Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
5/11/11 7:39 p.m.

Today I was working on an MGA, then a 7 clone with a X-flow.

The smell of the As engine reminded me of my Bs engine...but not at all like my TR 4, my BD powered Morgan, or even the aformentioned X-flow...totally not the same smell. But same oils and fuels.

I have also noticed that WV Bugs have a VERY distinct smell.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it my imagination?

Leo

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
5/11/11 8:54 p.m.

My garage had that affect on someone.

He said reminded him of his dad's mini.

Diff oil missed in with fuel.

Really got to stop the FIAT's diff from dripping and replace the Triumph's fuel pump.

;)

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/13/11 10:02 a.m.

Yes! As one gifted/afflicted with an extremely keen sense of smell, I know exactly what you're talking about. The horsehair stuffing in an old BMW lets me know, eyes closed and with just one whiff, that this is exactly what I'm sitting in.

And yes, old VWs do have a distinctive smell--it takes me back immediately to grade school and my neighbor's "second" family car... you remember, the Bugs, Vegas and B210s that came along once families acknowledged that another car was needed, but of course needed to be small and cheap because owning two cars was a little crazy?

Margie

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
5/13/11 9:34 p.m.

Good, I thought it was just me!

Leo

thesnibborddot
thesnibborddot New Reader
5/14/11 8:25 p.m.

Whenever I get a whiff of leaded fuel and leather, it takes me back to riding in my dad's 1966 big block Corvette roadster. Corvettes of this era had a certain smell too.

Raze
Raze Dork
5/16/11 8:26 a.m.

Cadillac leather is unique in smell, I really miss it, but not the car.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
5/16/11 8:38 a.m.

Both my first generation Jetta, and my son's much more recent example had a very noticible waxy aroma through their entire lives. My son said this was even mentioned but not explained on some on line VW discussion groups. Does anyone here know the source?

Stu

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/16/11 1:36 p.m.

A couple of years ago I was at the RM Auction in Monterey and they had a Dragonsnake Cobra up for sale. I put my head inside the window and took a deep whiff. It was fantastic! The leather, gas, oil, carpets, all had a unique smell that for me made the car so much more cool than a perfectly restored example. I love the way old cars can trigger memory and imagination with the way they smell.

Series6
Series6 Reader
5/16/11 8:54 p.m.

I always loved the smells at the track. Especially the smell of Castrol R.

When I was a kid in North Philadelphia, there was this gas station around the corner from the Cadillac dealership (Providence Cadillac) where the Hires root beer was always cold (Hey, I was 5!), the mechanics were always covered in grease, Rock and Roll was new, and the place smelled like gas. Leaded high octane gas......

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
5/17/11 9:59 a.m.

I was at our coffee car meeting and a 2 stroke Saab drove up. I grew up with 2 stroke bikes and the odor memories kicked in full time. Even a hot 2 stroke that is cooling off will take me somewhere.

Cheers Ron

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
5/17/11 9:51 p.m.

Sounds like its time for

Photobucket

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BlRIH9d8ysJpeJNdouzYD7KypNJup2oxvSsql1s3izXdmZji6Ov4YoeLg4rrId97