Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
12/30/13 10:43 p.m.

Hello all. This is my first post and I have been a fan of grassroots motorsports magazine back in the day. It was 24 years ago and 1 day- December 31st, 1990 that I purchased my first car from Honda of Newton Centre in MA- a red 1991 Honda Civic Si. I promised myself that 10 years later I would begin to modify my Civic starting with the suspension and that all the upgrades would be tasteful and serve a real purpose- which was to make my Si simply perform better while keeping her looking as clean as possible.

Fast forward 24 years later and I got only as far as a complete suspension upgrade. Some downgrades, and quite a bit of restoration work.

My Civic SI has served me well after 217,000 miles as a second car. Three cars later I have decided to sell my first car as I recently purchased an FRS and I have 2 VW's that I have to maintain.

The car is in pretty damn good shape. Mechanically the suspension has been completely rebuilt. Last year I had a mechanic who worked at Toyota change out all every single bushing in the suspension and reinstall with a complete pic performance PIC/Suja 1 Motoring Hard Rubber Bushing (HRB) Kit. (The good stuff :)) Also I purchased last year 2 OEM Honda trailing arm rubber bushings and had those replaced as well. These are the reinforced bushings Honda created for these models I think some time in early 2000 as the original design was known to fail at a faster rate. I think they are the same bushings sold by Mugen.

Around 1997 I upgraded the suspension with complete Suspensions Techniques front and rear anti-roll bar. A neuspeed front upper strut tower rod, a rear upper strut tower rod, and a neuspeed rear lower strut rod. When I purchased the PIC/Suja bushings I purchased a stock 91 front anti-roll bar and replaced the Suspension Techniques front anti-roll bar with the stock one (for more balanced handling) but utilized the pic performance bushings in the OEM Honda anti-roll bar. The rear roll bar remains the 22mm ST bar but I replace the rear endlinks last year as well.

The shock absorbers are Koni KYB/AGX (Reds) adjustable about 10 or 11 years old, but holding up very well. I used to have eibach pro-line springs on the car but changed them back to new stock springs when I got married. ( I don't know why I threw them out, but when I built my new home I didn't want clutter- oh well and shucks). Needless to say the car rode like it was on rails and that was a decade before replaced the bushings. I also used to have a stainless steel Thermal Research Exhaust from cat back but replaced that as well back to stock when I got married as well. I replaced the pipes from the cat back to the muffler about 2 years ago, the stock muffler is still in fine shape. I kept the Thermal Research Exhaust and will throw that in as well for free. If you have ever heard this exhaust it is sweet and deep but purrs like a kitten at rest. It has some reverse baffle technology, or something like that, that keeps it quiet.

Restoration wise, the car has been repainted with the original OEM color and clear coated but looks fantastic. There was some rust in the left and right rocker panels that have been repaired, but they are not perfect in my mind, but can easily be replaced. There was mild rust on left rocker panel that required a small section of the floor board to be fiberglassed. I can't tell where the repair was made, but needless to say the chassis is solid. There is mild rust over the brake light areas that can also be rectified easily. The car had new engine mounts and a new transmission mount put in last year. The rear metal bumper stabilizer bar was rusted and was replaced by my mechanic last year as well. There is a new hood that was in fabulous shape and blends in flawlessly with the rio red that was replaced last year and give the car an even cleaner look. The timing belt, water pump, and clutch plate were replaced at least 5 years ago or earlier. The air conditioning is working and the last time I used it was ice cold. I believe there is a small leak in the system but if you evacuate it and reacharge it every 2-3 years it will run very well.

The interior is not bad for a 24 year old car. The usual suspects are there. The driver's side seat bolster is worn out. I have replaced the damn glove box THREE times and after the last one broke again, I gave up. I have the box, but I keep it in the trunk. The sunroof works. Not much to brag about here, but not much to cry about either.

The engine is stock and pulls fine. Burns a little oil as any 24 year old car would but it is still strong and times I swear it runs the same as the day I bought it, but time has a way of confusing one's memory, so let's just say it runs great. I replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and ignition wires (supposedly surpasses OEM quality- I'm anal) last month before my brother told me about the Scion FRS over Thanksgiving dinner.

