thestig99
thestig99 Dork
5/13/19 7:30 p.m.

1989 Mercedes Benz 300SE. W126 chassic, short wheelbase, 3.0L inline 6, 160k miles.  Retirement Gold over Beige. 

Located in Central Vermont.

Love this car... but, y'know, priorities. If I didn't need to pay for a new  DD now I'd find a place to park it for a couple years and come back to it.

$1,500? *OBO*Not interested in trades (maybe fun parts for an NA Miata or 3rd gen 4Runner)

Good stuff:

- Very, very clean car. Went from CA > WA > TN before arriving in VT in 2014. As far as I can tell the PO put about 150 miles on it before it got parked due to a medical event. Underside is pretty much spotless, body is straight and clean, interior is very good. 

- Runs and drives beautifully. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, no noises, no drama. Really remarkable for its age.

Not so good stuff:

- Lets start with the big one: Chocolate milkshake goop in the coolant reservoir sad just found this the other night and simply don't have the bandwidth to take it on. (Edit: the oil in the crankcase is clean)

- Paint is cooked on the hood, roof, and trunk (but looks good on the sides)

The car issuch a worthy project. I'll let the pictures do the talking. I am happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability. 

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
5/13/19 7:45 p.m.

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
5/15/19 7:06 a.m.

Also if anyone has suggestions on other places to advertise this car, I'd be happy to hear them. 

Campbelljj
Campbelljj New Reader
5/27/19 7:13 a.m.

Bump for a nice w126. 

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
6/2/19 10:14 a.m.

Am I way out of line on this one? Cant I get $1,000? Should I just find a place to park it and keep the thing? 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/2/19 10:24 a.m.

That thing should move quickly at your asking price, it seems people are back to just taking a loan and buying a new Kia though.

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
6/12/19 7:49 a.m.

Bump. I'm moving and would love to take one less car with me. 

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
7/5/19 8:11 p.m.

Bump. Anyone want to make an offer? 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
7/6/19 7:30 a.m.

I looooove these. I'd think the cooling system problems are scaring people away? Personally I HATE cooling work because it's messy. Also, have you considered offering to trailer it somewhere? Rural cars that don't run turn into barn finds....

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
7/6/19 7:53 a.m.

That'd be my assumption - hell, that's what's scaring me away laugh

The car still runs beautifully, you would have no idea theres an issue. I drive it "around the block" once a week or so to keep it moving. 

I dont have a truck or trailer, but I could easily arrange shipping the car to any Manheim auction location in the Northeast... 

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
7/12/19 8:37 p.m.

Felt frisky and commuted with the W126 for the past couple days - a nice reminder that this car actually rules. 

Last call before I just keep it. 

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
7/13/19 6:00 a.m.

Just keep changing the coolant regularly (Merc coolant) and you can nurse a head gasket issue like that for a long time- ie. tens of thousands of miles.

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
8/4/19 9:50 a.m.

Welp. 

Early last week some POS stole the cat off this car. Late last week I lost my job and, with it, my extra car storage. 

The W126 needs to go. GRM price is now $600, come and get it. I hope to get the exhaust reconnected so the car is drivable but it is currently rather noisy. 

I repeat, price drop: $600. 

TJL
TJL Reader
8/4/19 10:15 a.m.

Sweet deal. Ive been led to believe any older car that wasnt ate with rust up north was pretty valuable.  I figured some yo-stance-life kids would be begging to buy this. 

And people really steal cats?  How much is an cat worth? I have heard they are worth $$ but also have seen them tossed because they were worthless. Older cats maybe?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/4/19 10:51 a.m.

In reply to TJL :

All cats bring $$ at the scrap yard. They get stolen from anything with enough ground clearance for a meth head and a cordless sawzall to squeeze under when street parked in my neighborhood. Surprised they went for this one though.

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
8/4/19 4:53 p.m.

In a well lit lot, in a nice area next to a busy road, full of cars ranging from lowered BMWs to lifted Jeeps on 35s... they got this and a Honda Element. Pretty odd. 

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
8/4/19 5:38 p.m.

Rats, too far or I'd grab this in a heartbeat. Bump

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
8/7/19 8:09 p.m.

And it's gone. frown

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
luoAxcI7QqwE2k6GkHXMbcqn2jZhKZtN5Y5rBrMY8uZfhsFTL2DkafWSaOJibUdU