I love 1st gen Rang Rovers. This is a 92 LWB

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 9:13 a.m.

It's essentially a free TJ. You're buying my parts expense

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/20/24 9:50 a.m.

it's a free pile of parts that will require a huge amount of sweat equity to turn into a usable TJ...

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 10:09 a.m.

In reply to budget_bandit :

It's called a tub swap

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Dork
8/20/24 1:12 p.m.
Docwemple said:

It's called a tub swap

Friend, you're the one that asked for the feedback. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/20/24 1:15 p.m.
Docwemple said:

Did the pics scare people off?

yes

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 1:28 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/20/24 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Docwemple :

please don't mistake my disagreement for lack of knowledge. I know what a tub swap means, you aren't the only one.

I also know that a "tub swap" and "essentially a free TJ" are not the same thing.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 3:26 p.m.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/20/24 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Docwemple :

EDIT: I regret what i originally wrote here and I apologize. I should be able to take an insult without escalating, and I didn't here. Mea culpa

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 3:53 p.m.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/20/24 3:56 p.m.

That response isn't necessary.  The seller is one of us and is trying to move along some stalled projects.  If you're not interested, just move along.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/20/24 3:57 p.m.

I've owned approaching 20 Jeeps, from a CJ-2a to MJs, CJs, SJs, ZJs, WJs, XJs, YJs, I think a TJ or two. I have done tub swaps, frame swaps, powertrain swaps, etc. 
I'm only saying this because you inferred that budget_bandit didn't know what it was because he didn't expressly say he knew what a tub swap was.  

I'm only providing the feedback you hinted at wanting. Don't shoot the messenger.  

$1500 would get me that jeep and what I see in the pics. I'd assume the radiator, heater core, and water pump are probably plugged with bugs, dirt, pine needles and so forth because they weren't stored sealed. So add a few hundred to what's spelled out as needs in the add. I'd also assume many hours and hundreds more for missing hardware and brackets. Frame repair and a new tub. 

If I were buying that, I'd be buying it as a VIN swap for a few hundred to put another Jeep on the road that needed a VIN for some reason. For the amount of time locating missing parts, and the amount of gas running to the hardware store, NAPA, dealership, etc I could have a rust-free TJ shipped from down south and probably be under $6K all in. that's about the same as the price of a TJ tub (depending on lots of factors) and hardware kit.  

I'm not trying to insult you. I've bought and sold abandoned projects before. I hope you get the $1,500. Heck, I hope somone gives you $1,500 and a case of your favorite beer. But you're looking for a very specialized buyer. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/20/24 5:03 p.m.
Docwemple said:

Dude. I get it. You're a jackass. Move on.

As respectfully as possible, you dont come off too polite in this thread either.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 5:05 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/20/24 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Docwemple :

Friend, the parts still have pine needles over half of them.  There is little to no organization or easy method to verify the few things you say are missing are all thats missing.

Until those things, and more, were sorted, I'd also probably call it a pile of parts.

On a completely separate note, no buyer wants to deal with a seller that is getting argumentative and "blunt" with another person in public.

With that, I'll bow out.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 5:16 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Dr. Boost. A replacement tub is included. Mechanically rock solid. New heater core (as mentioned) new lift springs. Upgraded shocks. Puck body lift. Both soft and hard upper doors.  And on and on. I thought I made that stuff clear. Frame isn't perfect but is a cap special either. 17" wheels on adapters. New header (installed). Before I started this it had a full service.  All tune up, fluids and filters. This was, at least a $1500 TJ prior to the tear down.  Then add tub $600, fronrlt fenders $200, suspension $400, upper doors $200, header $150, wheels $250, heater core $50, adapters $125, and on and on. Jeep stuff isn't Land Rover pricey, but not cheap either. The adapters,  for example are spider. I also said it needs the radiator, windshield (my bad) and ps reservoir  (again my bad but they're ~$20).

So, I'm wrong. I'm upside-down around $500. So you're getting the TJ for -$500, not free. 

Any rate, I'm not forcing this on anyone.  Just thought it'd be a good project for a Jeep fan. 

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
8/20/24 5:41 p.m.

I don't like wading into classified post slapping matches, and have been avoiding this one.  A man's price is his price.  I don't believe in telling someone their price is wrong or negotiating in a classified thread.  It's in poor taste.

Docwemple said:

In reply to DrBoost :

Frame isn't perfect but is a cap special either.

But false information is another thing entirely.   That frame is shot.  

8/20/24 5:45 p.m.

I currently have a '99 Sahara trim TJ with a decent body. hard top and full doors and far nicer frame than this that I am considering parting out because of frame rust.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 5:52 p.m.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 5:55 p.m.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 5:56 p.m.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
8/20/24 6:05 p.m.

8/20/24 6:22 p.m.

I have been building Jeeps since 1993.  I have built numerous Jeeps for myself and others.   My avatar is me wheeling my personal 2002 Wrangler X that I built in 2003 on Q78 15 Swampers (35.5x10.5") with custom beadlocks that I made myself.   I have seen many different versions of frame caps.  I have seen hundreds of Jeeps with rusty frames.   Dozens of TJs with rusty frames.  The problem is, once the frame starts to rust out in one place, it then blows out in another 4 or 5 places after that.  Frame caps are just band aids for a frame that is already compromised.    The only fix is a new frame.

It doesn't matter who cut the square holes in the front frame horns, the reason it was done is because your frame is rotted out.   

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/20/24 10:59 p.m.
Docwemple said:

Dude. I get it. You're a jackass. Move on.

This from someone who asks how to block other members. Good stuff.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t6yFNbQZmZah2ZCFEMmt3uEvuXhPfsqRPZiHcqBGLUWkcoo6zPRowDiXEhHMKsI3