the staff of Motorsport Marketing
the staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
9/10/15 2:34 p.m.

We admit that we sometimes take our faithful 1978 MGB for granted. After all, we’ve owned for nearly three decades. It was time to give it some attention, so we dropped its ride height to bring it closer to the original GT V8 specs.

We used a method that took just an hour at each end: Moss Motors l…

Read the rest of the story

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
10/28/15 4:35 p.m.

In my opinion, the only right way drop an RBB is to swap the x-member. Otherwise, I don't think you're really solving the problems.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/29/15 10:15 a.m.

For the rear, this is the answer:

It is affordable, bolts in and is height adjustable. MUCH better ride than stock. Validation of ride improvement is that wife would ride in car after the conversion while before it was a buckboard.

On the front, rather than do the front crossmember swap (harder than you think) I would go with a combination of drop spindle and slightly shorter spring.

MGBs with wide tires and ultra low stance look really great, but they are not at their best as far as the driving experience is concerned.

The ultimate would be to go with a front suspension from the same supplier as the rear 4 link:

Once again, a bolt in component that was designed to work with today's wheel/tire technology.

And just so y'all know that I amnot shilling for CCC, here is another front suspension alternative for those with a bit deeper pockets. Its from Fast Cars by Ted. Note the spify T-shirt in the picture.

In the back, fastcars prefers a 3 link approach that while far from "bolt in" is effective.

MGARuss
MGARuss New Reader
1/3/24 11:50 a.m.

Looks like you are giving up an inch of ground clearance in the rear to the bottoms of the springs.  Is that a noticable downside of this approach?

KenBradley
KenBradley
1/3/24 3:49 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

@NOHOME - who's kit are you referring to in your post?  Can you repost the pictures?. . . . they have since disappeared.  Thank you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cy9JRb7V0J5E9YtTi5Igv0KUlwQIwsB7fkupzFUFG4aRK8lj5POTV0S4ENbpa5nh