60mga
60mga New Reader
7/12/11 6:52 p.m.

So since having my MGA, I'm having thoughts of replacing the Miata (a '91 in really nice condition) with something a little more suited to highway trips. The reality is that I rarely get to drive the Miata the way it should be. Vancouver is so much more busy and crowded now that you have to get up pretty early on a weekend(which I do) to beat the traffic to have some fun. I find the MGA as much fun and at lower speeds. We drive to the interior(the Okanagan) quite often and although we enjoy the Miata once there where there are some great roads I can't help thinking that something a little less fatiguing on the highway would be nice. Requirements? -A soft top or targa -25 years old or older as I want to be able to put collector plates on it and save a lot of money on insurance. -can be purchased for similar money that I can get for the Miata and maybe a little more. Let's say 6 grand. -decent gas mileage. Not really interested in Mustangs or Camaros with V8's and I really don't like the styling. -no hi tech engineering like a Mercedes or Porsche that's going to break the bank when it breaks.

So have I basically answered my own question? A Miata and wait for it to become 25 years old to collector plate? What about an older BMW 325i convertible? Or a Toyota supra with a proper head gasket repair?

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
7/13/11 5:26 a.m.

TR8s are awesome highway cruisers. Very comfortable on long hauls. TVR 280is are are even more comfy, but they tend to get hot inside the cockpit because you sit so low. Almost no air circulates inside the car. My buddy use to joke that we could play cards on the center arm rest at highway speeds without any of the cards blowing away. They are so comfy in fact, that I fell asleep on morning driving home from a night shift in one and swiped a gaurd rail, in my first 280i. Tough to fall asleep in a TR8. They are just too much fun.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
7/13/11 5:39 a.m.

I guess it depends on your local weather. I have a nice '69 MGB and a 2000 Miata in the garage. Right now in New Jersey, we've been having very humid, 100F days, so I've been using the Miata more.....with the top up and the air-conditioning on. If it's an early morning or evening drive, the MGB gets used. The MG is great in the Fall or Spring.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/13/11 6:30 a.m.

I was thinking E30 convertible before you typed it. It will be a challenge to find one that isn't a slushbox, and they are just on the cusp of the 25 year rule. I think they are tremendous value for the dollar and extremely useful for every day use.

Most 1960s domestic convertibles (even non-V8 muscle car things like Chevy II's and Corvairs) are going to set you back at least 10 grand these days for a driver quality car.

None of the traditional 2 seaters (MGB, Fiat 124, Porsche 914) are going to be better highway cars than your Miata.

There were some Celicas converted to ragtops in the 1980s that I still see with some freqency. They weren't bad cars. Also consider T tops like the 300ZX if you're willing to take a targa roof.

Audi 90 convertibles are out there but I don't find them nearly as fun to drive as the BMW.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
7/13/11 8:17 a.m.

tr8todd nailed it. TR8's are very, very comfortable. I once spent 15 hours in one non-stop without any issues. It was much more comfortable than my E36 at the time, and far more than my Alfa Spider. For a 2 seater, it has to rank near the top for that usage.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
7/13/11 10:00 a.m.

Look at the later 1985 ish Alfas. They have longer wheel base for cruising and collector appeal. But, you said it. Your Miata is a great choice and any change to an older car will likely cost you more than any insurance value that you hope to save. My Miata does not cost me a lot for insurance since it is not a high usage car. Ron

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/13/11 10:24 a.m.

As David noted, finding a vintage American convertible in that price range is going to be a big challenge except for project cars, unless you want something like an early '80s Riviera.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/2483444108.html

I have seen a few exceptions - this Corvair might be perfect for what you need:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/2423108653.html

It's hard to find non-ratty ones, and my favorite body style is a couple years too new to get classic tags, but a Chrysler LeBaron Turbo might fit the bill. Mechanically simple, and they'll cruise all day on the freeway. I got mpg in the 30s with my '89 coupe.

Not sure how you'd feel about a VW Rabbit on the highway, but Cabrio versions of them turn up sometimes in your price range.

I just skipped the classic plates and went for a BMW E36 convertible myself.

Dave_Jorgensen
Dave_Jorgensen New Reader
7/13/11 11:30 a.m.

What about a Civic Del Sol Si? 160 HP, a little soft, but that can be cured in a day. The hard roof makes it quiet and comfortable for drives across the Okanagan Connector, then once you get to Peachland you pull the targa top and blast to Naramata. 60MGA, I'll be waiting at the top of the Naramata bench with a glass of cold Gevurtztraiminer [or warm Merlot] when you get here - just say when - but you've gotta bring a fun car or no booze.

Dave

60mga
60mga New Reader
7/13/11 5:30 p.m.

Heh, thanks Dave! Well, more than likely I'll be there with the Miata. I hope that's fun enough. A del sol wouldn't be bad except that I'd have to wait even longer for collector plates than with my '91. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I don't want to go as old as a corvair just for the reliabilty issues. I'd rather not get standed in the mountains if at all possible and there are some steep climbs that get a car hot if it isn't in top shape. So with that said, could I really depend on a TR8 in hot temps or in bad rain storms? We get them all in the drives through the mountains. Man, could I go from a miata to a Lebaron rag top? That would be quite the change. I'll have to drive an bimmer e30 convertible to see what it's like. The slushbox cars sure are cheap and might be nice for the parking lot that always happens when funnelling back into Vancouver... Pretty boring for everything else, I guess.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
7/14/11 10:23 a.m.

