1 2
CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
10/8/08 10:54 a.m.

My wife has decided she wants a classic car for her next regular driver. We'll still have the Volvo, Miata, and motorcylce, and her commute is only 4 miles each way, so it's not a horrible idea.

She liked the Miata until I set it up for autocross (stiffer suspension, alignment that makes it wander, sticky tires, manual steering).

She has zero interest in the common LBCs.

She has expressed interest in a Volvo 1800. On the face of it, it should be a decent choice. Parts are available, prices aren't too painful, attractive design, and not as boring/common as an MGB.

What other similar cars should we also consider? I'm thinking the following requirements: - readily available parts (and reasonably priced) - <=$10,000 for a good example (I don't want to restore something - this is a buy and drive affair) - 2 or 4 door, sedan or coupe - no convertibles - relatively comfortable (think GT/touring, not Lotus 7) - european, or euro-looking

rconlon
rconlon Reader
10/8/08 11:16 a.m.

My friend just showed me her new 69 Mustang. $10,000 would get a nice one.

Cheers Ron

Ian F
Ian F Reader
10/8/08 11:38 a.m.

My girlfriend has a Volvo 1800ES (I have one as well), although she does not use it as an everyday driver (shows and w/e drives, mainly).

There are two possible issues with the 1800 that may or may not be relavent to you:

1. Seating position. It's kinda set up for tallish drivers. If your wife is short or has short legs, this may be an issue.

2. Steering. No 1800 ever came with power steering and the effort when parking can be considerable. Retrofitting has been done, but it's neither cheap nor easy.

Most cars are 4 spd w/ electric overdrive. Later cars had a Borg-Warner 3 speed automatic as an option (and generally considered to be avoided). On the plus side, it's not hard to find an 1800 with dealer installed a/c, if that is a concern.

Basically: make sure she drives one before buying. Join the local VCOA or VSA chapter. It shouldn't be hard to find an owner nearby willing to let you take it for a spin.

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
10/8/08 11:45 a.m.

Ian,

I hear that heavy steering comment about 1800s all the time, and they don't have to be that way. The most common cause is an overtightened steering gearbox -- they're simply not designed to have zero play, and many people try to get it all out of them. The second most common cause is an overtightened idler arm bushing. I've corrected both on may cars that came through my shop.

WilD
WilD Reader
10/8/08 11:50 a.m.

Has she seen a classic Mini? My wife loves them, but they are out of the question for her commute.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
10/8/08 12:51 p.m.

While I won't deny that something could be wrong with the steering, I stand by my comment. An 1800 with perfect steering will still need more effort than a car with power steering - especially if p/s is what you're used to.

Try before buying.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
10/8/08 1:06 p.m.

Karmann-Ghia : Pretty in a world beyond their costs, cheap parts, easy to work on. Get one without rust. Slow but easy to hop up.

BMW 2002: Practical, fun to drive. Parts are a little spendy.

Volvo 122: Similar to the 2002, but slower.

Type III VW: Square or Fastback. A little quirky, but can be fun.

Corvair: cheap, cheap and really pretty.

MGB-GT: Really pretty, decent performing.

Porsche 912: You can find a decent one in that price range, and it will appreciate in value. Spendy parts. Good performance. Pretty too.

Porsche 914: Not really pretty, fun to drive. Hard top convertible so that's an option. Shift pattern takes some work to get used to.

Fiat X1/9: Like the 914 but a little easier to drive.

1st Gen MR2: Easy drive. Modern performance. Not very practical.

1st Gen RX7: Fun fun fun, cheap, thirsty.

240Z: great car, watch the rust. Heavy steering. Cheap parts.

Porsche 924(s)/944/928: fairly modern. 928 are awesome GTs. Part$$$

Alfa GTV/Alfetta GTV/6: 105 GTVs are gorgeous, parts are $$. GTV6s lack build quality and often suffer from shoddy maintenance. V6 wails!

Gotta work, will add more later

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
10/8/08 2:29 p.m.

Volvo 122: Already being considered.

Type III VW: Will have to research these.

Corvair: I like them, she doesn't so much, not sure why. Will have to find one locally for her to see in person.

MGB-GT: I'd love one, she has no interest. I think she sees them as a middle-aged guy's car.

Porsche 912: Really within our budget? If so, it moves to the top of the list.

Porsche 914: I'd rather have a 912.

Alfa GTV/Alfetta GTV/6: probably a bit more modern looking than what she wants. I could see a 105, but I'm not sure they're in the price range.

She is def. gravitating to 1950s, 1960s bodywork, and not the more modern looking stuff from the 1970s.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
10/8/08 4:36 p.m.

The Fiat 124 Spider might suit her. It is modern with 60's styling and she is unlikely to ever pass another. Your price range would buy a nice one with some left over for a full recondition.

cheers Ron

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers New Reader
10/8/08 4:42 p.m.

Maybe I shouldn't post this but... eBay 912.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/8/08 11:28 p.m.

I have also seen a few 912s for less than $10k lately.

