LillianFelly
LillianFelly New Reader
4/16/24 4:39 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

loosecannon
loosecannon UltraDork
4/16/24 8:54 a.m.

I have built a number of "dream" cars over the years and have learned some valuable lessons. The biggest lesson has been that if you're careful, you can enjoy a car and eventually sell it for a small profit (or at least not lose money). Even when you have your dream car, your dream may change some day and you don't want to take a massive loss on it. "Loosecannon, can you be more specific?" you may ask. Yes, I can

1.Consider your location-You may desire a slammed Miata but you live in Alaska so even if you get the car you want, good luck selling it when you're bored. Example: I had an Outlaw(ish) air cooled 911 and it was awesome, except I live in Canada and up here, Porsche people want stock, unmodified Porsches and I lost sooo much money. If I was in California, I might have found a buyer for it

2. Age changes you-if this is a car you plan on keeping forever, consider what future you might want. Straight pipes might be cool when you're 22 years old but somewhere in your 30's, that drone on the highway is going to drive you and your fiance' crazy. Example: I had a rusty 1988 Suburban and a super cool sports car with Supertrapps on it and my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) didn't want me to pick her up in the sports car. A simple, well thought out exhaust system cured the noise problem and made it so much more enjoyable for me, and everybody within hearing distance.

3. There is unique-good and unique-bad. You might have a vision for a super unique dream car but if you're the only person on the planet with that vision, that car is going to be almost worthless. Example: a local ordered a new Porsche 911 Turbo in orange. Nothing wrong with that, it looked awesome, except they fit it with a RED interior and YELLOW seat belts. They loved the uniqueness of it but after a few years, they took a loss when selling it

4.Don't build a one trick pony AKA build it to be versatile-If you build a car to dominate any particular thing, it will inevitably be really poor at everything else. Example: The Pink Panther (my race car) has been built to win EMod class in autocross and as a result, it can't do anything else, which is why I'm building a new car which can do everything well

5. Pick base vehicles that have a healthy aftermarket-Some vehicles have very little aftermarket support and maybe you think a Restomod Trabant would be the coolest car in the world but how are you going to put a 6 speed gearbox in it? Example: My 69 GMC Suburban restomod had a very healthy aftermarket and only a few bits were made from unobtanium and as a result, I was able to build it relatively easy and make a nice profit when the decision came to sell it.

6. Consider cost of build VS what the finished project will be worth-I guess this whole post could be boiled down to this one rule, but that wouldn't be fun, would it? In the year or so before I bought my current project car (67 Camaro) my wife and I made a list of dream builds. Top cars on that list were 510 Datsun, air cooled 911, first gen Nova and first gen Camaro. After considering the first 5 rules, we narrowed the list down to a 62-67 Nova or a 67-69 Camaro. This is where it gets interesting. Doing a complete spreadsheet of costs to build each of these cars the exact way we wanted, turns out the COST was identical (roughly $100,000) but a search of BringATrailer auctions revealed that the Camaro would be worth 2-3 times as much as an equally prepared Nova. The decision had been made for us. We have no intention of selling the Camaro but we have learned that desires change with time and if we ever decide to sell, the Camaro will be no problem.

I have to go to work at my side gig now so I can afford to build my Camaro, hope this helps

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
4/16/24 9:02 a.m.

I'll definitely back #5. I have a JDM mitsubishi mirage. Super cool, Revs to the moon, and I've played with mirages for ages. But getting anything for it a royal pain.

Point in case, an exhaust system. There is really one off the shelf system out there and it's 104DB at full song. Way too loud for a lot of tracks. And simple things that are require a lot of work to find. So my other 2 cars are a turbo miata and an Evo 9. The miata is being build just how I like it and it's a ton of fun to drive. 

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
4/16/24 9:14 a.m.
LillianFelly said:

What were the pivotal moments and challenges encountered by enthusiasts who embarked on building their dream project cars or enhancing their "exclusive" vehicles? How did they navigate the intricate balance between personal vision and practicality, and what strategies did they employ to overcome financial, technical, and logistical hurdles along the way? Furthermore, what insights and lessons learned can be gleaned from their experiences, shedding light on the intricate journey of turning automotive dreams into tangible realities?

This is 100% AI generated drivel.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/16/24 9:46 a.m.

First thought was they needed a paddle, for their digital canoe.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/16/24 9:51 a.m.

As with so many things in life, it is about starting with no experience or realistic chances of getting to the end, failing and then taking the lessons learned to the next effort.  Building the perfect project car takes iteration. 

