1 2 3 4
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/22/17 7:39 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

Yeah... at least half the vendors were packing up Sat night, so if you can only go on Sunday you'll be disappointed. We were talking to a guy on Sunday and he was amused at how emissions parts were sellers for him. Conversely, I mentioned I had picked up a LBC charcoal canister and two brackets from a trash pile left by a vendor. He just shook his head...

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
5/22/17 6:22 p.m.

BTW, back in the mid 1970s there was one of these gamely racing at Seattle. It wasn't fast, but it seemed reliable. Guy missed a shift coming onto the main straight once, when I was set up to draft him, and I nearly bunted him!

patgizz
patgizz MegaDork
6/5/17 10:41 p.m.

The guy in Oregon reached out to me. He said that this would be th 6th known to still exist. 4 in france and his are the other 5.

He mentioned when ready that he would be willing to have a mold pulled from his bonnet . That would be a colossal hurdle, i'm sure it will not be cheap and then i'd have to have it shipped across the country but the money spent would be probably hundreds of hours saved making a form to lay my own mold based solely off pictures and guesswork.

If this happens i may have to go to Oregon to get the mold and take detailed pics and measurements of his car.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/6/17 6:00 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Awesome!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/6/17 6:44 a.m.

This is good news.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
6/6/17 8:00 a.m.

"If this happens i may have to go to Oregon to get the mold and take detailed pics and measurements of his car."

Head out a week early, buy the materials and help him splash it. Good Will A-Go-Go ! ! !

I've had a fiberglass Karmann Ghia front clip (same as the one that came with your car) out back for three or four years now. No use for it, but it's so cool and stylish that I had to grab it.

Got the rear clip/fenders/doors/cowl from an MGA, thinking that a "Karmann Ghia" roadster might well be in my future.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/6/17 8:05 a.m.

Sweeeeet

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/15/17 11:38 a.m.

so photobucket has my pics held hostage. working on that.

today, actually about 40 minutes ago, I won a complete panhard sedan which is going to be used for the drivetrain, brakes, wheels, any bad suspension bits as the panhard was the basis for this little Devin.

the initial buy-in of the devin plus the donor sedan are below challenge money, and from there it's mostly labor plus i've got several contacts who will most likely buy the remains of the panhard sedan. there's a chance that this piece of history could be assembled and show up at a future $20xx event, just because it appears that everything that's left is labor, which is all up to me.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/15/17 12:11 p.m.

This is good news.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/15/17 12:39 p.m.

Dude this car is so much more than Awsome.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/15/17 12:50 p.m.

Awesome beyond words.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/15/17 1:06 p.m.

You rock! \m/

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/16/17 8:07 p.m.

So what i have landed is a 1959 Panhard Dyna. Almost all the guts are the same as the Devin. Where the shifter enters the gearbox is different, but it appears i could switch top plates on the box and be good to go. Mechanically it looks like it was maybe 15 years since it's run judging on battery. It has a gas can hooked up to the fuel pump. Everything looks solid that I need, and theres even a fifth wheel in the trunk!

Engine turned by hand and felt like it had good compression, and nothing is missing. It looks like this Dyna will be all I need to source besides having the guy in Oregon figure out a mold for the bonnet.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
7/16/17 9:10 p.m.

That is frickin' awesome news!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/16/17 9:39 p.m.

Tell me about it. I was thinking i was going to have to buy a bmw motorcycle to rape for the engine because it's the most similar thing around to the panhard two cylinder. The Panhard collector who most likely was the one bidding against me made the mistake last month of letting me know there was one in this auction. He left his card on the seat, i'm going to email him a picture of his card and let him know where it went. Then i'll ask him to make an offer on what's left(the body and glass) to recoup some money.

Cool thing i learned today. 4th gear is .77 overdrive

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/18/17 7:08 a.m.

Very cool. Guess I need to check my own classified ads forum more often. That is a neat find.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/18/17 7:42 p.m.

Oregon guy just emailed me again saying he took delivery of his a couple weeks ago. It's going to be restored, and is not anywhere near as rough as mine but he verified the thought that this is a true devin built frame/body based on pictures of my chassis alongside his less molested example.

I replied mentioning a possible 3d scan of the bonnet but if he is willing to get a mold pulled like he mentioned, knowing his car is not in paint or bodywork yet, i'm more accepting of that. I misread, thinking his car was already restored when i was tentative about taking him up on the offer of having a mold made for me.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
7/19/17 10:41 a.m.

This is So Cool.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
7/19/17 12:04 p.m.

Ahem...PICTURES!!

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/21/17 6:13 a.m.

Making the mold is not that difficult or expensive. I just made one of the trunk floor of a Lotus. Of course, I found a Lotus 30 miles and not 3000 miles away to make the mold off of.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/21/17 9:22 p.m.
RossD wrote: Ahem...PICTURES!!

I have them. Just working so much that I haven't sat down to the computer to upload to stampie's hosting site. Can't do it from phone.

I have made a few molds and fiberglass parts with some pretty good success. I know if i use the correct material I could do it, but I'm also not in a position financially to blow off work to drive to Oregon to make a mold.

Interesting development, he has another hood, with some damage but repairable. He said we can talk about that when I'm ready to restore mine. That particular hood is the original off the 1957 scca h mod championship car

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/21/17 9:48 p.m.

Could yours be that car?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/21/17 10:13 p.m.

No, that one is accounted for(in france). would be quite the end to the investigation!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/22/17 10:52 a.m.

here's where things are at right now. the Devin is going inside shortly, we're jockeying around cars next week. Impala got booted from the garage for the datsun to get repaired, and i've got a plan to get everything important under cover before we get to building the storage/parking garage i have plans for.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/24/17 10:54 a.m.

Are you going to keep it as a Kammback? It sure looks nice that way, maybe not "stock" but very cool looking. That rear design looks SO right when painted and striped like the Cobra Daytona.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Shelby/65-Shelby-Cobra-Daytona-num9-DV-12-MH-03.jpg

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6nYgsm0wIRdUVGolxjZJtzfKjZPOAiUJzGDCTDDVVEp6cJjdG1J6qVjAq6tXDbpM