change that. I could have used 2  two dollar brake line couplers to eliminate the factory proportioning valve and it would have been the same.  

While the improvement is quite noticeable,  I would not describe the brakes as "grabby" it  does not want to lock up the front wheels until the speed gets down to like 30 mph or so. The car does have sticky 200 TW tires.  Pretty sure the wifes Corolla will outbrake the Volvo, but I am calling this a win.

And they look cool behind the rims!

Edit: Something else I learned today:  The car has a 4 barrel Holley carb. During the hard braking maneuvers the car now  generates enough G force  to move the fuel in the front bowl away from the main jet and shut the engine off. This causes the engine to shut-off during the hard braking maneuvers.  Not going to worry about it too much.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/14/24 9:33 p.m.

Two new toys. Engine run-in stand and rebuilt L33. Totally stock as the goal was best all around road manners.

idling at 550 rpm and it seems to keep fluids where they should be and does not overheat. Revs up right quick and nothing bad out the tailpipes. Gonna call it a win.

Now what am I going to do with this thing?

Gammaboy
Gammaboy New Reader
8/15/24 7:06 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Edit: Something else I learned today:  The car has a 4 barrel Holley carb. During the hard braking maneuvers the car now  generates enough G force  to move the fuel in the front bowl away from the main jet and shut the engine off. This causes the engine to shut-off during the hard braking maneuvers.  Not going to worry about it too much.

I always used to have a problem with the rear float bowl burping fuel out the vent and flooding out the engine under heavy braking, modified 750vac sec with a jettable metering plate rather than 2 metering blocks. I think I had jet extensions and a vent baffle on the front bowl, but there wasn't a vent baffle available for the rear bowl/plate setup

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/19/24 6:17 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Don't just tease us.  Hurry up and shoe horn that thing in there. 😉 

113 114 115

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
icF37YVLcXXEQzbj4cIr8b0YFTkWkI4kB6e3JwhuwPRJNSp8KOLmg4MsgP09rIDa