So my vision for this car 24 years ago was to improve the suspension using hard rubber bushings, beefed up suspension components while maintaining a balanced comfortable but "tight" handling. There are no stickers, clear corner lights, weird sounding mufflers on this car. It looks like a stock 1991Civic Si. I had planned to either replace the motor with a B16 or rebuild the original motor with oversized pistons. I never got to this step as my business took off and I don't have time for such a neat hobby. I purchased 4 genuine oversized Honda pistons and rings in 2004, but never installed them. I also have most of the gaskets for a complete rebuild ( I bought the package from Honda in my travels to Southeast Asia), and I'll throw those in as well. I also have an unopened Eibach camber correction kit for this car that never got installed as I removed my Konig Monsoons and went stock when I got married. I even have an original Thule bike rack that goes with this car that is in mint condition (pretty cool looking) as it mounts to the rear bumper and hatch door that I will throw in as well.

So bottom-line I have a never abused "original owner" close to stock, reconditioned red 1991 Honda Civic Si with a completely rebuilt suspension using a complete pic performance suja hard rubber bushing set, and new Honda "Mugen" trailing arm bushings, a complete 3 piece neuspeed tower strut bars, a rear 22mm suspension techniques rear sway bar, strong engine with only mild oil consumption (no blue smoke out the tail pipe etc...). Reconditioned/fiberglassed chassis wherever worrisome rust may have accumulated. Air conditioining works. I'm throwing in 4 new Honda OEM oversized pistons and rings, a stainless steel Thermal Research Exhaust with a gorgeous "quiet" deep tone, a Thule Bike Rack, a genuine Honda gasket set for a rebuild, and freshly tuned motor... The car's suspension, engine, and transmission all work like a dream and this is a much better driving experience since I replaced all the bushings with new high end rubber bushings last year. This was a car being reconditioned for a true grassroot motorsports fan.

I'm offering this car at what I think is a fantastic deal for $2700. Cash or credit card only. If you are under 19 years of age, I would prefer if you came with a parent to purchase. I don't know how to provide pictures but I can email some for you if you are interested. My dream would be for the editors of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine to swoop in and take this car and do a proper engine rebuild and write about it. If not, my dream for the next owner would be to replace the stock springs with Eibach Pro-line springs, do the complete engine rebuild with the parts I supply or replace the engine with a B16, do a little paint conditioning over the small rust spots and BE DONE WITH IT then take a picture of your new ride and post it here. That's all the car needs and you have a world beater in your garage. I "think" I would be able to sell this car for at least $1500 more with all the work that was done to it and all the stuff I'm throwing in, but I want to move it sooner than later before I change my mind. You're buying this car not only for how great it looks on the outside, but more importantly for the quality work that was done on the chassis and suspension. Yes, you can try to haggle with me on the price and fail or you can be the first in line a leave with a pretty damn good car. I imagine this car "should" move fast, so make your decision soon. If I don't get back to you as quick as you like it is because I am a busy guy with a busy work life, so please be patient and watch this thread to see if it was sold. I live in the Tampa region.

Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
12/30/13 10:49 p.m.

Let's see if this image works. This picture was taken last summer.

[URL=http://s325.photobucket.com/user/andykallur/media/photo-2.jpg.html][/URL]

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/31/13 8:52 a.m.

Wonderful car man glws

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
1/4/14 3:38 p.m.

I was just down in Florida looking for a car. I headed home the day you posted this.

Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
1/6/14 2:35 p.m.

Sorry man. She's still here if you're interested. In reply to bravenrace:

Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
1/17/14 10:15 a.m.

Price lowered to $2700.

Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
1/28/14 8:32 p.m.

Price lowered $2100.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
1/28/14 11:32 p.m.

That year still tugs at my heart strings. Glws.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/29/14 8:17 a.m.

Man thats an attractive deal...If I werent in the market for a sedan, Id probably be looking into one-way red-eye flights to Florida and figuring out how much gas it would take to get me back to Ohio.

GLWS, free bump

Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
1/29/14 1:30 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Man thats an attractive deal...If I werent in the market for a sedan, Id probably be looking into one-way red-eye flights to Florida and figuring out how much gas it would take to get me back to Ohio. GLWS, free bump

Thanks, I'm offering a discount this week to $1991 for the entire shebang.

ashplub
ashplub
1/30/14 7:13 p.m.

Oldschool,

I am really interested in the car and I would like to speak to you about it. I have lurked here for a few months. I joined this forum today to get in touch with you but I can't message since I am new. Can you message me with your contact info if its still available? Cash in hand in Jacksonville.

ashplub
ashplub New Reader
1/31/14 7:06 a.m.

I just realized you are new also... adamstephen@hotmail.com

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
2/4/14 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Oldschoolguy:

How in the hell is this thing still around to tempt me! Pls email me your contact info at gerardaiken at gmail dot com so I can call to discuss a deal. I will be in the Sarasota area in March and can arrange a pickup if we come to a deal.

Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
2/8/14 12:28 p.m.
axeman_g wrote: In reply to Oldschoolguy: How in the hell is this thing still around to tempt me! Pls email me your contact info at gerardaiken at gmail dot com so I can call to discuss a deal. I will be in the Sarasota area in March and can arrange a pickup if we come to a deal.

Contact info sent. I have no idea why I haven't been able to move this car. Not a single soul has seen the car in person, but I get PMs all the time from people who say they are interested and then I don't seem to get anywhere. They email me saying they want the car cash in hand, and to hold it for them, then they never get around to actually looking at the car, nor do they return my emails. That's the silliest thing I've ever experienced. Courtesy goes a long way. Maybe it's just the timing of the sale. Oh well. I don't know. Here's some more pics of the car.

[URL=http://s325.photobucket.com/user/andykallur/media/photo6.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s325.photobucket.com/user/andykallur/media/7b8e5090-7a3b-45e2-8a6e-cfc587b28f3e.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s325.photobucket.com/user/andykallur/media/photo1.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s325.photobucket.com/user/andykallur/media/photo3.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s325.photobucket.com/user/andykallur/media/photo4.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s325.photobucket.com/user/andykallur/media/photo11.jpg.html][/URL]

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
2/8/14 1:51 p.m.

Honest answer is I don't have the extra money to spend or I really would love to have it, I know that doesn't help at all.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
2/8/14 10:34 p.m.

Interested! Send me an email at mitchellclifton @ gmail dot com. I live in Orlando.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
2/12/14 12:15 a.m.

I stopped by to look at the Civic tonight. Perhaps it was the surprisingly long and surprisingly cold ride over there, but I decided on the way over that having another two-door, four cylinder hatchback was a bit redundant for my needs. Naturally, checked it out anyway.

Condition is pretty much exactly as described in the OP's post. Aesthetically, it showed some rust as described above. However, the paint looked to be in good condition, and the interior looked to be in good shape, with a few small tears in the driver's seat.

It started right up, ran smoothly, and all the switches and such that I used functioned as they should. From what I could tell, the clutch grabbed as it should have. Where it really shined was how well screwed-together it felt. I didn't hear a single rattle when driving. The suspension did feel right, without being jarring.

This car would be perfect for someone that wanted an affordable, turnkey autocrosser.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
2/12/14 2:16 a.m.

One of the greatest fwd hathbacks ever built.

RyanSpeaks
RyanSpeaks New Reader
2/14/14 7:11 p.m.

(strange question, I know) Who is the tallest person who has sat in or driven the car? I'm in the market for a daily driver but I'm 6' 5" 290lbs...I fit in a MINI and Fiesta but have no idea about older Civics? r s p e a k s at c f l do t r r dot com

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
2/14/14 7:27 p.m.

I'm 6'2" … and I fit fine in my older Civics .. just not so great in my '01 Integra (sun roof) or the CRX (again … sun roof) … but at least in it I've mounted the seat directly to the floor pan

HunterJP
HunterJP HalfDork
2/16/14 8:53 p.m.

Is this still available?

Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
2/17/14 10:25 a.m.

In reply to HunterJP:

The car is still available, but I have another potential buyer who wants to look at the car first and may purchase it. If you are interested please leave me some contact info. In the end it will be first come first serve though, whoever pays up first gets the car, because I can't hold this car and potentially lose a legitimate buyer.

Thanks

Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
2/17/14 10:26 a.m.
Mitchell wrote: I stopped by to look at the Civic tonight. Perhaps it was the surprisingly long and surprisingly cold ride over there, but I decided on the way over that having another two-door, four cylinder hatchback was a bit redundant for my needs. Naturally, checked it out anyway. Condition is pretty much exactly as described in the OP's post. Aesthetically, it showed some rust as described above. However, the paint looked to be in good condition, and the interior looked to be in good shape, with a few small tears in the driver's seat. It started right up, ran smoothly, and all the switches and such that I used functioned as they should. From what I could tell, the clutch grabbed as it should have. Where it really shined was how well screwed-together it felt. I didn't hear a single rattle when driving. The suspension did feel right, without being jarring. This car would be perfect for someone that wanted an affordable, turnkey autocrosser.

Thanks Mitchell for the review. John

mapper
mapper Reader
2/17/14 12:17 p.m.

Interested if your other potential sale doesn't go through. Let me know on this forum or email me at "sgwoerner at gmail dot com".

Oldschoolguy
Oldschoolguy New Reader
3/1/14 12:29 p.m.

Car sold for asking price. Thank you all who were interested and good luck with your sales.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nZCgSCGDCwUeZ4TWpopCeamAzkx3f8a2fzCZjzIwAmFbJbrN4xi0fHXfBhi1YjuM