David S. Wallens
10/8/08 11:35 p.m.

And as a friend once said, the 912 is just the final evolution of the 356.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/9/08 5:28 a.m.

If it's to be her car, let her have input in what it might be. Pay attention to the cues she gives you. A Miata is a convertible, and she liked it, yet you ruled a convertible out for some reason.

No rule that says you can't have two miatas, one for you, one for her.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
10/9/08 5:55 a.m.

Some good ideas. About the Corvairs = make sure you show her both generations. My wife really likes the early ones, while I think the 2nd gen body is way sexier. So we are at an impasse.

I am not one to jump on the 912 bandwagon. The costs of maintaining the 356 engine and it's ho-hum performance just don't make sense when you can buy a newer, better, faster, cheaper, more reliable 911SC for not much more. I looked at the options long and hard when I was considering a 911/912 and the 4 cylinder cars just don't make sense.

I really like the Volvo 122 myself and think it offers a great alternative. There's also the Saab 96 with the V4 though the column shift may turn her off. I wouldn't recommend an early 99 with the Triumph engine.

Mustangs, Falcons, Ramblers, Valiants and Larks at first glance may not seem appealing. However, when you consider the simplicity, parts availability, low price and reliability (do you really want to rely on a vintage foreign car every day?) they can offer some great alternatives. If I did not live in the rust belt, I would drive a 64-65 Falcon as a daily driver.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
10/9/08 8:32 a.m.

[quote]If it's to be her car, let her have input in what it might be.[/quote]

I am, just getting ideas of what to show her. She def. seems to have a sense of what she wants, from an aesthetic standpoint, so it's just a matter of picking a few models to go and see in person.

I just need to be sure whatever we get I can keep running without bankrupting myself, otherwise it will just be a very expensive waste of garage space.

[quote]do you really want to rely on a vintage foreign car every day?[/quote]

We won't be. We'll still have the newer Volvo, Miata, and Harley.

She showed a lot of interest in the early Corvair (must be a chick thing, I like the later ones better).

And she has officially nixed the 912. Doesn't look unique enough.

She owned an early MR2 when they were new, and almost cried when I told her it was now almost a vintage car.

The Alfa and Type III were "maybes."

rconlon
rconlon Reader
10/9/08 9:32 a.m.

"Mustangs, Falcons, Ramblers, Valiants and Larks at first glance may not seem appealing. However, when you consider the simplicity, parts availability, low price and reliability (do you really want to rely on a vintage foreign car every day?) they can offer some great alternatives. If I did not live in the rust belt, I would drive a 64-65 Falcon as a daily driver."

Dwight:

I agree 100 percent. Straight 6 or small 8 and modern A/C. Everything is available to make these up with safe handling and brakes.

Cheers Ron

Trevor
Trevor Dork
10/9/08 10:09 a.m.

'62 Olds F-85 with the 215CI V8. ... I still miss that car...

Gary
Gary Reader
10/9/08 12:01 p.m.

another Miata ... stock suspension

David S. Wallens
10/9/08 12:42 p.m.

Redoing the suspension on my Miata made it so much more drivable, yet I don't think it got any slower. Ground Control coil-overs with the right rates make a big difference. (And I'm running urethane bushings, too.)

For something older, I'd agree about the Mustang. Add some aftermarket air, and you could have a neat daily driver.

rconlon
rconlon Reader
10/9/08 1:25 p.m.

My wife is very fond of her Miata in stock form as is my son who drives it at every occasion. Perhaps, on your Miata, the tires and the toe in could be adjusted more for street use and find her favor again.

Cheers Ron

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/9/08 1:26 p.m.

I'm not sure how funky, or wacky her tastes are, but Gremlins and Pacers are cheap, and easy to maintain while being.......different....really different.

Another good choice may be a VW Thing, or Beetle.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
10/9/08 4:32 p.m.

My sister-in-law desires a THING very badly. What little I've picked up from the brother-in-law married to her is they only sold them for one year, they rusted like mad, and they are highly collectible amongst the hemp-happy air cooled VW camp. Meaning, a good one ain't cheap. Oh yeah, and they have side curtains, which suck donkey butt.

OTOH, a Beetle is actually a rare sight today and I always do a double take when I catch one on the road. What once was commonplace is now 'unique'.

Group44registry
Group44registry New Reader
10/9/08 5:42 p.m.

I got a classic car for my wife.......best trade I ever made.

Sorry, sorry....but I HAD to say it.

-Rick

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/9/08 6:12 p.m.

I don't think I'd be worried about which ones to show her yet. Just point out various things as you drive around and take mental notes of what she expresses interest in.

A classic car is an emotional decision. It's not based on inteligence or practicality.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers New Reader
10/9/08 8:42 p.m.

"A classic car is an emotional decision. It's not based on inteligence or practicality."

Ain't that the truth!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wgPxxr0VoBcv6YFc0R5Cd5zRXpyoscfSPMetmvET7oDz1WbkPCovqGivyqMsPiyp