Mental
Mental Mod Squad
5/14/19 3:02 p.m.

This post from May 2019

OK, So I got this thing from Stampie a little time back. Its the same one Joe Gearin bought on Chicago Craigslist and drove back to Florida. It sat for a while in Chicago, then sat for a while in FL, then sat for a while in FL, then I got it and actually did some work to it. 

Before we go any deeper, no you cannot drive it. You will need to trailer it. No you can't come here, get it running and it will be OK. You will need to trailer it. Yes, it will roll onto a trailer. 

Having said that, it actually runs, kind of...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtSBUDplrdD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

By the time it got here, the gas tank had rusted through, and the lines were clogged as well. So I got it to run off the bottle demonstrated above, and Klayfish found me a viable used tank in Idaho. I also installed (badly but safely) new hard fuel lines. In theory, it should run. But everything is taken longer than I expected, even by GRM standards, and I am moving, like this Monday, May 20.  So I need it gone by Sunday, May 19. 

But before that, I need a commitment, otherwise, its getting donated Thursday, May 16. Email is best eveilmental at gmail dot com.

Got a buddy local to Atl that can hold it for you? That's cool. I need that handled by Thursday as well, my tow pig is being sold to Sonic, he gets here Friday before lunch.

Having said all of that; it's a neat little car. 1981 Plymouth Twin Stick. This one is a deluxe model with the tweed interior and rear wiper. Interior is not bad at all and I did vacuum out all the leaves, rust flakes, petrified lizards, bug carcasses and snake skeleton (yep)

It is RUSTY! I mean rusty! The front hood really won't stay on because it's that bad. The passenger footwell and frame rail need attention before it's driven regularly. The rear is kinda bad. I pulled the bumpers but still have them. The cooling system is out of it but complete, it doesn't have an exhaust on it but has most of the parts (including a cherry bomb but not a muffler). The rear towers are OK, the fronts both have some holes. I pulled the AC system off it because it was in the way of working on the fuel system. Its mostly gone, the compressor was like 50 lbs so I pitched it.

As it sits now. The wheels and tires are in the back.

Pictures from better days

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/14/19 3:42 p.m.

Anyone going to Atlanta?

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
5/14/19 4:01 p.m.

I just said it earlier this week, they're always in Atlanta.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
5/14/19 4:10 p.m.

Asleepatthewheel  Leslie b may want it

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
5/14/19 4:26 p.m.

Ok i need someone to pick this up and bring it within 200 miles of Indy and sit on it for a year.....  either that or trade me it for a 1989 dodge daytona roller lol.

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
5/14/19 4:30 p.m.

Step 1. Fly in,

Step 2. Rent U Haul, drive home

Step 3 - ?

Step 4 - profit

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
5/14/19 4:32 p.m.
Mental said:

Step 1. Fly in,

Step 2. Rent U Haul, drive home

Step 3 - ?

Step 4 - profit

More like

Call into work

Drive down

Drive back

Find stuff on lawn and the lock changed

??

No Profit.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
5/14/19 4:33 p.m.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/14/19 5:48 p.m.

IF you happen to be within a few miles of I-81 north and you want to pay for a trailer rental and some gas and can really really try to not delay my trip home, I might be convinced to drag this thing as far north as PA.  I need to be home Saturday night. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/14/19 6:10 p.m.

I think I hate myself because for some reason I want it back. Lil Stampie still ask about it. I'm still sorry for laughing at the rust falling off as Mental loaded it. But it was funny.  If donated I bid $10 on the keyflob. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
5/14/19 6:29 p.m.
Stampie said:

I think I hate myself because for some reason I want it back. Lil Stampie still ask about it. I'm still sorry for laughing at the rust falling off as Mental loaded it. But it was funny.  If donated I bid $10 on the keyflob. 

Keyfob isn't mine. I met a woman on Martha's Vineyard a year or so ago who has what was a really clean until recently Plymouth Champ. It was involved in a collision recently, and she's trying to get it fixed. Last week I ran into her and she showed me this key fob that the original owner recently found and gave to her. I wanted to buy it for a friend of mine, but she wasn't interested in selling it. I had to get pics though. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/14/19 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

It's cool. I have a desire to hit eBay and look for one now. 

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
5/14/19 7:13 p.m.

and just like that, GRM comes through! Both vehicles have found a new home. You guys are awesome, and my wife now finally believes I am not the only sucker out there with a soft spot for odd cars

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
5/14/19 7:44 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Mazdax605 :

It's cool. I have a desire to hit eBay and look for one now. 

Already did, no results 

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en Reader
5/15/19 7:29 a.m.

Damn, I wanted it. 

ChicagoChamp
ChicagoChamp New Reader
10/26/20 3:59 a.m.

In reply to Mental :

Would love to know about the whereabouts of my old champ..I was the original Chicago owner lol. Sold it to Joe. Hopefully it didn't end up crushed

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/26/20 5:45 a.m.

The want is unreal, to bad it's so far. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/26/20 11:22 a.m.
ChicagoChamp said:

In reply to Mental :

Would love to know about the whereabouts of my old champ..I was the original Chicago owner lol. Sold it to Joe. Hopefully it didn't end up crushed

In case Mental doesn't respond to you PM me.  I think I know where it is.  I'd have to get the new owner's permission of course to give away that info.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/26/20 11:45 a.m.
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/26/20 12:24 p.m.

Nice but I think that's more than I paid for the car. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/26/20 12:32 p.m.

I checked and the Champ has changed hands again but still close to the GRM family. It is running and parts are being gathered for a 4g32bt swap. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PE4VVcJe4WGFiardhByVGiMY6tk2Fm898EEKIaTPBqxEQbdfG7uRII6eOEYVCAS2