914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/27/20 8:50 a.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/27/20 9:12 a.m.

These things look like they would be stupid fun. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/28/20 5:51 p.m.

If that is internally as similar to an Adams Aero as it is on the outside it will contain a relatively large driver, as in 6' tall plus.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/28/20 6:11 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

These things look like they would be stupid fun. 

I came across some videos of FV at Hallett when I was prepping for a weekend DE. THAT is the racing that I'd like to do... If I had the time to commit to it, I would be all over a deal like that.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/28/20 6:45 p.m.

The racing is tight most of the time. Those guys in the Vid I think have been racing FV for decades. I know at least for as long as I worked SWDIV races. 

The only down side is you are the slowest thing on the track so a lot of getting passed. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/28/20 6:59 p.m.

Doesn't seem to be a bad starting price, but I would want to know how many races/hours are on the engine. Competitive FV engines aren't exactly cheap to rebuild.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/28/20 7:48 p.m.

$1k for the formula, $500 for the pit bike and $6500 for the trailer on the recipe.

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
4/28/20 11:21 p.m.

They are fun and are not the easiest car to drive. Swapping positions every lap with the car ahead or behind you is the norm. Once you invest in a good engine (which is not cheap) the cost of tires will get your attention more than the cost of engine upkeep - assuming you do the work yourself. Generally I replaced the bearings once a year (6 - 8 races)  - which was probably overkill - and honed the jugs when leakdown dropped. Keep the valves set, dont overheat the thing and keep enough oil in it and they are pretty reliable. I was always amazed the speed that 58 hp could generate as well as the g load possible on those skinny tires. And they were not the slowest class on the track - at least some years back.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/29/20 5:31 a.m.

I have a friend who used to be at the pointy end of the racing during the runnoffs every year. A guy with a truck and trailer taking on the guys who arrive in a transport trucks if you can picture it. Total Grassroots effort. The competition at this level is deadly serious and the car prep has to be perfect with the rules and tricks exploited past the nth degree. Not boring racing by any means.

When Greg stopped racing FV I stopped watching, so no idea how many cars still run; used to be a lot of them out there.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/29/20 7:03 a.m.

Front Drum Brakes (I think) You don't see that on many race cars.

CJT29N
CJT29N
5/14/20 12:56 p.m.

Where is the original link to this ad and seller?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/14/20 2:17 p.m.

In the red letters before the first picture.  It sold for $8,000.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/14/20 2:50 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Yep, and apparently they need tweaking after about every race.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UJvmR40SWFbBjRRKxSFiJxocElrDgZnu56lvkE67r9aVYuEzyPDrtiG2mqdkjGVc