Impossible to pass on universal wisdom because we all start from different places. For some $$$ is not the obstacle, others have lots of time but no skills, you may or may not have the wife/family on board so factor that in and learn to navigate. 

For me the breakthrough was to come to the realization that "Good enough" for any task on the project is not good. enough,  If you say "good enough for me" enough times, the finished project will not be. This meant that I took big steps back and re-did things even at the expense of time and $$$ just because I found a better or proper way to do something.

Project cars are always going to be 2 steps forward and 1.99 steps backwards. It pains me to fully install a drivetrain for the 10th time only to accept that it will have to come back out just to fab some bracket that cant be fabbed otherwise.

If I can steal from Skinny G's signature, "This should be fun..." Early on, I realized that I do this stuff  not because I want to drive a car or make money selling the finished car but rather because it provides a positive feedback loop; a project is a series of task that challenge me. I feel good when I finish an individual task and/or learn a new skill. Rinse and repeat.  If you do enough task, you end up with a vehicle.

For me, the finished project is amortized to zero; it owes me nothing and if sold that is just seed money for the next one. Not having to be fiscally responsible frees me up to do stupid stuff.  Then the task is to find the next vehicle. 

AhBNormal
AhBNormal Reader
4/18/24 10:03 p.m.

Here is a novel proposition: Build it like you might give it away, but "resale?" LOL!, THAT will be someone else's problem. I'm 62 y/o, I'd bet all this steel will hit the shredder upon my demise. I'm starting with 10 y/o FWD cars with very little value but are only "an office" for the driver to sit in.(every car has "an office")  Stock engine and trans relocated to the rear; I hope to have a running prototype for under 5K. Then I'll get another body and use the original prototype to execute the project again to a more defined level.(I'm thinking It'll have a radio?) Third try probably a 3.8 supercharged Or a Turbo Honda K motor with a Boxter 5 speed trans mounted N/S (following it's transmission's design). We shall see.

Just remember! In order to FINISH any build at some point you must START the build! This means choose a victim, gather the parts in one place, clean and organize them. Then assemble them. Deceptively simple!

You may find yourself sidelined learning about suspension design, welding, Electrical/braking/steering/sub-systems, Or finding an expert in these fields to hire; all par for the course! No project is ever likely to work out exactly as planned after sustaining direct contact with (the demon) reality.

And remember to have fun! If it ain't fun maybe you shoulda just bought a New Car?

P.S. And if this is all just some "AI" jymcrackery produced falderall, I hope you learned why us hoomans are so much better than you will ever be. May you enjoy your existence as a flounder in a canoe. Have a nice day.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog Dork
4/18/24 10:48 p.m.

Loosecannon did a good job summing it up. yes

In my case if I'm building a "dream project" then I have no thought of its potential resale value, in fact I understand it probably won't make money, but neither does my life long racing habit; I'm into it for other reasons.

If it is not a dream project, just something I'm flipping, then all of Loosecannon's statements apply.

The challenges are usually funding the dream project, finding the time to keep making progress, learning new skill sets to achieve it, and the many hours of research needed to find parts, learn techniques, etc.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/19/24 9:31 a.m.

Dream it, estimate the budget, forget it and move on. Maybe someday. 

pushrod36
pushrod36 HalfDork
4/19/24 9:52 a.m.

I came to write what Loosecannon already said in #6.  

Also, I have so much respect for people who build their dream with no regard for resale value.

Cyclone03
Cyclone03 New Reader
4/19/24 10:44 p.m.

I still,after 18 years,have the dream car I built. First drive in 2009.

The biggest problem is shifting desire for my "perfect".

The goal was always to finish the high school car I could never afford. 

My car is a 68 Mustang coupe.

The plan was a Big block 68 Mustang "135" type car. White,stick,Cobra Jet. Steel painted wheels and poverty caps.

What it ended up being is a Blue ,FE powered stroker ,5 spd, Vintage trans am suspension with Torque Thrust wheels. Fuel injection,AC and 4 wheel disc that has gone from Texas to Ca,Texas to Kansas City on 2016 Hot Rod Power tour. Then to our retirement in Colorado.

Its not "perfect" yet.

Im about to do it again with a 64 Comet.....

It should be a drag car, it's going to be a vintage road racer....

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/20/24 7:52 a.m.

Rust.

Parts that aren't available.

Rust.

Parts that are only available as second rate knock offs.

More rust.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UeqH7iYBPneS8ZTUPG0yyZtglXkv4JaPrQ9HJ6rOiC2nczayaRd4FzX47c4D5D0r