Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/20/10 8:32 a.m.

Ever since I have owned classic cars I have made an effort to let people try them out whenever possible. This does not mean that I put every 17 year old kid behind the wheel of the cars but when a adult was interested in what the driving experience of a car I owned was like I invited them to try the car out. I did this with my Ferrari cars, the DBS, every Porsche I have owned, all the little sports cars(Alfa, Fiat, MG, Triumph) and even the Bentley.

Am I alone out there in my willingness to share my cars? I have a friend with a Miura S and SV, A 512 Boxer, a Toyota 2000GT, an XKSS and many other cars who is exactly the same way. Are we the only ones out there willing to do this?

Sownman
Sownman New Reader
7/20/10 10:16 a.m.

Wow, a Toyota 200GTand an XKSS, can I drive them ?

Seriously I've only owned a classic car for two years now, but nobodys ever asked. If they did it would become an assesment on my part of their maturity and "car guy" status but I'd probably say yes. My wife drove the Tiger once and never wants to again. Clutch too stiff and no power steering.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/20/10 10:49 a.m.

Last year I was at the big MG gathering in Breckenridge CO. I got to talking to a very nice gentleman who had a beautiful MGA. I had a female friend with me who thought the car was about the prettiest thing she had ever seen. You should have seen her face light up when the owner offered for her to drive it. She did a few laps around the parking lot with a smile so wide she nearly swallowed her ears! It was the highlight of the weekend for her, and she now has an appreciation for classic sports cars.

It is guys like this that keeps our hobby growing!

BobShaw
BobShaw
7/20/10 12:09 p.m.

I absolutely let people try my car out. And I let children sit in it for photos. Like many in the British car hobby, I am no longer a young man. If our cars are to continue we must have someone to take stewardship of our cars. The only way this will happen is if we encourage young people to become interested in these old cars. Giving them a chance to become acquainted with the car is one way to help this happen.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/20/10 3:18 p.m.
BobShaw wrote: I absolutely let people try my car out. And I let children sit in it for photos. Like many in the British car hobby, I am no longer a young man. If our cars are to continue we must have someone to take stewardship of our cars. The only way this will happen is if we encourage young people to become interested in these old cars. Giving them a chance to become acquainted with the car is one way to help this happen.

Yes, what he said. Nicely put.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
7/20/10 4:03 p.m.

Mmmm, not so much.

I've let others drive them, but I'm almost always the passenger. And they are usually related to me by blood or marriage. Or I know them really, really well. Strangers can ride with me, but I'm driving.

Sorry, but I worked damned hard for many years to get these cars. If you really want to drive one, git yer own.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
7/20/10 4:21 p.m.

I used to. Now they'd have to sit in my garage and make noises! It's in several large pieces.

Seriously though, I used to swap cars all the time with people when I autocrossed. (we used to take bets when they drove the X1/9 about how long it would take to spin it), and I've given a bunch of rides in my Alfas, Fiats, Triumphs, etc. to random people that have shown interest at car shows or even the mall.

I also used to let kids of all types sit in my old ITA MR2. Never underestimate the impact of letting a kid sit in a car with a roll cage. None of them left without a huge smile and it only takes a minute of your time.

When we did the NASCAR gig, we also used to let kids sit in the car when they had pit walk-throughs, assuming the car was intact and ready to go. Not many people did and we'd always get some of the loudest cheers in driver introduction because of it. It makes a difference.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/21/10 5:54 a.m.
BobShaw wrote: I absolutely let people try my car out. And I let children sit in it for photos. Like many in the British car hobby, I am no longer a young man. If our cars are to continue we must have someone to take stewardship of our cars. The only way this will happen is if we encourage young people to become interested in these old cars. Giving them a chance to become acquainted with the car is one way to help this happen.

Yep, what he said.

At car shows I normally have a sign saying hop in and try it on. Or words to that effect. I get a a kick out of finding toddler footprints on my seats. And when they discover my horn works by pushing that lever, well, lets just say we all know there's a kid in it. I love watching the grins on their faces as they beep away with gleeful enthusiasm. What's the worse that's going to happen? Someone's going to break a switch or maybe run my battery down. Big deal.

Young or old, all are welcome to take a ride in it, and try driving it if they wish. It's just a machine. I'm not an idiot, I don't just toss the keys to a drunken 17 year old. But equally, I like passing the torch on to others, or igniting it in them in the first place. Sitting there in the passenger seat, watching someone behind the wheel discover for themselves the facinating wonder of an old car, all those smells, the feedback and such, man, that's priceless. When they get out wide eyed with a SEG plastered across their face... yea, please do experience my old car.

boeingpilot
boeingpilot New Reader
7/21/10 12:45 p.m.

Usually by them time they complete the day of instruction, take the written exam and fill out the driving history review form they loose interest...

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
7/21/10 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Andy Reid:

Sure, why not? They are afterall, just cars.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/21/10 2:10 p.m.
Sownman wrote: Seriously I've only owned a classic car for two years now, but nobodys ever asked.

I don't know that I've ever had anyone ever directly ask me either. But it's often times written all over their face and in their body language, that they would love to drive it or go for a ride in it.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/21/10 8:56 p.m.

I do let them sit in it, especially at shows. I encourage youngsters to sit in it and I'll show them how to work things like the manual roll-over headlights. Now driving it is a different story though. If I'm sure they can I'll let them, usually with me in the passenger seat.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
7/24/10 5:16 p.m.

my Jaguar XJS roadster is Right hand drive, people get all frustrated when they see that, and come up with all types of remarks.

xjs is wide and low, its cool!

NO i dont let anyone drive it, unless i know there abilities!

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/26/10 2:19 p.m.

Just to show that I do what I say I do, if any readers going to Monterey want to try out my new DB7 please let me know.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
7/26/10 8:32 p.m.

you should see people who never driven a RHD car get out of a tight parking garage, ive seen it crash and bang.

a DB7 with crash record????? I dont think so.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/27/10 7:37 a.m.
Andy Reid wrote: Just to show that I do what I say I do, if any readers going to Monterey want to try out my new DB7 please let me know.

That, I have driven. And to brag in a major way, I drove the very first V12 prototype- barely a few days after it was finished. Even had it at home for a week.

The fourth prototype, I took for a long drive through the english countryside when they suggested that there wasn't much else to do that day.

One of the best working days ever- up on a traction control trip, end of the day, end of the week- seeing how many times you could go around the 400ft ice circle, sideways. Amazing what one can get paid to do...

Very proud of my involvement of the comeback of Aston Martin.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
7/27/10 4:32 p.m.

Did anyone understand the "DB7 with a crash record" post?

Also my DB7 is LHD and not RHD. I have owned RHD cars in the U.S. and would no longer consider doing it unless there was no other choice like a Ferrari 166 or a Jaguar D-type.

Alfadriver what did you do with Aston Martin? Would love to discuss relating to some upcoming articles in the magazine

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ntT7E3p6pRPGGmCKoUJGWOp6rQMl2WjsnwUILnraTbMKlzkH00cRJkHMTNiDRWkZ