schneiderj
schneiderj
12/21/08 8:23 p.m.

I have a 1970 MGB...in Roswell Georgia (Atlanta). The engine was never converted to use unleaded gas and needs to be rebuilt...like no compression on #2 cylinder. Can anyone lead me to a machine shop or other that could assist????

Thanks.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile New Reader
12/21/08 10:44 p.m.

Brother,

Thats no big deal. Any real machine shop can do the conversion. Just ask around and/or look in the yellow pages.

The MGB motor is wonderfully machine shop friendly. So dont sweat it.

If you have no compression it maybe NOT valve related. Pull the head and take a look. You'll have to do it anyway.

Leo

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
12/22/08 8:03 a.m.

I agree with Leo. Any machine shop that is competant should be able to work on an MGB engine.

Meanwhile, ~HERE~ is a link to repair shops in your area.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
12/22/08 9:08 a.m.

I would call the MG expert near you. While any good shop can machine it, assembly by someone who cares and who will make sure the measurements are good gives you added protection. Too often a machine shop will not do the best work if they are bolting it up for no one to see. And, in a low mileage driver, it might take a few years for problems to show up.

Cheers Ron

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
12/22/08 9:38 a.m.

Too often a machine shop will not do the best work if they are bolting it up for no one to see. And, in a low mileage driver, it might take a few years for problems to show up.

Try and take a manual down there for them and slip a $20 in it or buy some beer or sodas maybe a pizza for the guys .
bobpink
bobpink New Reader
12/22/08 11:59 p.m.

In reply to null:

Don't know if this is allowed or not, but call E. Radatz Motorsports over in the Kennesaw area. Eddie knows British cars very well and the MGB is his favorite. You can find him in the phone book or search online. He can get you headed in the right direction.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
12/23/08 7:56 a.m.

Didn't the GRM folks have their 240Z engine machined at a shop near Atlanta? They could handle it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YwvakW7ERIYAuzXRIBfHRPGXzETQoBZrzb0QkRNGMZCEedVOTMx92Y5aMXWxnDEf