barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/5/20 2:13 p.m.

This is your chance to own a seriously questionable half finished racecar!

Well, more than half finished really. Build thread here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-fickle-motorist-who-wants-a-weekend-warrior/137542/page3/

what it is:

1979 Ford thunderbird. Chopped, lowered and shortened. Chevy 400 (we may swap a 350 in though, both run), saginaw 4 speed. 9" rear. More details in the build thread. We were building it for the 2020 challenge and registration issues prevented us from taking it to Florida. Some big issues crept up in my personal situation and my dad and I have decided to offer it to someone else to finish. The car does run and drive, and has new front brakes and bearings. No glass, though I do have a sheet of polycarbonate if you're interested. Electrical could be tidied up. 

Located in St. George UT. We're in the car a little over $1000 all told, so that's where I'll start the bidding, though of course we're open to reasonable offers. Call or text 435 sixthreetwo 5958. 

Wheels pictured are not included, it will have the stock 15" steel wheels. 

Id really like to see this car make it to the challenge. And I'm in no real hurry to see it go necessarily. If you think you can make it happen but just need time, that's ok. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/5/20 2:34 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

“and shortened Chevy 400”

How do ya a shortened sbc? (Just ignore me!)

i would love to have it, and have different engine/trans. plans, so I’m sure we could agree on a price, but have no clue how to get it all the way to Lower Alabam’!!!

i just texted a guy I know would do it, but even his fuel prolly cost too much! I’m just a glutton for punishment!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/5/20 11:10 p.m.

I found something today that would be cool with a SBC/saginaw combo.  Might be willing to go in for the drivetrain parts.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/5/20 11:24 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

You scare me sometimes...

well, more than sometimes you enabler!

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/5/20 11:31 p.m.

I'll get some more pictures, but off the top of my head here are some of what's in there or included:

mini spool

jegs bucket seats

RCI 5 point harnesses

new u-joints

more stuff I can't remember. 

Also available are a couple different intakes, 062 vortec heads, and yet more things I can't remember. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/5/20 11:34 p.m.

Also I'd like to point out how close the car is to race ready. Very possible for someone on the west coast to pick it up on the way and finish it in a parking lot mash. Sweet success or sweet failure! 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/5/20 11:40 p.m.

Lot of potential here. I love the look with those Mustang wheels as well.  Surprising how good they work.

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/6/20 12:42 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I always liked them. But these particular wheels are destined for a repaint and life under my new grandma-quis. Possibly with gold paint. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
11/10/20 1:18 p.m.

Honest question for you Shawn; could someone cannonball this to Nebraska if they bought it? Like, do you think everythings working well enough for it to make the trip?

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/10/20 3:30 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Hard to say. I think so, but it is still pretty untested. The engine is the big question. It came from a dormant van. It fires up and there wasn't anything scary in the pan, but you never know. We haven't had an oil gauge hooked up. 
The lighting still needs work, low beams are great, but the brake and turn lights need a little sorting. Tires need replaced. The windshield is a sheet of polycarbonate that is still in the box and there are no wipers. The exhaust is open and may attract unwanted attention. It probably could use a solid day or two to get it road ready. Then there's the title issue. I have the original title, but it's not in my name. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/16/20 1:01 p.m.

Also open to ideas. Parts. Powertrain. The car is for sale, but all the parts in it are for sale too. 

sbc 400, runs well, new wp, cap/rotor/plugs/wires, new flywheel

saginaw 4 speed

seats

harnesses

9" axle

big brass radiator 

big electric fan

Rolling car carcass.

open to ideas and offers. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/16/20 9:11 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

9" axle

Rolling car carcass.

open to ideas and offers.

I would have thought the 79 would still have had a 9" from the factory. What did it have?

Idea... finish it for next years race. sell it to me afterwards. We pull the 400/trans, and send ya home. Not sure the engine will fit in your carryon, though...

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/16/20 9:26 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

The car has a 9". May part it out though. As for next year, it's just not in the cards. Neither of us can commit the time this year. Too many other projects that have been waiting. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/16/20 9:29 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I know, just wishful thinkin'! I want to make a shooting break... (or is it brake? I'm not british.)

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/7/20 11:39 a.m.

I finally added up all our receipts. 

Some thoughts, 

Dad may want to keep the engine/trans. He's a Chevy guy and doesn't think he could replicate that package again for anywhere near the same money. it's like we have X invested, but if I saw the same thing listed for 3X I'd buy it. Makes things hard to sell. 
The car would be almost worthless to anyone who doesn't intend to take it to Gainesville. So trying to sell it locally without the powertrain is a game of luck. Dad says the 9" is worth some money, I'm not sure. 

Soon Im going to list the car locally for what I have in it. If it doesn't sell for that, I'll list it locally for parts. If that doesn't work, I don't know. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ClyVzNfOSH3RF4omedXh6GEjBYmcHubiFZQWPZuJjmikEiQB1Asiwg6X6NMYsVIM