When I first bought my 1979 Fiat in 1999, it was not yet considered much of a "classic". Now it gets some recognition and status. The early Miatas are quickly getting there. You have the MG for one purpose and the Miata for another but both are small sportscars. My Miata has good A/C and that makes a huge difference for highway use and comfort. Cheers Ron

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
7/14/11 11:37 a.m.

Maybe it's different in Canada, but I have collector-car insurance (Hagerty) on my '88 BMW 325is and standard registration, although I'm planning apply for classic tags soon (mainly to avoid the yearly emmissions testing).

60mga
60mga New Reader
7/14/11 7:05 p.m.

Ya, unless the car has a world wide limited production run of 1500 or less and it's 15 years old or older then you have to wait 25 years before putting collector plates on in BC. I have collector plates on my MGA and it's the difference between $300 a year and $1100 per year! I'm going to buy a seperate agreed value policy for the A through Hagerty Canada.

Raze
Raze Dork
7/14/11 9:06 p.m.

Don't hurt me for throwing this out there, but: Cadillac Allante. Before you kill me, first I would avoid the Northstar cars, stripped headbolts are a common problem on pre-2000 Northstars, and while they're wonderful motors they are expensive/difficult to repair. I'd go 4.9L, almost as much torque as a Northstar and it's all down low, replacements are cheap and plentiful, just not the same top end. I had a 4.5L (little brother to the 4.9L) in an Eldorado, and I also had a Northstar Eldorado Touring Coupe. Both were wonderful highway cars. FWD with that massive engine up front = poor turning performance at lower speeds, but great stability at higher speeds. I'm not a big automatic fan but the 4 speeds GM put around those V8s was as good as you'll ever get. Just a thought.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
7/15/11 9:08 a.m.
60mga wrote: Ya, unless the car has a world wide limited production run of 1500 or less and it's 15 years old or older then you have to wait 25 years before putting collector plates on in BC. I have collector plates on my MGA and it's the difference between $300 a year and $1100 per year! I'm going to buy a seperate agreed value policy for the A through Hagerty Canada.

But do you HAVE to have collector plates to get collector insurance? Hagerty doesn't seem to care. Hell, when I insured the BMW, I jokingly asked the rep about insuring our '07 MINI convertible, since its use pretty much falls under the "collector car" criteria, but obviously has normal tags. Much to my surprise, she said they couldn't in PA, but in NJ (where the car is actually registered) it's very likely.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
7/15/11 10:36 a.m.

Two year old Mustang convertible sounds like the answer.

That said, I used to put more than a few 1000 mile days in the saddle of my 90 Miata, and have never found any other car that kept me that happy for that long. Not just the comfort of the seats, but the whole driving experience.

As you can tell, I am contemplating the Mustang. It would be the DD to counterbalance the MGB GT. The hold-back is how often will I drop the top? In the Miata it was a no brainer. With the Mustang, I expect it will be more of a "Special Event" to get her topless and as such it just wont happen often enough to justify a convertible's shortcomings.

60mga
60mga New Reader
7/16/11 11:23 a.m.

I look at 25+ year old mustangs once in a while and I just keep coming back to my same answer... nah....! I actually do like the looks of the late '80's LX's, but they're no longer cheap around here. Anything newer and the insurance is too expensive. For the heck of it I will get a quote on the most basic insurance from my gov't issuer and then a quote from hagerty for comprensive and crash.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
7/18/11 9:19 a.m.

Older low performance hard top sedans are common and inexpensive. A straight or v six makes a fine cruiser but you will get no performance without major remodelling. Frankly the idea of a Comet or Nova or k-car or Fairlane has appeal to me. I wish more of these were being saved and displayed. Cheers Ron

Dave_Jorgensen
Dave_Jorgensen New Reader
7/18/11 12:15 p.m.

Ron:

When we were younger, we inherited a 2.2L K-Car wagon to use as a baby hauler. It was pretty much THE WORST car I've ever owned - my Vega GT was worse, but not by much. Seeing it go to a crusher made me happy - I don't think you want one...

Dave

60mga
60mga New Reader
7/18/11 7:04 p.m.

LOL! A K car is definitely not on the list...

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
7/19/11 11:02 a.m.

K-cars are laughable but still would be fun to take to a car show and display it accordingly. Fuzzy dice and disco clothing would get a lot of smiles.

Cheers Ron

Rupert
Rupert Reader
7/20/11 10:02 a.m.

I was just cruising the site and noticed a great looking RX7 convertible. The 88's or so to early 90's edition is big, comfortable, pretty fast, & gorgeous.

And from those I know who own or have owned them, they are a classic that starts everyday.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/20/11 2:41 p.m.

My vote is also for the TR8. These are terrific cars and lots of fun and for some reason still way too inexpensive for how rare and great they are.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
7/20/11 6:13 p.m.

Let me offer a perfect option not far from your MGA. An MGC!

They are great long distance touring cars - I've run mine from Vancouver down to Lake Tahoe, Napa etc., you keep the top up on the highway and then take it down for puttering around the towns. Decent mileage as they all had OD as well.

Left a Mazda RX7 like it was standing when we hit the hilly part of the Coquihalla.

fhalA
fhalA New Reader
8/6/11 12:34 a.m.

an audi 90 would be very nice but I think bmw are also a great option.,

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
8/10/11 11:30 a.m.

I've got to ditto the TR8 the fourth time. That's why I own one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OmlwuU5t3098fBcIPXGjXOMnOIEcenh1mLnMESAkDJg5Ex6YStmnwghZtLfhE7l3