Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/26/18 1:08 p.m.

This story ran in an old issue of Classic Motorsports. Want to make sure you're reading all the latest stories? Subscribe now.

Story by Tim Suddard • Photos by Tim and Tom Suddard

Two Guys, a 45-Year-Old Sports Car and 3000 Miles to Home

“Absolutely crazy!” friends and family exclaimed. “Why would you do that? Isn’t that dangerous?” they asked, when we told them about our plan.

To us, our plan made perfect sense: We had just bought a good-looking, supposedly rust-free 1971 Alfa Romeo Spider via Bring a Trailer and needed to get it home. The kicker: The car was out in California, while we call Florida home.

Rather than call someone like Passport Transport or Reliable Carriers Inc., we figured that we’d add in an element of adventure: fly out, and drive back the 3000 miles in a car we had never laid eyes upon before.

What could possibly go wrong?

Read the rest of the story

Flyman615
Flyman615 New Reader
7/26/18 4:44 p.m.

Nice trip report. When I was younger, I did two similar--albeit shorter--solo trips to retrieve sports cars I had purchased sight unseen. In the mid 1980s it was 450 miles to Omaha, NE for a 1970 Datsun 2000 roadster and in 1998 600 miles to Minneaplois, MN for a 1973.5 Porsche 911T Targa. Both trips were fun and adventurous, but not nearly as exciting or unpredictable. I still have and drive both cars. Thanks for sharing!!

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
8/2/18 8:41 p.m.

Fantastic story!  Glad both of you made it back to Florida safe.

noddaz

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/4/18 2:56 p.m.

Glad you guys liked the story. Flyman615: weather makes a big difference when heading north, like you did.

glenninsandiego
glenninsandiego New Reader
8/8/18 2:20 a.m.

What a great article. I read it in the magazine and loved reading it again

I just got a 73 Alfa Spider as a project

Tim, do you still have the car?

Any tips on doing the restore, ie what parts needed special attention?

Thanks

Glenn

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/12/18 5:40 p.m.

Washout the tranny with min.spirits, drain repete, you can fill the tranny thru the shift lever use she'll spruce tranny oil

Some folks use red line

Take seats out of car,replace Phillips screws with buttontop Allen bolts, take outrug, padding , look for any rust, clean, clean rugs let dry 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy New Reader
11/12/18 5:50 p.m.

Take everything out of the trunk, clean spare tire well

Clean out the rust. It well be there,sand treat with vinger to clean rust. Paint with por15

After dry get 4 rubber blocks 13 mm tall 70 mm long c 25 mm wide. At 90 degrees  from each other , glue,silicon  these to the floor of the trunk

Let dry

This will have your spare tire off the floor of the trunk,and allow air to flow, so it will not rust again.

Our Preferred Partners
4olN6WbDLi8XvKMYvo2YljfbjOZgWQrL6z39LRn2uqFwNhaxM0LJLarsVfisRypa