1 2
BillBall
BillBall New Reader
3/4/15 5:30 a.m.

If you want to be around car people with a younger set go to an autocross or other performance event. Millennials and Gen Xers are much more social joiners than you suspect. But they want to do things, not just stand around and talk about what they used to do. Also you wont find many of them at single marque clubs for cars that went out of production decades ago, or that cost $50k+ used today.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/4/15 7:47 a.m.

With the invention of the internet I see 99% of the point of car clubs as having vanished. In the 80's when I started driving I joined 'The IMP Club' as I drove, modified and ruined a series of Hillman Imps in my youger days. Joining the club was the only way to find out about events, parts, information, get togethers etc. Now anything you want is 15 seconds of Googling away. The only point in even being a member of a car club these days is to get access to marque specific discounts or entry fees. Even the discounts are questionable in many cases as again Googling can find parts and HAggerty has the insurance thing pretty well sewn up.

In all honesty what does club membership give you these days? What's the point? Even for events. I've got cars and coffee 5 mins away. I sometimes go to Gilsen tool where the various Porsche guys meet up on Saturdays. That used to be for the Motor City 356 Gruppe, but has really turned into a general Porsche enthusiast meeting ground. There is the Woodward dream cruise and numerous informal GTG's. We've had a few SE Mi GRM meet ups, again, these were all things you used to need a club for 20-30 years ago. These days the GRM forum is my car club.

Until I start entering Motorsport events again, I see less than zero point in any club.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
3/4/15 8:07 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I've got cars and coffee 5 mins away. ... Woodward dream cruise and numerous informal GTG's. We've had a few SE Mi GRM meet ups...

Are you 5 minutes from Pasteiners? It sounds like we might be neighbors! In any case, I agree with you. Most information is available on the web and I have found I get more out of forums and gatherings I find that way than any club membership I've tried.

Adrian_Thompson
3/4/15 8:32 a.m.
WilD wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I've got cars and coffee 5 mins away. ... Woodward dream cruise and numerous informal GTG's. We've had a few SE Mi GRM meet ups...
Are you 5 minutes from Pasteiners? It sounds like we might be neighbors! In any case, I agree with you. Most information is available on the web and I have found I get more out of forums and gatherings I find that way than any club membership I've tried.

5 mins from Autozone on Woodward. I'm in Beverly Hills near off Beverly road (13 1/2 mile) and Southfield.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
3/4/15 10:24 a.m.

I'd take it even further and say as the generations of guys who get all misty eye'd at a these vintage muscle car or euro cars continue to die off, not only will the clubs continue to wither, so to will the prices of these cars. I suspect right now they have reached their peak. From here, all but the meticulously restored to OEM spec will continue to gain value. I have no desire for these 60-70's cars. Not that they aren't cool,but I know no one who is willing to shell out money for these vintage cars my age or younger. WTF is a carburetor anyway? My lawnmower uses one of those. Never mind, many have college debt and are struggling with normal bills. There's not much room or money for a sometimes running old car to sit in the garage. Online groups contain more information, faster, and still have some feeling of being part of something. Meets are generally to shoot the E36 M3, and hang out. Actual car talk is secondary.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/4/15 10:25 a.m.

So I guess by what I've gathered from you folks, is that younger crowd are more inclined to be involved with the online car community than to be a part of a physical club and they prefer the newer cars.

It makes sense. I just have been around classic cars and car clubs for so long that I sometimes forget about the online community and newer cars.

I agree with Adrian though, GRM is my car club. I hope to get together with a group of you guys some day.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
3/4/15 10:33 a.m.

I was in a Fiero club through the '90's, and was normally the youngest on there. ( was in my 20's). Most members were 50+. Autocrossing and any other performance type thing was unheard of. Bunch of waxers sadly, there were some very well build cars.

A local Vette club (which actually runs an autocross series)wouldn't let me see their rule book unless I was a member... needless to say i never joined or ran their series.

Adrian_Thompson
3/4/15 11:25 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: So I guess by what I've gathered from you folks, is that younger crowd are more inclined to be involved with the online car community than to be a part of a physical club and they prefer the newer cars.

Younger crowed hmm? Well if you still call 45 younger then hell yeah :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yARgsUsCShhA5PU0o2oymS1JQKoSkoYDkXZZHi83KDeMw1sR53eirSu6WS4QYmC1